Hoyt's Huns discussion

Book Of the Month Voting > September 2014 -- Military SF

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 2210 comments Mod
The August theme is Military SF.

Please nominate one Military SF work. In print is considered a nice touch.

message 2: by Mary (new)

For The Emperor by Sandy Mitchell

Action! Adventure! Humor! In far future wars!

It's in print in the omnibus Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium.

And then we can have great fannish debates about how exactly unjust Cain is being to himself. . . .

message 3: by Spike (new)

Spike Souders | 5 comments Janissaries by Pournelle. He reports he is working on book number 4(long overdue) but the first volume is a great start and realistic mil SF.

message 4: by Keith (new)

Keith Comeford | 24 comments Soldier, Ask Not by Gordon R. Dickson. Protagonist is NOT military but like all Dorsai books the military aspect is crtitcal. NO currently published dead tree version. Amazon and Alibris have used copies essentially for shipping cost. Kindle version available at a somewhat extortionate price given it's back catalog from the late 60's.

message 5: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Whisler | 1 comments If I only get one then it's gotta be Starship Troopers.

Simply the best discussion of how an American young man becomes a military leader of men.

(Yeah, I know. It wasn't 'murka in the book. Tough. Heinlein was a US military academy grad - Navy '29 - and that background and mindset is embedded in this book.)

message 6: by William (new)

William Eckman (brukkaros) | 4 comments I'm new here, so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to recommend something I've read and liked, or something I haven't read but might find interesting.

So, I'll do one of each:

Dauntless is one of my favorite military sci-fi books.

I'm considering reading David Drake's "Hammer's Slammers" stories. I haven't looked into them enough to know which one is first, or whether they need to be read in order.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Either is possible. So you have to choose one for yourself. 0:)

message 8: by mobius (new)

mobius wolf (mobiuswolf) | 75 comments ooooh! So many good choices.

message 9: by William (new)

William Eckman (brukkaros) | 4 comments Mary wrote: "Either is possible. So you have to choose one for yourself. 0:)"

I'll go with Dauntless, then.

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim Briggs | 9 comments Just one... err ack, well then I'll limit it to the following as it starts an enjoyable series but tied with Weber, Kratman, Flint...

A Hymn Before Battle by John Ringo

I love the Black Library books ie: Cain, but enjoy Gaunt more.

message 12: by Mary (new)

I like the Gaunt's Ghosts, too, but think that Cain is more likely to be of interest to all Huns, not just those are fans of military fiction.

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura Montgomery | 39 comments William wrote: "I'm new here, so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to recommend something I've read and liked, or something I haven't read but might find interesting.

So, I'll do one of each:

Dauntless ..."

Dauntless was a lot of fun and my favorite of that series.

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura Montgomery | 39 comments I nominate David Drake's The Tank Lords. I've been wanting to read his Hammer's Slammers, and have had no clue where to start. There are two awesome things about The Tank Lords. 1. It's in order, and 2. It's free on kindle right now. Just picked it up.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura Montgomery | 39 comments Laura wrote: "I nominate David Drake's The Tank Lords. I've been wanting to read his Hammer's Slammers, and have had no clue where to start. There are two awesome things about The Tank Lords. 1. It's in orde..."

Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Tank-Lords-Davi...

message 16: by Mary (new)

Philosophic observation: I don't think we would have gotten as many nominees if this were military fantasy.

message 17: by Clyde (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 307 comments Mary wrote: "Philosophic observation: I don't think we would have gotten as many nominees if this were military fantasy."

Heh. True dat.

message 18: by Jim (last edited Aug 06, 2014 08:58AM) (new)

Jim Briggs | 9 comments Mary wrote: "Philosophic observation: I don't think we would have gotten as many nominees if this were military fantasy."

I'd have responded to that with something from Elizabeth Moon's Paksinarrion, the Drake/Flint Belisarius series or some of the Turtledove stuff. :P

edit: got my :P in the wrong place so moved it.

message 19: by Clyde (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 307 comments Jim wrote: "Mary wrote: "Philosophic observation: I don't think we would have gotten as many nominees if this were military fantasy."

I'd have responded to that with something from Elizabeth Moon's Paksinarr..."

Good points, Jim. I totally love Elizabeth Moon's Paksinarrion universe, and it is sooo military.
There is a world of good stuff out there to be read. Goddess give us time to read it all.

message 20: by Mary (new)

Getting the poll out a bit late. I blame the flu.

But it's here:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...