You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > July 2018 - Place in the title

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments If the two chosen books are not to your liking, you can read another book that has a place name in the title.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during July 2018.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions. See our spoiler policy
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9824 comments I will start today ARTEMIS. I wonder if a fictitious place also fits. I do not remember the details of the nomination.

message 3: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20715 comments I think it will fit, Sandra. It IS a place name.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Hmm, it's not really what I had in mind. Let's stick with real place names, so countries, states, provinces, cities and towns on Earth, that actually exist. Sorry.

message 5: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9824 comments No problem. It is not that I picked it for the monthly theme. I got it from the library after a long waiting list, and thought I might use it. I still hope to be able to join.

message 6: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2547 comments Soooo many books to choose from - off to solve my dilemma -.nice monthly theme!

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1358 comments I think I'll read The San Francisco Earthquake: A Minute-by-Minute Account of the 1906 Disaster. It's been on my TBR for a while now.

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15254 comments I'm planning to read the group read of The Boston Girl, but I'm also hoping to get to Killman Creek. If I'm really on top of my game, I may even get around to reading Honolulu, but it's unlikely.

message 9: by Silver (new)

Silver | 495 comments I am reading The Witch of Napoli

I am having sort of mixed feelings about this book. I am enjoying it and I do find it interesting, it is keeping my attention engaged and I am quite curious to find out what happens next. On the other hand I feel like I am not loving the book as much as I would like to. I cannot put my finger on what is missing. Maybe it has something to do with the writers style or the fact that I feel no real connection to the protaginist/narrator of the story. He does not really stand out as having a very gripping personality in a way I feel he is kind of bland.

The last chapter I read though (Chapter 9) was quite intriguing so hopefully the book will pick up more from here.

message 10: by Claire (last edited Jul 06, 2018 11:01AM) (new)

Claire  | 299 comments I have read
Pompeii by Robert Harris Pompeii Robert Harris 416 p. 2 july 2018 4 stars. Last month I really enjoyed Imperium: A Novel of Ancient Rome so I was curious to read more by this author. The book is fascinating as the MC is an engineer, not the POV one would expect, but great in this case. I thought the novel was very good and historically quite accurate (as far as we know)

I think it is a very skilled writer who manages to keep the tension even when you know what will happen.

message 11: by Annerlee (last edited Jul 06, 2018 11:12AM) (new)

Annerlee | 2713 comments Silver wrote: "I am reading The Witch of Napoli

I am having sort of mixed feelings about this book. I am enjoying it and I do find it interesting, it is keeping my attention engaged and I am qui..."

I read this very recently too Silver. The subject was fascinating and I'm still in two minds about whether she was a clever fake or not. I agree about the writing style. It often felt shallow and too journalistic. But I enjoyed the book all the same.
I'll be interested to see what you think overall...

message 12: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20715 comments Claire wrote: "I have read
Pompeii by Robert Harris Pompeii Robert Harris 416 p. 2 july 2018 4 stars. Last month I really enjoyed Imperium: A Novel of Ancient Rome ..."

Pompeii was my first Robert Harris read, Claire. I really enjoyed it too and thought the engineer POV was very well done and so unexpected.

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather I finished The Boston Girl. I listen to the audio. No spoilers. I enjoyed the book. For me it was like a long discussion with a friend over dinner. I liked the few historical facts that were sprinkled through the story for this time period, some of the memories she shared were sweet and some were sad, like everyone's life. The reader on the audio book was Linda Lavin ( I remember her as 'Alice" on the old TV show.) and she was perfect for the voice of Addie. But the story itself, had no purpose, like watching old home movies of someone else's life --- kinda boring in spots.

I don't want to offend anyone, but this was a slow read for me and now I'm over to the reporting thread to post that I'm finished.

message 14: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20715 comments Heather, you do not have to report your book in this thread, if you read one of the chosen group reads. Only if you read an alternate selection.

message 15: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2547 comments Cherie wrote: "Claire wrote: "I have read
Pompeii by Robert Harris Pompeii Robert Harris 416 p. 2 july 2018 4 stars. Last month I really enjoyed Imperium: A Novel of Ancien..."</i>

[book:Pompeii
was my first as well and is still my favorite 5+ stars! Imperium: A Novel of Ancient Rome a 5. His An Officer and a Spy is really good too, Conclave not so much.

message 16: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2713 comments I loved Harris's Pompeii too. It was such an unusual take on the disaster. An Officer and a Spy sounds interesting. I've added it to my 'to read' list...
Neither of the selected books appeal to me this month. I may find an alternative read, but nothing springs to mind as yet.

message 17: by Lilisa (last edited Jul 08, 2018 08:16PM) (new)

Lilisa | 2547 comments I'm reading The Little Paris Bookshop - there's a book for every mood, feeling or occasion prescribed by Monsieur Perdu, who owns the Literary Apothecary - a barge on the Seine. But is there a book he should prescribe for himself I'm wondering...

message 18: by siriusedward (last edited Jul 08, 2018 07:40PM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments Claire wrote: "I have read
Pompeii by Robert Harris Pompeii Robert Harris 416 p. 2 july 2018 4 stars. Last month I really enjoyed Imperium: A Novel of Ancient Rome ..."

I am reading Pompeii finally.And am liking it a lot.And choosing the engineer really works here as we get to slowly know the early changes before a volcanic eruption through his eyes.And esp. how it would have been seen and interpreted or if it is even noticed at the time.Fascinating as you said Claire.And the fisheries ..never knew such complex fisheries existed at the time.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Heather wrote: "I finished The Boston Girl. I listen to the audio. No spoilers. I enjoyed the book. For me it was like a long discussion with a friend over dinner. I liked the few historical facts ..."

As Cherie said above, if you are reading one of the chosen books, you discuss the book in the relevant thread that is set up for it. This thread is for those who are not reading one of the chosen books but another one within the theme. Then there is a reporting thread for you to report you have read AND discussed the book in order to get your badge.

message 20: by Silver (last edited Jul 10, 2018 11:01AM) (new)

Silver | 495 comments Annerlee wrote: "Silver wrote: "I am reading The Witch of Napoli

I am having sort of mixed feelings about this book. I am enjoying it and I do find it interesting, it is keeping my attention engag..."

Journalistic is a good way to describe the writing. I think that is what is bothering me about it you do not get an in depth look at the characters and it feels like it has a lack of complexity.

But the story iteself has become more interesting for me.

(view spoiler)

I also appreciate the way the author blends history with these subtle elements of the supernatural. Everything in the story is perfectly believable because throughout history and even today (weather one believes it to be genuine or trickery) people have and still do the sorts of things Alessandra claims.

And I do enjoy the whole trying to decipher if she truly is gifted or just a very skilled con-artist.

message 21: by siriusedward (last edited Jul 10, 2018 01:15PM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments siriusedward wrote: "Claire wrote: "I have read
Pompeii by Robert Harris Pompeii Robert Harris 416 p. 2 july 2018 4 stars. Last month I really enjoyed [book:Imperium: A Novel of Ancien..."

What I am also finding very suspenseful is the sense of malevolence from Ampliatus,the self made millionaire freed from slavery(a sense of danger from that man ).And the mystery of the disappearance of the previous aquarius.Very edge of the seat kind of plot there.Never expected that when I read the synopsis.

message 22: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20715 comments You are making me want to re-visit the story again, siriusedward!

message 23: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments :-P

message 24: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments https://youtu.be/dY_3ggKg0Bc
this video is great Cherie... Titled ..One day in Pompeii..

message 25: by Annerlee (last edited Jul 11, 2018 02:23AM) (new)

Annerlee | 2713 comments "Silver wrote: "I am reading The Witch of Napoli... And I do enjoy the whole trying to decipher if she truly is gifted or just a very skilled con-artist.
..."

That's what kept me reading too, I'm still not sure. The sense of the time period is also quite strong and the scientific fascination with sceances was interesting too... the methods are a bit crude though.
It seems like we have a very similar opinion on this one ; )

message 26: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2713 comments Lilisa wrote: "I'm reading The Little Paris Bookshop - there's a book for every mood, feeling or occasion prescribed by Monsieur Perdu, who owns the Literary Apothecary - a barge on the Seine. But..."

A case of 'Physician heal thyself'?

message 27: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2547 comments Annerlee wrote: "Lilisa wrote: "I'm reading The Little Paris Bookshop - there's a book for every mood, feeling or occasion prescribed by Monsieur Perdu, who owns the Literary Apothecary - a barge on..."

🙃

message 28: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20715 comments siriusedward wrote: "https://youtu.be/dY_3ggKg0Bc
this video is great Cherie... Titled ..One day in Pompeii.."

Oh, the video was great! Thank you. I need to get my daughter and grandson to watch it. They are going to go visit Pompeii next spring.

message 29: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments you are welcome .
Hope they enjoy the trip.And have a great time there.

message 30: by Lori Z (last edited Jul 15, 2018 08:33AM) (new)

Lori Z | 1917 comments So I picked up Evil in Amsterdam for the Zodiac Challenge and then the group read theme turned out to be Place in title, so lucky me two birds one stone, woohoo!

This book is a Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Super Mystery. Its another quick, fun read, where Nancy and her friend George and Frank and Joe Hardy, run into each other in Amsterdam and join together to solve a mystery. While I do enjoy reading these I sometimes have trouble susending my disbelief in some of the sticky situations these teenagers get themselves into and how they manage to get out of them. I never read them as a child and I think I would have enjoyed them even more back then and I just have to keep reminding myself of that. With all that being said I have to admit that the author keeps me reading to see how Nancy and friends get out of trouble and solve the mystery. I enjoyed this story and always like spending time with these characters. I also have to say that the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys mysteries are an endless supply of books that I need for challenges and topplers, lol.

message 31: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15254 comments I just finished Killman Creek Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2) by Rachel Caine . I was originally reading it for the zodiac challenge because somehow I thought that was water all in the foreground. After I finished reading I looked at it again and thought...actually that looks like snow and grass. So, now I don't know if it fits anywhere. Not sure what I was thinking there.

This is the second installment in the Stillhouse Lake series. I thought it was really good and was happy that it didn't end in a cliffhanger. I know there is another book in the series coming out next year, so I was thinking it would continue the story. This one wrapped up pretty well though. I'm still planning to read the next one because this one was so good.

This book is pretty dark, but the writing is good and it keeps you engaged. There was a bit of repetition in the beginning, but it didn't continue throughout the book, which is good. Also, there were parts where I wondered if what was happening was really possible in real life. Fortunately, I don't know that much about tech and hacking, so I was able to suspend that disbelief pretty easily. In general, it was a book that I didn't want to put down and I thought it played out well with some twists I didn't see coming. I gave it 4+ stars.

message 32: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51971 comments Kristie wrote: "I just finished Killman Creek Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2) by Rachel Caine. I was originally reading it for the zodiac challenge because somehow I thought that was water all in the foreground..."

At first glance, it does look like water, but it is debatable. Too bad.

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15254 comments Janice wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I just finished Killman Creek Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2) by Rachel Caine. I was originally reading it for the zodiac challenge because somehow I thought that was water all in the foreground..."

At first glance, it does look like water, but it is debatable. Too bad."

Yeah, I should have looked closer originally. I'm pretty sure it's snow. Oh well.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Lilisa wrote: "I read The Little Paris Bookshop. Here's what I thought: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

Really you need to discuss the book here in this thread as opposed to just linking to your review. That is fine for reporting purposes but it's not discussion. We want to keep discussion in this thread so people don't have to go elsewhere to read it. Others may have read the book and then be able to discuss it with you.

message 36: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 299 comments siriusedward wrote: "https://youtu.be/dY_3ggKg0Bc
this video is great Cherie... Titled ..One day in Pompeii.."

Thank you, great link!

message 37: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 299 comments I also read The Living and the Dead in WinsfordHåkan Nesser 416 p. 24 july 2018 3 stars.
It is an excellent thriller and kept me guessing the whole time. I wonder why the author isn’t better known. What was interesting is that the storyline matched excellent the descriptions of winter in the part of England this was set. Dark, grey, sad and lonely.
A warning: do not read it if you like to get all questions answered at the end.

message 38: by Silver (new)

Silver | 495 comments The Witch of Napoli got off to a bit of a slow start for me but it soon picked up amd the last 20 or so chapters had me really hooked and I did not want to put the book down. The writing is a bit shallow and lacks real depth, emotion, and complexity but the story I found fascinating particularly after learning it was based on the true life and events of a real medium who baffled the scientific world.

message 39: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2547 comments Sarah wrote: "Lilisa wrote: "I read The Little Paris Bookshop. Here's what I thought: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

Really you need to discuss the book here in this thread as..."

Oops, I started out with one discussion point in message 17 and didn't come back until my review so here goes...thr book started out okay - a floating bookshop with an owner who has the uncanny knack of recommending books to match what his customers' need - emotionally and mentally. But Jean Purdue, the owner is also in need of a prescription himself. I felt all the characters were so wrapped up in themselves and i thought the book dragged on for too long. I did appreciate the description of the various villages the boat stopped in. Overall, not a book I enjoyed much.

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Thanks Lilisa. It's a shame you didn't enjoy the book. I love the sound of a floating bookshop! There is one here in London that I've heard about. None on the canal I'm on unfortunately.

message 41: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2547 comments Sarah wrote: "Thanks Lilisa. It's a shame you didn't enjoy the book. I love the sound of a floating bookshop! There is one here in London that I've heard about. None on the canal I'm on unfortunately."

Yeah, I thought that was the best part!

message 42: by TrudyA (new)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1677 comments I read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for this month’s themed read.

This classic was first published in 1943, so I may be one of the few who had not already read this. It is a lovely story of a family living in Brooklyn, NY in the early 1900s. Themes include poverty, alcoholism, discrimination, and hope. There are several strong female characters, notably, protagonist Francie, her mother Kate, and Kate’s sister, Sissy. Francie drops out of school at 14 to work so she can help support the family. Her tenacity and ingenuity helped her continue her education and and pass her college entrance exams. I liked that Francie’s father, an alcoholic, was more than a one-dimensional character and was treated respectfully.

I was anticipating this to be a depressing story. However, even through the poverty and heartache, I found this to be a story of hope.

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments If you haven't already done so, head on over to the reporting thread to report that you've participated in the group read discussion.