You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Brooklyn
This topic is about Brooklyn
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > July 2018 - Brooklyn

Comments Showing 1-50 of 109 (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Jul 01, 2018 03:43PM) (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments One of the group reads for July is Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín. Please discuss the book in this thread.

Renee will be leading the discussion.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during July 2018.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions. See our spoiler policy
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2695 comments I plan to read this. I picked up a copy at the used book store yesterday, but I haven't started it yet.

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments Hi all. I hope you will enjoy the book. I have just started it myself. I am already falling in love with the main char.

I say the movie last year. It was a charming coming of age story. A tale of family and love. I am expecting a lot from this books since books are always better then movies.

Has anyone else seen the film? What expectations do you have of the book?

I am expecting to spend time with a strong woman learning to live her life in a new world. I am hoping to see a woman of strength and courage. I am off to read and see what I get.

message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Jul 02, 2018 02:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments I didn't vote on this but it sounds interesting. It feels like a long time since I read one of the chosen books, so I'll try to join later this month.

I didn't know there was a movie.

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments The movie was wonderful. It starred Saoirse Ronan. It had three Academy Award nomination's. They were for adapted screen play, best picture and best actress.

It is one of those quiet movies that just tells a story about peoples lives. It is one of my favorites. It is worth a watch. I loved the story. That's why I want to read the book. I want to learn more about the people in this story.

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments I started the book last night, but I only got a few pages in before I fell asleep.

Does anyone know how to pronounce Eilis? I waver between Ee-lis, Ee-ih-lis, and Eye-lis.

I haven't seen the movie. I may want to after I've read the book. Generally, I prefer to read the book first.

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I am wondering that too. I am pronouncing it like Eye less. I am hearing it as Alice with a long I sound at the start. I have an audio book version. I am trying to figure out how to label my spoilers.

I have to say I am enjoying the picture of town life. It just seems so peaceful in Eilis village. (view spoiler)

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jul 03, 2018 07:50AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments I googled the pronunciation and it is Eye-lish.

I too am wondering about how to denote where I'm at in the book since the chapters are so long. Father Flood has just been introduced. (view spoiler)

I find the writing to be a bit choppy, and I'm a bit surprised. I think I'm confusing him with Colum McCann.

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments LOL eye-lish as pronunciation is so much nicer then eye less. LOL

spoiler to Father Flood. (view spoiler)

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments Renee wrote: "LOL eye-lish as pronunciation is so much nicer then eye less. LOL

spoiler to Father Flood. ..."

Re your spoiler - (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1926 comments I've got my copy yesterday and plan on reading later this week. It also has the recomondation of being for YA in our library.

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments spoiler to Father Flood. ..."

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments I started Part B last night. She has arrived in Brooklyn, so spoilers are up to that point.

Liverpool - (view spoiler)

The trip over (view spoiler)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I took a little time off for the 4th of July. We had a lovely picnic with friends a family. This year we had extra ants. My 5 year old second cousin brought his ant farm. I myself would never have allowed it. Many children, breakable container containing ants, You do the math LOL

Back to Brooklyn.

Liverpool (view spoiler)

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments Renee wrote: "I took a little time off for the 4th of July. We had a lovely picnic with friends a family. This year we had extra ants. My 5 year old second cousin brought his ant farm. I myself would never have ..."

Liverpool - (view spoiler)

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments Part B - up to Christmas

(view spoiler)

Margo | 10290 comments I will join this read as soon as I finish buddy read of The Skull Throne.

message 18: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments I'll be interested in your thoughts on it Margo.

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I am back reading again.

crossing(view spoiler)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I am looking forward to your joining us Margo. I am enjoying the book. It is making me think of mny things

Starting work (view spoiler)

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments I started reading Part 3.

Basement Suite - (view spoiler)

Renee, I agree with you sentiments in both spoilers (msg 19 & 20). Msg 19 (view spoiler) And Msg 20 (view spoiler)

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jul 08, 2018 07:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments Continuing along in Part 3

The Dance - (view spoiler)

Changes at the store - (view spoiler)

I find this book rather slow. I'm hoping it picks up, but it needs to soon. I'm already at 50%.

message 23: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments I opened this thread in my app this morning and all spoilers were open and no way to close them!

Safely on the pc now. I decided to read this one as well and started this morning. Hasn't made a huge impression on me so far.. I also find the writing a bit choppy and don't feel very connected to the characters (yet).

Eilis is in Liverpool now. (view spoiler)

Margo | 10290 comments I started the book last night and and have just started part 3. I'm feeling awful at the moment as a resurt of hayfever. I will share some thoughts and read spoilers later tonight when the sun goes down :(

message 25: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments Peggy, it's set in the early 1950's.

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments Still in Part 3

Tony (Coney Island) - (view spoiler)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I am a bit behind. I am still having energy issues post surgery. I have to agree I do not really care for they writing style. It is a little choppy. But I am really enjoying the story. I think Eilis is a well written char surrounded by real people. I mean people that are like people I have met in real life.

I do find this sort of book comforting. It makes me feel like I am hearing the stories my friends and family tell at parties. Their is no dramatic crisis, no suspicious people or no murder mystery. Its like spending time with fiends.

Dinner for the homeless(view spoiler)

message 28: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments I started part 2, but am only in the beginning. I agree with your comments about the crossing (view spoiler)

First weeks on the job: (view spoiler)

Margo | 10290 comments So far this is a pleasent, easy read. This is my first book by this author so I had no idea what to expect. The setting of 50's ireland is very familiar to me. It was the time my parents emigrated from ireland to find work. It was our first depression as a new country. Our second was in the 80's when I had to emigrate to find a job and our third is now!

Part 1 and 2 (view spoiler)

message 30: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments So you didn't grow up in Ireland Margo?

Are you emigrating now? I had no idea!

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments Margo I love the incite you are bringing to this discussion. It is nice to hear that the picture we are getting of 50's Ireland is authentic.

(view spoiler)

Margo wrote: "So far this is a pleasent, easy read. This is my first book by this author so I had no idea what to expect. The setting of 50's ireland is very familiar to me. It was the time my parents emigrated ..."

Margo | 10290 comments Peggy, I lived in the UK til I was 12 then we moved to Ireland. When I left college in 89 I, and most of my class, went to england to find work. I married an engllish man and we brought him back to Ireland along with my 1 year old son. My son is now 22!

Renee, re Rose and Eilish (view spoiler)

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments Margo wrote: "Peggy, I lived in the UK til I was 12 then we moved to Ireland. When I left college in 89 I, and most of my class, went to england to find work. I married an engllish man and we brought him back to..."

You have some good ideas about Rose. (view spoiler)

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jul 10, 2018 07:29AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments I finished it and gave it 3 stars. I prefer a more plot driven story with strong characterization. This did have a plot, but it was rather slow.

Part 4 - (view spoiler)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments Rose (view spoiler)

I am finding that we meet a lot of people in this book that I want to know more about. Rose and Georgianna are two. I am wondering if this is intentional. Will we meet them again? Are they like the people we meet in life for a short time then loose touch with?

I had friends at school and work I adored. But life changed. I don't see them anymore. I know there story goes on but I don't know it. Are Rose and Georgianna like them?

I

message 36: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments Margo wrote: "Peggy, I lived in the UK til I was 12 then we moved to Ireland. When I left college in 89 I, and most of my class, went to england to find work. I married an engllish man and we brought him back to..."

About Rose: (view spoiler)

message 37: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments Janice, about the shop: (view spoiler)

Margo | 10290 comments I am at 67% or end of part 7 in the audiobook. I can't be more exact as I am having problems with my kindle - yes again *sigh*

(view spoiler)

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments Margo wrote: "I am at 67% or end of part 7 in the audiobook. I can't be more exact as I am having problems with my kindle - yes again *sigh*

[spoilers removed]"

I think of all the characters, (view spoiler)

message 40: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim (flychickadee) | 57 comments Renee wrote: "Hi all. I hope you will enjoy the book. I have just started it myself. I am already falling in love with the main char.

I say the movie last year. It was a charming coming of age story. A tale of..."

I haven't seen the film, but I really like the book (I'm audiobook listening to it and have about 10 minutes left). I am wondering once you're done, what you think of book vs movie. I see you're not a fan of the choppy writing style.

I definitely will be checking the film out on my next library trip; I find (view spoiler).

I love the portrayal of the rollercoaster that is being in your 20s. Eilis is a very likable character for me.

message 41: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim (flychickadee) | 57 comments Margo wrote: "I am at 67% or end of part 7 in the audiobook. I can't be more exact as I am having problems with my kindle - yes again *sigh*

[spoilers removed]"

But isn't the audiobook delightful?! I just love the Irish accents.

message 42: by Kim (last edited Jul 11, 2018 01:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim (flychickadee) | 57 comments Peggy wrote: "Janice, about the shop:

re: shop counter (view spoiler)

Margo | 10290 comments Kim wrote: "Margo wrote: "I am at 67% or end of part 7 in the audiobook. I can't be more exact as I am having problems with my kindle - yes again *sigh*

[spoilers removed]"

But isn't the audiobook delightful..."

Kim, I am irish so the accents are nothing special to me :-) Niamh Cusack does a good narration and her voice is very pleasant. I get the feeling that this book was written with a view to screenplay. (view spoiler)

message 44: by Richard (new)

Richard Moss | 13 comments For when you've finished the book, it's worth listening to this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b8...

It's Colm Toibin on BBC Radio 4's Book Club discussing Brooklyn with the presenter and readers. Toibin is wonderful, and it's a great exploration of the genesis and themes of the novel, and how despite its setting in the 1950s, it still has contemporary relevance.

It also (almost) helps clear up the pronunciation of Eilis - Toibin says he either uses eye-lish or ay-lish. Either are fine apparently.

I love the book, and actually the movie was a very good adaptation of it with Saoirse Ronan perfect as Eilis.

message 45: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim (flychickadee) | 57 comments Margo wrote: "Kim wrote: "Margo wrote: "I am at 67% or end of part 7 in the audiobook. I can't be more exact as I am having problems with my kindle - yes again *sigh*

[spoilers removed]"

But isn't the audioboo..."

haha, well then!

whoops :)

message 46: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments Kim, re: Message 42. Be careful when replying to messages that spoilers in the quoted text are removed. Sometimes, the spoiler is opened. It's frustrating that Goodreads hasn't figured out how to fix that glitch.

I don't think the text in this case revealed anything, or I'd ask you to edit it.

message 47: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments Richard wrote: "For when you've finished the book, it's worth listening to this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b8...

It's Colm Toibin on BBC Radio 4's Book Club discussing Brooklyn with the presenter and re..."

Thanks for posting the link, Richard. It's half hour long and I'll come back to it when I have some time.

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I am still working my way through the book. I think my speed is not interfering with the discussion. I am still having some energy issues but over all feel real good.

I am enjoying the book. I wonder if I am liking it because the books slow pace suits my energy level.

I am finding myself getting frustrated. I really liked Elis at the beginning but I don't feel I am getting to know her any better.

(view spoiler)

message 49: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments Renee, I agree. It's understandable that it happens once, but she seems clueless all the time. (view spoiler)

I just read the part with the bathing suits. Not sure if someone commented on this already, I'm not sure which spoilers I can read. (view spoiler)

Sharon (alynor) | 298 comments I read this novel shortly before seeing film a couple of years ago. It was the second book in my life for which I preferred the film. (The other was The Bridges of Madison County.) Perhaps it was because of Saoirse Ronan, who is so compelling.

Despite not being impressed by the book, I haven't forgotten it. The experience of changing homes, of having your heart split between two places, resonates even for those of us who haven't immigrated to a new country. Sometimes just moving to a new town, or leaving home for college, can trigger a feeling of being torn in half. I've lived 1,000 miles from my extended family and place of birth for 25 years, and at some point the current place became Home, but the original place never stops tugging.

Kim, I'm with you on the Irish accent. I would live in Ireland just to listen to people talk!

(view spoiler)

« previous 1 3