Hooked on Books discussion

Archive > GROUP bingo: Round 1!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brave (last edited Aug 09, 2018 02:38PM) (new)

Brave (bravereads) Hello, everyone! Welcome to our first round of GROUP BINGO! (For our INDIVIDUAL bingo, click here.)

For this edition of bingo, participants will work together to try to completely cover the bingo card! You can do as many or as few of the challenges you would like, but try to remember that this is a group effort!

The first person to post a book that fits a challenge will get credit for finishing that challenge. So for example, if Sgt. Pepper posts that he read a book he got from the library before anyone else did, he would get credit for that task, and it would be marked as “completed” on the bingo card.

The group bingo card is also a bit more difficult than the individual bingo card, which I think makes sense. It’s easy to complete harder tasks in general with the support of people cheering you on!

This bingo challenge will run from July 1, 2018 until the bingo card is covered, and then there will be a NEW group bingo challenge. Here’s our current bingo card (green squares are completed challenges):

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Only books started on or after July 1, 2018 will count toward this challenge. When you’ve finished a challenge, post the challenge you completed with the book that fits it! I’ll keep track of our bingo card, and update it as we complete challenges.

If you’d like to participate, go ahead and say so below! Please start a new message thread for each challenge completed as it will make it easier for me to track. :) Thank you!

(As with the individual bingo, the post below will clarify these challenges a little bit, but if you have more questions, feel free to ask them!)

message 2: by Brave (last edited Jul 01, 2018 07:25PM) (new)

Brave (bravereads) From left to right across the card:

a book you were assigned to read for school but never read: Honor System here! Any book you needed to read for a class (middle school, high school, A levels, university) will count, as long as you didn’t finish it completely. For this one, I could read The Grapes of Wrath (uni) or The Tall Woman (high school), just for example.

a book of poetry over 150 pages: I find most poetry collections I’ve read are 144 pages or less. This is one just to break out of that a little bit. A couple I know are longer than 150 pages: Bright Star: The Complete Poems & Selected Letters of John Keats and I Wrote This For You

a book about dragons: This is also pretty self-explanatory. Examples: Eragon, Seraphina, The Hobbit. As long as a dragon is a fairly large part of the plot, I’ll count it!

a book written by an author whose last name begins with a W: Many of these are self-explanatory, probably. But examples, anyway: Sarah Waters, Lauren Weisberger, Edith Wharton, Scott Westerfeld

any book that Hooked on Books has done as a group read: There’s a folder on the main page of the group for Groups Reads! Some of the ones we’ve done: Ready Player One, The Magicians, Vicious. Series read-a-longs will also count: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Cinder.

a book written by a female author: Self-explanatory, examples: Suzanne Collins, Sarah Moss, Jane Austen

a book with a mostly white cover: If the cover is ~50%+ white, I will count it.
The Cranes Dance by Meg Howrey , A Room with a View by E.M. Forster , Ariel by Sylvia Plath

a book published for the first time more than 80 years ago: The Odyssey, Wuthering Heights, Treasure Island, The Time Machine. These are just some examples. Any books published in or before 1937 will count. The Goodreads page for a book shows the first date a book was published, and if you have questions about that, I’d be happy to help!

a non-fiction read: As long or as short as you can find it, if the book’s genre is non-fiction, it will count. This includes biographies, autobiographies, memoirs, non-fiction science books, or non-fiction historical accounts, to name a few.

a YA book that is over 400 pages: Any book you would consider YA (yes, including classics like Little Women that were really written before YA was a genre), as long as it is over 400 pages. Some examples: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Eragon, The Miseducation of Cameron Post, The Unexpected Everything

a book with a “sky word” in the title: Sky, moon, atmosphere, cloud, star, sun, planet, even airplane or jet, if it is in or above our sky on earth, I’ll count it! Ex: The Sun Is Also a Star, New Moon, When Breath Becomes Air

a book published for the first time between 1950 and 1975: Self-explanatory, as are most of these. Check the Goodreads page for the book to see when it was first published. Examples: East of Eden (1952), Play It as It Lays (1970), The Last Unicorn (1968)

ANY BOOK you get from the library: Exactly what it says. You can read absolutely any book you want to count for this challenge, as long as you got it out from the library. Honor system!

a book that is #3 in a series or trilogy: Think Mockingjay, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, or The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

a graphic novel or graphic memoir: Here’s to you, Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic, Epileptic, Watchmen, The Complete Maus, Blankets, Batman: The Killing Joke. If you’d like to consult a list, this is a good one.

a middle grade book: Any book written for tweens/middle schools/really, to me, ages 9-13. Some of my favorites: Wonder, The War that Saved My Life, The Invention of Hugo Cabret. This list may be a helpful jumping off point: click here.

a book that takes place in a country other than your own: Self-explanatory. If you live in America, read a book that takes place anywhere other than America. If you live in England, pick a book anywhere other than England. Let me know the country you’re from and the country your book is set in when you claim this task.

a book told in an interesting format: You can interpret this how you’d like, just explain it to me when you claim this challenge! I was thinking specifically of epistolary novels (like Evelina, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society) or books like Illuminae.

a book over 750 pages: Any book you want to read, 751 pages or longer. Self-explanatory. Goodreads page. I think you get it. ;)

a book about a circus or carnival: The Carnivorous Carnival, Joyland (I think), The Night Circus, probably The Gracekeepers, Water for Elephants. There are some examples, but this is pretty self-explanatory again.

a book with trees on the cover: And the Trees Crept In by Dawn Kurtagich , The Word for World is Forest by Ursula K. Le Guin , The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge . If there’s one recognizable tree on the cover, it counts! (Basically, nothing that’s just leaves, but I’d count a few branches.)

a book with a title that has less than 10 letters in it: Another self-explanatory challenge, but here are some examples: The Girls, March, Ariel, Divergent, Stargirl, Eragon. It’s not as hard as it sounds to find one, I promise!

a book with the name of a big cat in the title: Any big cat will work. Leopard, Panther, Jaguar, Lion, Cheetah, Tiger...I’m sure there are others that I’m forgetting, but those are the main ones. Ex: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Snow Leopard, The Tiger's Wife

a short story collection: It can be by a single author or an anthology, as long as these are a collection of short stories! Some of my favorites are Birds of a Lesser Paradise: Stories, Sweet Home, A Guide to Being Born: Stories. Some YA ones, if that’s more your thing: Welcome Home, Summer Days and Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories, Lips Touch: Three Times.

a book about a relationship: Grab the sunny summer contemporary romance you’ve been saving for the season. Give Pride and Prejudice a re-read. From what I understand, Far from the Tree is a story about siblings. Since You've Been Gone, I think, is about friendship. If you read a book that has a relationship that is central to the story, it counts!

That’s it! If you have more questions, ask them below! Good luck, everyone!

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) I'm in!

message 5: by matilde (new)

matilde (matiswonderland) I´m in!

message 6: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (birdwithabrain) | 92 comments I'm in!

message 7: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (slytherdor1987) | 91 comments I'm in. This sounds like it should be fun. :)

message 8: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 216 comments I'm in

message 9: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Lynn Im in!!!

message 10: by zahraa (new)

zahraa al lawati (laloolawati) I’m in!!!
This is exciting.

message 11: by Charley Girl (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 42 comments I'd like to play too!

message 12: by Sierra (last edited Jul 02, 2018 03:41PM) (new)

Sierra Lynn I'd like to claim the spot (a book written by a female author) The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black By Holly Black

*** Finished!

message 13: by Lemonitsa (new)

Lemonitsa | 107 comments I’m in!

message 14: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Sierra wrote: "I'd like to claim the spot (a book written by a female author)The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black By Holly Black

*** Finished!"

Hooray! I've updated our bingo card above.

message 15: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (slytherdor1987) | 91 comments Finished After You (Me Before You, #2) by Jojo Moyes (a book with a title that has less than 10 letters in it)

How do we update the board?

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Catherine wrote: "Finished After You (Me Before You, #2) by Jojo Moyes (a book with a title that has less than 10 letters in it)

How do we update the board?"

I believe Brave updates it.

message 17: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela | 47 comments I'm in!

A question... What if we read a book that fits more than one open challenge? Do we choose the task it will go for or do we list all the possibilities in case someone else is working towards one of those tasks?

message 18: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Gabriela wrote: "I'm in!

A question... What if we read a book that fits more than one open challenge? Do we choose the task it will go for or do we list all the possibilities in case someone else is working towar..."

You can pick whichever task you want for the book! First one to complete a book and claim a challenge for it will get it marked off the bingo card. :) It's a group effort with no set end date, so I feel like doing it this way is fair.

Having said that, if anyone else has other ideas, you can 100% post them here and I will take them into consideration! :) This is a brand new thing, so if there are ways to make it more fun, I'm so here for your suggestions!

message 19: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Catherine wrote: "Finished After You (Me Before You, #2) by Jojo Moyes (a book with a title that has less than 10 letters in it)

How do we update the board?"

Yes, like Nicole said, I'll update it! That way, everyone can play and I can make sure tasks don't get accidentally filled in or anything like that. (You all have someone to blame! haha. ;) )

But I've updated our card to reflect your completed challenge! Yay!

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 313 comments I'm in!

message 21: by Joni (new)

Joni | 88 comments i'm in!

message 22: by Amanda (last edited Jul 04, 2018 04:35AM) (new)

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 313 comments Finished
a book published for the first time more than 80 years ago:

Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie
Read 3/07/18

Published in 1937

Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot #17) by Agatha Christie

message 23: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Amanda wrote: "Finished
a book published for the first time more than 80 years ago:"

Hooray! I've updated our bingo card. :)

message 24: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela | 47 comments Finished Roomies by Christina Lauren on July 4th for a book that takes place in a country other than your own.

I'm form Uruguay and the book is set in New York.

message 25: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) I updated our bingo card to reflect all our completed challenges!

You guys are doing so well!!

message 26: by Joni (new)

Joni | 88 comments Finished Renegades (Renegades, #1) YA over 400 pages

message 27: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Jonidyan wrote: "Finished YA over 400 pages"

The card has been updated!

message 28: by zahraa (new)

zahraa al lawati (laloolawati) Finished The Witch Doesn't Burn In This One (Women Are Some Kind Of Magic, #2) by Amanda Lovelace for poetry collection over 150 pages.

message 29: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Broyles | 535 comments Finished "Naked Sun" by Isaac Asimov for the "book with a "sky word" in the title!

The Naked Sun (Robot, #2) by Isaac Asimov

message 30: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Card updated! Look at all those green squares!!!

You all are killin' it!

message 31: by Joni (last edited Jul 09, 2018 09:47AM) (new)

Joni | 88 comments Finished A Little Bit Wicked: Life, Love, and Faith in Stages for the Non-fiction read on 7/7

message 32: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Broyles | 535 comments Just noticed that I didn't do the "I'm in" comment, but I'm in! I'm going to try to do the individual one too. Gotta quit watching so much Netflix and do more reading!

message 33: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (birdwithabrain) | 92 comments Finished Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3) by Brandon Sanderson for a book over 750 pages!

message 34: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Our card has been updated!

message 35: by Joni (new)

Joni | 88 comments Finished The One That Got Away for the book about a relationship

message 36: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (slytherdor1987) | 91 comments finished Sleeping Giants (Themis Files, #1) by Sylvain Neuvel for ANY book for your library 7/9.

and

finished Saga, Vol. 8 (Saga, #8) by Brian K. Vaughan for graphic novel 7/9.

message 37: by Joni (last edited Jul 11, 2018 04:35PM) (new)

Joni | 88 comments Finished The Time Machine for the author whose last name begins with a W

message 38: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) I updated the card! We're so close to our first few bingos!

message 39: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Broyles | 535 comments "Robots of Dawn" is book #3 of The Robot series

The Robots of Dawn (Robot #3) by Isaac Asimov

message 40: by Joni (new)

Joni | 88 comments Finished Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (Charlie Bucket, #2) for a book published 1950-1975 (1972)

message 41: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (birdwithabrain) | 92 comments Finished The Trilogy of Two by Juman Malouf for a middle-grade book

and

finished Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1) by Jay Kristoff if that's white enough for 'mostly white cover'?

message 42: by Leane (last edited Jul 12, 2018 12:37PM) (new)

Leane I wish I was playing! I just finished Love Lives Here Finding What You Need in a World Telling You What You Want by Maria Goff for a mostly white cover.

message 43: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Leane wrote: "I wish I was playing! I just finished Love Lives Here Finding What You Need in a World Telling You What You Want by Maria Goff for a mostly white cover."

There's still time if you want in! :)

message 44: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Fail wrote: "Finished The Trilogy of Two by Juman Malouf for a middle-grade book

and

finished Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1) by Jay Kristoff if that's white enough for 'mostly white cover'?"

Definitely enough white in my book, but even if it weren't, the person who posted right after you would've had it! :) So no worries!

message 45: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) We have THREE bingos! Great job, everybody!! The card is finally updated.

message 46: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Lynn Finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen for a book about a circus or carnival

message 47: by Joni (last edited Jul 16, 2018 09:47AM) (new)

Joni | 88 comments Finished Blue Christmas (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #3) for book with trees on the cover

message 48: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) I am not sure if A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin counts as a book about dragons or not. If not, that's okay.

message 49: by Joni (new)

Joni | 88 comments Finished Horrorstör for the book in an interesting format (chapters begin with fake Ikea-like items; from furniture to torture devices)
Not sure if anyone else would agree with this one.. If not, that's cool.

message 50: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Jonidyan wrote: "Finished for the book in an interesting format (chapters begin with fake Ikea-like items; from furniture to torture devices)
Not sure if anyone else would agree with this one.. If not, that's cool."

I'd count this!

Nicole wrote: "I am not sure if A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin counts as a book about dragons or not. If not, that's okay."

100% count this!

« previous 1