Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Reading: Nominations > September 2018 - Dystopia & Space Opera

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
A new round of nominations for our upcoming reads. The themed bookshelves are Dystopia and Space Opera . As usual every member is welcome to put forward two novels from either of the bookshelves.

However, this month we would like to try giving every member the ability to cast two votes during the poll phase. Besides the regular voting every member can leave a comment with the second pick.

message 2: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
One of the authors I am planning on nominating is John Brunner, there are 3 of his books eligible for nominations so if anybody is familiar with the author please feel free to recommend one.

message 3: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
I love that Art is so on top of the nominations. Thanks again Art, for just being awesome at keeping us in line!

I'm going to nominate the 1st and 2nd book of the Earthseed series. I've read some of Octavia E. Butler and she is hands down one of my top favorite authors.

Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents

message 4: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 2335 comments Mod
For Dystopia, any of the three Brunner books would be good, although I need to find a copy of The Jagged Orbit.

For Space Opera, I'd like to nominate The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi. I've had this one in my list since I first picked up Scalzi about a year ago. The second book in the series is out as well.

message 5: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Bryan wrote: "I love that Art is so on top of the nominations. Thanks again Art, for just being awesome at keeping us in line!
"

I'm just randomly anal like that, trying my best to set all the threads and polls up first thing in the beginning of the month.

The second nomination I would like to put forward is Ken MacLeod's Learning the World: A Scientific Romance

message 7: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 4054 comments Mod
I have looked over the lists and I think these are as good as any . . .
so I abstain from nominating

message 8: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
We'll be putting up the poll soon, in case anybody wants to put their own nominations forward, the time's come!

message 9: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

I already cannot decide between three of these, so no more nominations are necessary IMHO!!

message 10: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 3981 comments Mod
I like Scalzi's books but Collapsing Empire is not a favorite of mine. The author for sure can do better

message 11: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Well, the only one I DON'T want is "Learning the World: A Scientific Romance" by Ken MacLeod because I don't feel like spending $8 for it. But I will if I need to. At least it's not $20 like Tau Zero was.

message 12: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Don't forget that starting this month we will be attempting a two vote system, besides the regular vote you can leave a comment with your second pick. This way we will all be able to support each other's picks.

message 13: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Once we move to the voting stage, this thread will be locked. Up until then it is never too late!

message 14: by LuthienDillon (new)

LuthienDillon | 24 comments I'd like to nominate Kallocain by Karin Boye - because that should be somewhere on my bookshelves. Or on my parents ' attic.
I read it once before and liked it, but that was long enough ago for a re-read.

message 15: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
The poll is up, have fun.

message 16: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Once again we're short on page count for the month of September, so I will throw in a "very short read" which was nominated. Kallocain is part of our "Upcoming Reads", though I actually still haven't found a copy.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.