New Adult Book Club discussion

Archived Monthly Group Reads > August contemporary group read *CLOSED*

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (last edited Aug 03, 2014 12:34PM) (new)

Lori (lorilovesbooks) | 350 comments The August contemporary group read is Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover. Ugly Love

Share what you think as you are reading or when you are finished. Please remember to hide any spoilers for those that have not read as far as you.

The book will be published Tuesday, August 5.

Amazon US - http://www.amazon.com/Ugly-Love-Colle...
Amazon UK - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ugly-Love-Col...
Barnes & Noble - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ugly-...

message 2: by Derna (last edited Aug 03, 2014 04:14PM) (new)

Derna | 5465 comments Mod
I just loved this book!! It was truly beautiful, and a must read.

My spoiler free review is here!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (manka23) I'm so impatient for my copy to get here. It's a review copy and media mail takes forever. It's been like 7 days.

message 4: by Derna (new)

Derna | 5465 comments Mod
Amanda wrote: "I'm so impatient for my copy to get here. It's a review copy and media mail takes forever. It's been like 7 days."

That's a long time to wait! Poor you! :(

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan (meganscoils) | 51 comments I'm jealous of y'all for getting those in ARC. I'm meeting her Tuesday though so :P

message 6: by seton (new)

seton (lindaseton42) | 9 comments 17% in
I'm surprised at the Miles chapters so far: they seem real juvenile, even for a hormonal 18 yr old boy.

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrea_b) | 1 comments I just binge-read it... it was good, but I was reminded a lot of Maybe Someday and... I don't know, I liked it but didn't love it.

message 8: by Maree (new)

Maree | 5 comments I really liked this book, at first I was worried where it was going to go with the whole miles & Rachel thing, and was frustrated by miles & his dad, and the way Tate just kept letting Miles treat her the way he did but overall I feel that was all resolved well and by the end I thought this was a great.. Sad but great book. Although, I have to say I still love hopeless and all it's related books better!

message 9: by Karina (new)

Karina Ramirez (karinaramirez) | 338 comments Cried my eyes out.

Just finished it and still crying.

I loved how when he was in love and happy the text was centered.

I'll give a much better response when I can actually see the keyboard. At the moment it's be obscured from my tears ...

message 10: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 6 comments I just finished. I liked it and that says enough for my favorite author.It was good like 3.5 but not great. the first half was drawn out. the second half better. I posted a review on my page but I am not giving up I love colleen hoover.

message 11: by seton (new)

seton (lindaseton42) | 9 comments I rated it 3.5 too.

message 12: by Prexie (last edited Aug 06, 2014 04:42PM) (new)

Prexie Halabi (superprexy) it's 5 for me. I have no reason to stop reading it. I'm so attach to it. and the wittyness (is that even a word?) tate was really balance the seriousness of miles. the author delivers another love story it's the ugly side of love and it shows you the diff of soul mate (miles and rachel) and true love (miles and tate; rachel and brad). it's ugly but it's a good feeling a good read

message 13: by Les (last edited Aug 08, 2014 07:51PM) (new)

Les (goodreadcomlmeyer74) | 18 comments amazing book! I don't thank Hoover can write something that's just passable. ALWAY brilliant

message 14: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi Loved it!! The only thing that held me back from giving it 5 stars was Miles' chapters. They came across a bit immature to me too. And the majority of them were written poetry style, which was fine the first couple chapters of his but it got old real quick.

I still loved it though! :)

message 15: by Veronica245 (new)

Veronica245 | 2 comments It was nice, but I didn't think it was great like "maybe someday" or "hopeless" but it was good.

message 16: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Sastroredjo (lievedebs) | 8 comments I'm reading it right now :)

message 17: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 21 comments I have to work myself up or more like calm myself down before I can read anything Hoover.

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary (twinkiesmom1) | 36 comments Hate this book!!! My book heroines deserve better book boyfriends than this. Felt the same way about Maybe, Someday (later, jerk!).

Spoilers are marked.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 19: by Jona (new)

Jona Dauz | 17 comments Currently reading it!

message 20: by Noelia (new)

Noelia (noelia93) | 4 comments I finished it last night and I really liked it. I really liked Tate and the side characters were great too, and though I have mixed feelings for Miles at the end I was rooting for him and Tate.

I have to confess I was expecting more, I wasn't as emotional as I thought I would be. And I think that's probably because of all the hype and my really high expectations. It wasn't bad, I mean, I really liked it, but some things reminded me (like someone said before) too much of Maybe Someday and I think I could have gone without Miles' chapters (at least the ones from the past).

message 21: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (kayaditi) As with all things Colleen Hoover, I sucked this book down! Later it hit me that it wasn't as gripping as many of her others, but I still loved it. The lead characters didn't have the same kind of explosive issues between them, but that makes it different as well I guess. Colleen can write a wide variety of stories, and I don't want to catch myself boxing her in to a formula of any kind. Not sure I'll rebuy in print necessarily though.

message 22: by Travis (new)

Travis Neighbor Ward (travisneighborward) | 2 comments Megan wrote: "I'm jealous of y'all for getting those in ARC. I'm meeting her Tuesday though so :P" I just saw it at Barnes & Noble in Atlanta, GA

message 23: by Natgki (new)

Natgki | 4 comments I read the book in one day and I loved it! Even though it's a little different in style from what Colleen Hoover has written so far, I still liked it. She never seizes to amaze me!

message 24: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Rose | 8 comments I loved it. It reminded me of Slammed with the poetry and that is what sucked me into her style. Her ability to incorporate poetry and a narrative creating a seamless story is amazing. All of the hype had my expectations a bit high, and I did feel like it didn't live up to them. That's not to say it wasn't amazing, I just wish I would have ignored all the marketing of it and read it with a blank slate if that makes any sense.

message 25: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Rose | 8 comments Noelia wrote: "I finished it last night and I really liked it. I really liked Tate and the side characters were great too, and though I have mixed feelings for Miles at the end I was rooting for him and Tate.

I..."

I completely agree with the hype. I expected to be gutted, and well, I wasn't.

message 26: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Andrew | 1 comments I thought this book was great.

message 27: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Diaz (bookvixen13) | 109 comments I loved the book. I think it was the right amount of realistic drama and the right amount of sex scenes. It was a good over all pager turner

message 28: by Heather (new)

Heather (smom2trips) | 7 comments I really wanted to like it, but just couldn't. Tate just seemed to be a total doormat, and the formatting of Miles' POV put me off.

message 29: by Valeria (new)

Valeria (muscav) I loved loved loved this.
This is exctly what really really good writing is to me. So flawless yet at the same time so intriguing.
I also find real Genius in the way Colleen formatted Miless' POV (but not all of it) giving to a visual aspect a whole lot of meaning.