Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > Kristel's Backpacks Europe

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (last edited Sep 05, 2018 06:24PM) (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4247 comments Mod
I am not sure if I will be only reading 1001 books, so perhaps I shouldn't post here? Let me know and I can delete it.

Elmet (1)
The Heart's Invisible Furies (1)
Rob Roy 1
Independent People 1
Hunger (Norway), 1 point
Total 1001 points 3
Total points (5)

Updated 8/5/18

message 2: by Kristel (new)

Departure/Home: Minnesota, USA
Destination: Heathrow
First Stop: Elmet by Fiona Mozley.
Elmet is in England. I will post it’s location on Litsy.

message 3: by Kristel (last edited Jul 02, 2018 02:54PM) (new)

Completed Elmet, now off to Dublin, Ireland.
The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne. This one will slow me down. But I am just happy to get to my second book.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
So for the blog thread, you get one point. For this thread in the 1001 group, you don’t any points for this book. Basically you are tracking points in both places to quality for both prizes

message 5: by Kristel (new)

Jen wrote: "So for the blog thread, you get one point. For this thread in the 1001 group, you don’t any points for this book. Basically you are tracking points in both places to quality for both prizes"
Thanks, Jen, that is how I figured and so I gave my self 0 points for Reading 1001.

message 6: by Kristel (new)

Second book completed,
Location; Goleen and Dublin Ireland, Completed The Heart’s Invisible Furies by John Boyne.
Countries visited, England, Ireland
Destination: To Be Determined

0 1001 points
(2) non 1001 points

message 7: by Kristel (new)

I've headed to Scotland and am reading Rob Roy by Sir Walter Scott.

message 8: by Kristel (new)

Completed #3. Rob Roy for Scotland.
Countries visited England, Ireland, Scotland

Destination: thinking about what direction I will go next

1001 points 1
Non 1001 points (2)

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Can you keep your score tally in the top post (edit that one as your score changes). That way it's easier for me to see how many points people have without having to scroll through all the posts. Thanks!

message 10: by Kristel (new)

Jen wrote: "Can you keep your score tally in the top post (edit that one as your score changes). That way it's easier for me to see how many points people have without having to scroll through all the posts. T..." Done.

message 11: by Kristel (new)

Heading to Iceland with Independent People by Halldór Kiljan Laxness.

message 12: by Charisma (new)

Charisma (deadlikeme) | 96 comments Kristel wrote: "Heading to Iceland with Independent People by Halldór Kiljan Laxness."

Hi Kristel, how's your journey over Iceland? I just finished it a few days ago.

message 13: by Kristel (new)

Charisma wrote: "Kristel wrote: "Heading to Iceland with Independent People by Halldór Kiljan Laxness."

Hi Kristel, how's your journey over Iceland? I just finished it a few days ago."
I’ve a strong interest in someday actually seeing Iceland. I’ve read a couple other books set in Iceland. I can’t imagine living there. The book is interesting.

message 14: by Charisma (new)

Charisma (deadlikeme) | 96 comments My thoughts exactly: I cannot imagine myself living in such extreme conditions. Iceland sounds extremely beautiful and terrifying at the same time. Especially after reading this story.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments It is one of the prettiest places on earth.

message 16: by Kristel (new)

I will finish up with Independent People soon. I wonder, can I go to Lithuania from Iceland?

Jen, or anyone that knows?

message 17: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Kristel wrote: "I will finish up with Independent People soon. I wonder, can I go to Lithuania from Iceland?

Jen, or anyone that knows?"

no. Check out the list of ferry possibilities on the blog. I think from Iceland to UK or Sweden are the two options but I can't remember.

message 18: by Kristel (new)

Jen wrote: "Kristel wrote: "I will finish up with Independent People soon. I wonder, can I go to Lithuania from Iceland?

Jen, or anyone that knows?"

no. Check out the list of ferry possibilities on the blog..."
Thanks

message 19: by Kristel (new)

Finished Independent People taking the ferry to Norway. I will read either Hunger by Hamsun or Autumn by Karl Ove Knausgaard.

message 20: by Kristel (new)

Finished Hunger by Knut Hamsun.

message 21: by Charisma (new)

Charisma (deadlikeme) | 96 comments Kristel wrote: "Finished Hunger by Knut Hamsun."

How did you like it? I'm still reading it :)

message 22: by Kristel (new)

Charisma wrote: "Kristel wrote: "Finished Hunger by Knut Hamsun."

How did you like it? I'm still reading it :)"
I liked it. Reminded me of Dostoyevsky’s writing. I posted my review in the 1001 review folder if you want to take a look at my thoughts.

message 23: by Charisma (new)

Charisma (deadlikeme) | 96 comments Kristel wrote: "I posted my review in..."

Will do, thanks. Yes, I find the writing style not terrible at all, it's just the reading part that gets me... Hardly any time to actually dig deep and enjoy it :)

message 24: by Kristel (new)

Charisma wrote: "Kristel wrote: "I posted my review in..."

Will do, thanks. Yes, I find the writing style not terrible at all, it's just the reading part that gets me... Hardly any time to actually dig deep and en..."

I confess, I listened to the free librovox audio recording which was not half bad considering it was Librovox. Same reader for all sections and because it was mostly SOC it worked out real well. I had the book to find those passages that I thought were significant.

message 25: by Charisma (new)

Charisma (deadlikeme) | 96 comments Kristel wrote: "I confess, I listened to the free librovox audio recording which was not half bad considering it was Librovox. Same reader for all sections and because it was mostly SOC it worked out real well. I had the book to find those passages that I thought were significant."

Oh, that makes so much sense :)