Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Christina's July Reads

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

The Beekeeper's ApprenticebyLaurie R. King- This was a good book about the continuation of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries. I had heard many good things about this series and it didn't disappoint. I recommend it.

Ill-Gotten PanesbyJennifer McAndrews. Not a bad mystery. It's a first in a series. I enjoyed it.

Murder at Hatfield HousebyAmanda Carmack. I had high hopes for this one. It was...ok. I identified the murderer the second they appeared on the page. I hate that. I kept hoping I was wrong. I didn't feel attached to any of the characters at the end. So not sure I will be continuing with the series.

Eggsecutive Ordersby Julie Hyzy. This was an ok read. Nice twist at the end for the whodunit. I walked away from the book disliking some of the characters. Little did I know that the next book in this series would blow me away. Get to that one in a second.

The Anatomist's Wifeby Anna Lee Huber. What a good book! I five starred this baby seconds after reading it. The story is excellent. I was just as caught up with the characters as I was with the mystery. I could not wait to read the next one so I went right into it...

Mortal Artsby Anna Lee Huber - great follow up to the previous book. The love story progresses nicely. The mystery was definitely not light - PTSD and mental illness were a factor but handled with dignity. Definitely recommending the series.

The Storied Life of A.J. FikrybyGabrielle Zevin. Hm. I liked the first half of the book. The second half I did not care for. It felt forced, manipulative and sad for sad's sake. I did enjoy the book references and the banter between AJ an Amelia.

Cleopatra's DaughterbyMichelle Moran. This was a good book about ...well...the daughter of Kleopatra. It was good, but didn't cover enough of her life. In the afterword they discussed what later happened to her and I wanted to read THAT book. lol Oh well. Maybe someone actually continued the story and I will get a chance to.

Buffalo West WingbyJulie Hyzy. Melodie have to give you a shoutout - you were right about this book. What a pleasant surprise! I don't know WHAT she did in between the last book and this one but- wow. It's a great mystery I did not figure out till Hyzy wanted me to. The second half of the book had me turning the pages. Not your usual cozy. Already have next one on order at the library.

DNF:

Treachery in Death wasn't my cup of tea. I've come to the conclusion I don't care for Nora Roberts in all her variations. I keep trying to make it work and it doesn't. I think we're better off with other people.

Heiress, P.I.- this seemed like a light fun read. Then the main character had TSTL moment after moment- and then she drank who knows how much, got behind the wheel of a car, drove, got a DUI and moved on to the next vapid act with such flippancy I DNF and one-starred it.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14610 comments Christina: Great month and love your summaries!
I enjoy the Laurie R King Mary Russell books a lot and also recommend them.
Your comment about Cleopatra's Daughter and wishing the book had gone down a different path and you had been able to read THAT book is a great way to put it when that happens with any book!
Christina wrote: "The Beekeeper's ApprenticebyLaurie R. King- This was a good book about the continuation of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries.
In the afterword they discussed what later happened to her and I wanted to read THAT book. lol Oh well. Maybe someone actually continued the story and I will get a chance to.
"

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14610 comments Oh, and I agree with your comment that the first and second half of The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry were quite different is spot on. I was thinking something similar as the events progressed.

message 4: by Melodie (last edited Aug 03, 2014 06:39PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments Glad to see Hyzy delivered for you! Definitely a series that gets better and better. You had a good month!

message 5: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Good month. Don't waste time with ones that aren't your taste.

message 6: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Good list!

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1639 comments Love your reviews Christina!

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8056 comments "I five-starred this baby seconds after reading it." LOL I love it! I think we have an addition to the M/T glossary, to join "throw-across-the-room-able" and "unputdowndable." Not to mention the many benches we've developed over the years.

I agree with Susie; love your reviews!