You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > July 2018 - Reporting

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Please read through the reporting thread carefully to ensure to report correctly to get your badge/s.

After you have read your chosen book(s) for this month's group theme read, please report in the thread below.

Please state what book you read (and link it), that you discussed it (and where), and briefly summarise what you thought of the book and/or link to your review if you have written one.

If you lead the discussion, please state this in your post.

Here is an example for how to report your read:

“I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and discussed it in the [Harry Potter/Buddy Read/Other books in theme] thread. I really enjoyed the book. I watched the film first so I already knew the story line but I was surprised how much I enjoyed the book more as there was more detail involved. Plus I listened to the audio which was narrated by Stephen Fry who is a superb narrator. 4 stars.”

If you read more than one book which fits the theme, please report all your reads in the same post rather than in separate posts.

Please note, there are THREE different badges that can be obtained for group reads. Those reading and discussing one of the two chosen group reads will receive a colourful badge similar to those for previous group reads. Those reading and discussing any other book in the theme will receive a stamp. The discussion leader for the two chosen group reads will receive a badge stating they led the discussion. Maximum amount of badges you can receive for the group reads is TWO - one for the chosen group read/discussion leader and one for any other book in the theme.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have read the book(s) before or during July 2018.
2. discussed it in the relevant thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in that thread.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread below, along with a brief summary of what you thought.

message 2: by Cherie (last edited Jul 05, 2018 02:09PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments Hi Sarah,
Are you going to change the "Currently Reading" book titles/covers to this month's reads? They still show June's covers.

message 3: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 299 comments I enjoyed my read of
Pompeii by Robert Harris Pompeii Robert Harris 416 p. 2 july 2018 4 stars. Even though I know the story, it got in this novel new perspective and was made more to life when we got to know the people and the life in the city of Pompeii. I can only recommend this book and gave it four stars. A great read , esp. For lovers of ancient history or those interested in volcano eruptions

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Cherie wrote: "Hi Sarah,
Are you going to change the "Currently Reading" book titles/covers to this month's reads? They still show June's covers."

Kristie has kindly updated them. Thanks for the nudge. I've been having internet issues.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather I have finished The Boston Girl and I also made comments in the discussion thread. My review: I listen to the audio book. The reader was Linda Lavin, I remember her as 'Alice' on an old TV series. I thought that her voice was perfect for the character of Addie.

For me this story wasn't more than a long conversation with a friend over dinner. Some of Addie's memories were sweet, sad and some quite frankly boring. I felt bad that her and her mother had such a conflicting relationship her whole life. One of the quotes from the books reflected that: (view spoiler) But on the other hand she had wonderful friends that lasted a lifetime, I envy that.

This isn't my normal genre to read, so my review is somewhat tainted by my need for a plot, climax and an ending.
Hope I did this right -- HeatherQ

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Jul 09, 2018 05:59AM) (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Yes that's all good Heather although there doesn't seem to be a spoiler. I'm guessing you copied it straight from your review and it didn't copy across. It would be good if you could add your final thoughts on the book to the discussion thread as you have only mentioned that you weren't getting on with it as opposed to discussing why that was the case.

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51925 comments I read Brooklyn and discussed it in the designated thread.

Overall, I gave the book 3 stars. I prefer a more plot driven story with strong characterization. I found the plot to be slow, and only one character was fleshed out.

message 8: by Kim (last edited Jul 10, 2018 07:11PM) (new)

Kim (flychickadee) | 57 comments I read Brooklyn and discussed it in the associated thread.

I gave the book four stars. Reading this felt like a lazy float on an inter tube down a river in summer -- not something I want all the time, but restful and soul filling in the right doses.

My review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

OOH! Also I was a member and then went inactive. Here's my wall of famers link (I think that's what I am supposed to do?) https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 9: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments I read Pompeii and discussed it in the thread Place in the title.
It was a 5* read for me.The sense of time period,the tone and flow of the story,the MC who was the aquarius...the slow reveal of the signs before a volcano eruption, ,the sense of danger,the overindulged people and the closing pages .. everything worked for me.I esp loved Pliny the elder and younger.And Torquatus along with Corelia and Attilius,our MC.

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51925 comments Kim wrote: "OOH! Also I was a member and then went inactive. Here's my wall of famers link (I think that's what I am supposed to do? ..."

I will move your wall back up to the active folder. We're officially starting the requirement to post your WoF name when you report in August, and what you've done in this message is what we're looking for. You won't need to post the link to it, just tell us "WoF name is Kim". But good on you for getting in some practice. :)

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Excellent Kim! Moving forward with new reporting will makes things a lot less time consuming when it comes to badging!

message 12: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciareadsitall) | 814 comments I read The Boston Girl and participated in its discussion thread. This is my first group read with you all so please feel free to correct me if I've missed something in my reporting.

I'm still not sure how I felt about this book. I didn't particularly like the interview style in which it was written, but I did like the characters a lot. I generally read books that have more of a deliberate plot: conflict, climax, resolution. However, this more personal account of one wwoman's experience of at least part of her life was intriguing in its own way. I think the best part for me though was that I learned all kinds of interesting stuff about Boston itself, the life of immigrants in the early 1900's, and the struggles that could accompany both gender and class at that time. Sometimes, I forget what people went through back then, and it's good to be reminded. If I had to rate this book, I think I'd give it 3.5 stars.

message 13: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15585 comments I read Brooklyn and discussed it in the thread. I rated it 3 stars, it was just an okay read for me. I found the writing a bit choppy, the book a bit slow. I never connected to any of the characters and therefore didn't care so much about what happened to them. I also thought the last part was a bit rushed and it didn't feel finished.

message 14: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1917 comments I read Evil in Amsterdam and discussed it in the appropriate thread. This was a Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Super Mystery where the teens all end up meeting in Amsterdam and joining forces to solve mysteries. Its a quick, fun read and even though sometimes I find some of the situations they get into a little hard to believe, I do have to keep reading to see how it all turns out. I enjoyed this story and loved spending time with these characters.

Saar The Book owl | 1925 comments I've read Brooklyn and discussed it in the thread. I rated it 2 stars. it wasn't my genre, but I hoped I would like it and along with the reviews on the cover: 'intense, a joy to read, emotional...' The book won me over. Sadly, it didn't add to my expectations.
I had the feeling that the author could have done so much more with the characters, the emmigration, the relationships between the persons, the mention of racism in Brooklyn...But the story kept me in the dark.
It was slow and simply written.

message 16: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I read and lead the discussion ofBrooklyn

I had high hopes for the book. Sadly I was disappointed. It wanted to be a coming of age story. But sadly the main char did not mature by the end of the book. She remained selfish and immature.

She played with men's hearts and only did the right thing when she got caught.

The book started so well telling the story of her immigration. But it lost steam a quarter of the way thorugh.

message 17: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2489 comments I read Brooklyn and am discussing it in its thread. I had already seen (and loved) the movie. I found the pace very in keeping with the movie, but didn't care for the tone/portrayal of the MC Eilis. She came across and very immature and manipulative for me. But the book is making for some interesting discussion.

message 18: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments I read The Boston Girl and served as the discussion leader. I really enjoyed the story, especially the beginnings. The characters, places and events were all a fascinating look at the times. The lead up to the end and the ending itself, felt less engaging and whooshed by a little too quickly. The narration changed to more of a conversation at the end too, with less detail. I understood why the book would be considered slow to some people, especially those looking for a more plot driven read. I felt it a very relaxing conversation and had a good time looking up the historical characters, places and events.

message 19: by Clive (new)

Clive Matthews | 225 comments I read The Boston Girl and discussed it in the thread. I wasn't really expecting much as the blurb on the back cover gave me the impression that it was the sort of book that I would normally not look twice at. It was therefore a real surprise to discover how much I liked the book. I rated it 4 stars and finished it in two sittings. The element that struck me most was of my own missed opportunities. All my grandparents dies while I was at a young age and whilst I got the opportunity to know them I never got the opportunity to learn about them as they were before they were simply 'my grandparents'. It almost felt as though the narrative of the book allowed me to get a feel for that even though my own grandparents lives would not have been anything like that of the narrator.

message 20: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments I read Brooklyn and joined in the didcussion.

It was my first Toibin and I was not impressed. I found the plot forced and too reliant on co-incidence, and the characters unbelievable.

I did like the early parts of the book, set in a small Irish town in the 1950's the young local people were forced to emigrate to find work - sound familiar lol The setting was very well described.

Overall I gave the book 2 stars - I won't be picking up another by this anytime soon.

message 21: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3891 comments I read The Boston Girl and participated in the discussion. I learned quite a bit about the immigrant experience in America, things I had never heard about. Plot was missing but I don't think that was really important to the author. This was more of a fictional memoir. Unfortunately, she whizzed through the last third of the book (whoosh is a good word for it) as though it wasn't important enough to spend time on. I gave it 3 stars based on the first part of the book (which I liked) and the Yiddish interjections.

message 22: by Lilisa (last edited Jul 29, 2018 06:53AM) (new)

Lilisa | 2545 comments I read The Little Paris Bookshop -- unfortunately, it wasn't a great read, but c'est la vie. Review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Lilisa wrote: "I read The Little Paris Bookshop and linked my review in the Place in the Title thread. Unfortunately, It wasn't a great read, but c'est la vie."

Could you please link it here too so people only have to peruse this thread to find out what people thought of the books people read this month. Thanks in advance.

message 24: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 299 comments I read The Living and the Dead in Winsford Håkan Nesser 416 p. 24 july 2018 3 stars.

I thought it was an excellent read and really enjoyed the story and the way it unfolds. It keeps you guessing to the end..
I wonder why this author seems less known under the scandinavian thriller writers.
(Warning: if you like to see everything neatly explained and folded up at the end, it might not be your cup of tea). Otherwise I can recommend it.

message 25: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2545 comments Sarah wrote: "Lilisa wrote: "I read The Little Paris Bookshop and linked my review in the Place in the Title thread. Unfortunately, It wasn't a great read, but c'est la vie."

Could you please li..."

Done!

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Lilisa wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Lilisa wrote: "I read The Little Paris Bookshop and linked my review in the Place in the Title thread. Unfortunately, It wasn't a great read, but c'est la vie."

Could..."

Thank you. Did you see my post over in the discussion thread?

message 27: by Silver (new)

Silver | 495 comments I read The Witch of Napoli by Michael Schmicker and discussed in the books with places in their titles thread.

On the whole I really enjoyed the book. I thought there was a good blend of history with a touch of the paranormal. It was an interesting story that kept my attention engaged. The one draw back for me was the writing was written very journalistically which may have been intentional since the narrator worked for the newspaper but it did give the story a lack of depth.

message 28: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2545 comments Sarah wrote: "Lilisa wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Lilisa wrote: "I read The Little Paris Bookshop and linked my review in the Place in the Title thread. Unfortunately, It wasn't a great read, but c'est ..."

I hadn't, thx for sending me over there! I added another post - to my earlier ones.

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15221 comments I read The Boston Girl and discussed in the group thread. From my review:

"I thought this was a good story. I enjoyed it, but I wasn't rushing to get back to it. It was good, but not gripping and I feel like it won't be very memorable. Still, it was entertaining in the moment. I think it would make for a good beach read."

I also read Killman Creek and discussed in the general theme thread. This was much more gripping. Of course, it's a dark, fast paced suspense novel, so it should be. I was eager to get back to it every time I put it down. I had to know what was going to happen. I was happy with the conclusion to this one and still plan to continue with the series. My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 30: by TrudyA (new)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1676 comments I read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for this month’s themed read and commented in the applicable thread. I’m not sure why I waited so long to read this book, or why I was surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did.

The themes of poverty, discrimination, and alcoholism did not receive unique treatment in this novel. The story itself was also nothing unique. Still, it was difficult to put down because character development was good, and I quickly found myself caring about what happened to the family. I especially enjoyed protagonist Francie and her close relationship with her alcoholic father. Overall, I found this to be a story of hope.

message 31: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (alynor) | 298 comments I read Brooklyn and commented in the discussion thread. This novel was one of the rare instances that I preferred the film to the book. I found the novel a bit too meandering, pointless and centered on a flawed character. But now that I think about it, that's a close description of life as it really is, so perhaps I was too hard on it. I gave the book 3 stars. But Ireland gets 5 stars.

message 32: by Laura (Lclwags) (new)

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 598 comments I read The Boston Girl and discussed it in the thread. It was an easy and entertaining read, but I wish there had been more to the last few chapters. It seemed to rush the ending. Sorry I'm a day late. How is it already August?!

message 33: by Almeta (last edited Aug 07, 2018 10:38AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10535 comments I really enjoyed Linda Lavin's audio narration of the The Boston Girl which I finished on 21 July. Her voice was perfect for a mature Boston dialect. (You may remember her from the TV show Alice.)

I don't generally read "life stories". I like more action. Still it was entertaining to "view" this slice of life.

I thought it was cute when she was proud of everything she did which qualified for her to be "just like a Boston Girl".

message 34: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 299 comments Just a question: I didn’t get a badge for reading a book in the theme of the month. Is this because I read another book? Or did I forget to do something?
My name is Claire on WOF

message 35: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2489 comments Claire wrote: "Just a question: I didn’t get a badge for reading a book in the theme of the month. Is this because I read another book? Or did I forget to do something?"

I don't think anyone has been badged yet.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments No badges have been posted yet. I'm on it though!

message 37: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2489 comments I wasn't worried, just didn't want Claire to think it was just her :)

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Badges are done! 2 new walls for Clive and Tricia. If I missed you, let me know.

message 39: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 299 comments Thanks Jenn, I thought it was me who made a mistake:-(
Thank you, Sarah! I didn’t want to rush, just was not sure about things.

message 40: by Robin (new)

Robin | 249 comments Sarah: I didn't get a badge for reading The Boston Girl. My wall is Robin from KY, I just saw it on the inactive walls page...It had been awhile since I got a badge, so I guess it was moved. I also just read the post about new wall names.

message 41: by Robin (new)

Robin | 249 comments I don't think I realized I needed to report here. Sorry! It makes sense though...

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Badges are only awarded if you report your read in the reporting thread hence why you didn't receive a badge. I'll get it sorted for you.