Aussie Readers discussion

Apple Island Wife: Slow Living In Tasmania
This topic is about Apple Island Wife
Our Authors Spotlight > Upcoming book Apple Island Wife

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Stocker What happens when you leave city life behind and move to five acres in Tasmania on a hunch, with a husband who wants to be an alpaca whisperer, and a feral cockerel for company? Can you eat the cockerel for dinner? Or has it got rigor mortis?

My travel memoir Apple Island Wife is due for release with independent publisher Unbound, in August 2018.

Here's a little more about it.

In search of a good life and slower pace of living, Fiona Stocker upped sticks and took her fledgling family to Tasmania, a land of promise, wilderness, and family homes of uncertain build quality.

There they learned to live differently. They grew their own food, chopped firewood and rounded up their toddlers with a retired sheepdog. Slowly they found the landscape and seasons imprinting into the fabric of their new life.

Fiona and her alpaca whispering husband Oliver made the lifestyle move that many of us dream of, a kind of Vita and Harold Sackville-West of the southern hemisphere – but funnier.

By turns laugh-out-loud, reflective and poignant, her warm and witty memoir turns a satirical eye on the tussles of country life, and those the rest of us have, such as what it is exactly we should be doing in life, and how on earth our marriage survives.

Wife, mother and now alpaca farmer, she has written a wife’s tale about the search for a good life. Along the way she has captured the trials, adventures and euphoria of rural living in a place of untrammelled beauty – Tasmania. Wry, humorous and gently reflective, this is an everywoman’s story and a paean to new, slower age.

Here's what Steven Lamb, author and presenter of River Cottage UK said about it:

“Apple Island Wife is both heart-warming and hilarious. Filled with raw, honest real-life accounts of trying to attain the good life fuelled with a pioneering spirit and a positive attitude. Compulsive reading for anyone who has ever thought they are not living the life they should!”

You can follow Fiona through her Author Profile on Goodreads, read and review the book on its release, and read more on Fiona's blog, Apple Island Wife, and follow her as Apple Island Wife on social media too.

message 2: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 7 comments Sounds interesting Fiona - a friend of mine has Alpaca's in Victoria - and they're nasty critters if they take a dislike to you.

Fortunately hers seem to like me - but I've seen them spitting and grumbling at people they don't like :)

message 3: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 72341 comments Mod
But they are very cute!

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Fiona do you have an ISBN and page count for the title please? I can't find it anywhere except Unbound, and that has none of the information. It also has prices in pounds as well?

message 5: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Stocker Fiona wrote: "What happens when you leave city life behind and move to five acres in Tasmania on a hunch, with a husband who wants to be an alpaca whisperer, and a feral cockerel for company? Can you eat the coc..."

Sally906 wrote: "Sounds interesting Fiona - a friend of mine has Alpaca's in Victoria - and they're nasty critters if they take a dislike to you.

Fortunately hers seem to like me - but I've seen them spitting and ..."

Hi Sally! They can be very tame if you handle them from birth. But look out if you've got a grumpy one!

message 6: by Fiona (last edited Jul 14, 2018 04:21PM) (new)

Fiona Stocker Brenda wrote: "Fiona do you have an ISBN and page count for the title please? I can't find it anywhere except Unbound, and that has none of the information. It also has prices in pounds as well?"

Hi Brenda - the book is due for release in mid-August and will have an ISBN and page count then. Not long to go....

Brenda wrote: "But they are very cute!"

message 7: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph (bookspluscaffeine) This sounds fantastic- something i've dreamed of doing. I look forward to reading. How do I get my hands on a copy?

message 8: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Stocker Steph wrote: "This sounds fantastic- something i've dreamed of doing. I look forward to reading. How do I get my hands on a copy?"

Hello Steph! I'm the author. The book is due out mid August and will be available then as an ebook and shortly after that in paperback. If you're in Australia your best bet will probably be the Book Depository.

I've got a website where you can subscribe - just google Fiona Stocker writer - or Facebook and Instagram, if you'd like to be sure of getting news.
Cheers!
Fiona

message 9: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Stocker Brenda wrote: "Fiona do you have an ISBN and page count for the title please? I can't find it anywhere except Unbound, and that has none of the information. It also has prices in pounds as well?"

Hi again - the book will be priced in pounds sterling and Aussie dollars to encourage sales in both markets. Fingers crossed!

message 10: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

There doesn't appear to be any links for pre-order Steph but there's a couple you might be interested in :)

https://unbound.com/books/apple-islan...

http://www.fionastocker.com/blog

message 11: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph (bookspluscaffeine) Hi Fiona and Brenda
Thanks so much for the additional information!
Cheers