Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Hamlet
This topic is about Hamlet
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Buddy Reads > Hamlet -- Buddy Read July 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 213 (213 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9888 comments Mod
Melanti & Katy are reading Hamlet by William Shakespeare in July. Hope you can join us.

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

When are you planning on reading this one Melanti? I can read anytime this month.

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 301 comments is it OK for me to join you too read this?

I've been meaning to for ages, just been - well, putting it off - to me it feels like one of the tougher Shakespeare reads.

I can do this month too

message 4: by Melanti (last edited Jul 17, 2018 01:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melanti | 2383 comments Oh, somehow I missed this thread earlier.

I should be reading this more towards the end of the month. I haven't yet decided which day I'm going to see the play yet, but it's the last week of July & first week of August.

Melanti | 2383 comments Inkspill wrote: "is it OK for me to join you too read this?

I've been meaning to for ages, just been - well, putting it off - to me it feels like one of the tougher Shakespeare reads.

I can do this month too"

The more the merrier! I hope you enjoy it! It's one of my favorite plays by Shakespeare.

message 6: by Brina (new) - added it

Brina I will try too, Melanti. My reading pace has picked up and I will try to squeeze it in.

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2058 comments I will try to join you all too.

Franky | 179 comments I would love to join. I love this one. My favorite from Shakespeare. I find it to be such a rich and ambitious play. I'll probably get to it after I finish up two other books.

message 9: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Looks like this will be a fun buddy read; I'm happy to see more people joining us. Welcome everyone.

message 10: by Brina (new) - added it

Brina I'll have my copy in about a week.

Cynda  (cynda) | 3448 comments I might re-read some selections from the play and jump in from time to time--If that Is okay too.

message 12: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Cynda wrote: "I might re-read some selections from the play and jump in from time to time--If that Is okay too."

Absolutely

Cynda  (cynda) | 3448 comments Hey Brina, I'm back . . . . So we might be reading together here :-)

message 14: by Brina (new) - added it

Brina Yay. Remember I'm not a "fan" of Shakespeare. I try to read 1-2 plays a year to sharpen my reading skills. I figured a buddy read is just what I needed to push me to get that second play read.

Melanti | 2383 comments I found a copy of the Arden edition of this on the clearance rack about a month or so ago. Excellent timing.

I've never used an Arden edition as the notes seem so overwhelming, but I'm interested in seeing if I like them once I give them a try. I might do a bunch of switching back and forth between the less intimidating Folger and the Arden. We'll see how it goes.

message 16: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Do share what is useful and interesting Melanti.

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 301 comments Melanti wrote: "Inkspill wrote: "is it OK for me to join you too read this?

I can do t..."

Brill - thanks, somehow I've managed to read the first two scenes of Act 1 - in places tough, and needed to reread several times - so it's to read this as part of a group

message 18: by Brina (new) - added it

Brina Inkspill I can read this tonight.

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 301 comments xcellent - I've somehow managed to get to the end of act 1

the toughest bit was working out that the Hamlet and Fortinbras mentioned in scene1 (lines 80-105), the long speech by Horatio, are actually the fathers of Hamlet and Fortinbras that are in the play

there are others that I stumbled on, but this was the biggest one for me

message 20: by Brina (new) - added it

Brina Well I didn't start. I'll wait for the others as I'm also reading a large book at the moment. I'm just waiting to see what a few people are reading to begin.

message 21: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I plan to start reading Monday the 16th.

message 22: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Chaitra wrote: "I sincerely hope that you wouldn't mind me joining 😅 I've been meaning to read one of Shakespeare's work."

Yes, please join us.

message 23: by Melanti (last edited Jul 13, 2018 10:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melanti | 2383 comments I really don't plan my reading schedule, so I can't say when I'll start other than "Soon." But I did pick it up last night and noticed the intro in my edition is almost as many pages as the play itself.

It's a play I've read & seen many times, though, so I can join the discussion whenever.

message 24: by Brina (new) - added it

Brina My intro is also long so I skimmed it. I will read the play this weekend so I can participate in discussions starting Monday.

Franky | 179 comments I've started Act 1, and am watching the 1981 BBC version of the film alongside after I finish the act. Derek Jacobi is playing Hamlet in this one and it's a really good version. It's a rare version I think and hard to get a hold of, but I'm viewing it on Amazon prime. It really makes for an interesting reading/viewing experience.

It will probably take me a while to finish the play, as I'm reading another two books at the same time.

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2058 comments I have to wait at least a week to start it..

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 301 comments no worries, wherever you can all start, that will be neat

I always find the essays, intros interesting, they help me to think about the text better from different perspectives

I've read Hamlet before, but it's a Shakespeare play whose subtleties have eluded me, so this time I'm trying to do a close reading

Franky, BBC version with Jacobi, thanks, good to know, I'll try and watch the first act, hopefully this weekend, to try and help me really grasp this play better

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 301 comments Chaitra wrote: "I actually have Complete works of Shakespeare (including his sonnets) so there's nothing of an intro or prologue. (It's in his original writing not translated version)."

excellent - you have all his works at hand

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 301 comments Read to the end of Act 2, and watched BBC's Hamlet to the end of Act 1 - which was seriously helpful - and Jacobi's performance, so instinctive and natural - amazing

I read when this play is performed it’s usually cut – if they performed the full-length as it was written it would run 5.5 hours, I mean can you imagine – 5.5, wow now that’s long

Franky | 179 comments Inkspill wrote: "Read to the end of Act 2, and watched BBC's Hamlet to the end of Act 1 - which was seriously helpful - and Jacobi's performance, so instinctive and natural - amazing

I read when this play is perfo..."

I know the Kenneth Branaugh version is a little over 4 hours, and I think it is fairly close to being word for word. But, yeah, it is such a long play that it would quite a long film if they included every single line.

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 301 comments I read that an average Elizabethan play is 3000 lines, Hamlet is 4042

maybe it's the way I'm reading it, but there are moments where the action is not really moving forward but going over the same point, not that it matters as the language is delicious

I kind of remember reading the previous time I read this play that Shakespeare wrote this play just after his son died. I can't remember his son's name, I thought it was something like Hamlet

Franky | 179 comments I honestly really love Act 1 so much, the scene with Hamlet seeing his father's ghost is quite remarkable, one of the more visually stunning scenes I can remember in reading Shakespeare..
And to see how it is handled visually in play or film is great as well. Some critics argue that this makes Hamlet "insane" from this point forward on throughout the play. I thought that was interesting, and I'm mulling over it.

Melanti | 2383 comments Inkspill wrote: I can't remember his son's name, I thought it was something like Hamlet .."

It was. But the name "Hamlet" does come from a lost play (referred to as Ur-Hamlet) published a decade or so earlier, so the connection isn't as simple as the character being named after the son.

Melanti | 2383 comments I finished the Introduction in my edition yesterday. 160 pages of intro, and only 35 were actually about the content of the play. The rest of it was about the publication history and possible sources. It was a very LONG 160 pages.

message 35: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Sorry I may not get to read this for a bit. My Aunt passed away yesterday morning. She was single and has no children of her own, so us cousins are handling things. A very dear lady.

message 36: by Cynda (last edited Jul 17, 2018 12:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cynda  (cynda) | 3448 comments I am sorry Katy. Sounds like your aunt made you and your cousins her children. How blessed you all have been to have had an extra motherly figure in your lives. I hope working together will allow you all some comfort. May your aunt rest in rest.

Melanti | 2383 comments I"m sorry to hear that, Katy!

message 38: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bob | 5124 comments Mod
Very sorry to hear about your aunt.

message 39: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Thanks all.

Franky | 179 comments Sorry for your loss Katy.

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 301 comments Katy, I just read your post, sorry for your loss - and thanks for starting this thread, I never thought I would read Hamlet again but reading this play with others is helping. Best

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 301 comments Franky, isn't it an interesting play - so much going on

I can't make up my mind if Hamlet is 'insane' or pretending to be

After the ghost leaves, Jacobi's performance left me in no doubt, and I thought it just tipped him over

but there are in moments in Act 2&3 (I've read up to Act 3 but watched up to Act2) which leave me in doubt

so right now I'm thinking he's pretending - ummmm, I think

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 301 comments Melanti - now that's a coincidence, Hamlet coming from a lost play, and around the time Shakespeare wrote this he had lost his son, I'm sure it his name was something like Hamlet

what a coincidence?

BTW, reading the intro sounds like a feat in itself

Rosemarie | 1580 comments Shakespeare's son was called Hamnet.

message 45: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3642 comments Mod
I am finally ready to join the Hamlet book group! I found a copy of it in my Norton Introduction to Literature second edition. Although I have never read it before, my oldest son read it in his Honors English class in High School. He was then assigned to watch three different film adaptations of play. I watched along with him. I remember how fun that weekend was.

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 301 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Shakespeare's son was called Hamnet."

Hamnet - yes, that's it - thanks :)

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 301 comments Chaitra wrote: "I started reading and simultaneously listening to the audiobook in librivox. It's soo good to have an imagination of the expression and a voice for the characters."

Now that's a smarter way to read it

message 48: by Liza (new)

Liza Tishchenko (thames_nocturne) | 27 comments Not sure if anyone has posted about this already, but I just wanted to jump in here with a recommendation to see BBC's new version of Hamlet with Andrew Scott as the lead. Very different, very aesthetically pleasing, very moving. I loved it and hope those of you who make the time to see it (it's over 3 hours long, but oh so worth it) will too!

Franky | 179 comments Liza wrote: "Not sure if anyone has posted about this already, but I just wanted to jump in here with a recommendation to see BBC's new version of Hamlet with Andrew Scott as the lead. Very different, very aest..."

Nice, I'm always looking for another version of Hamlet to see with the play.

message 50: by Ginger (new) - added it

Ginger I wish I had seen this earlier in the month and I would have joined the BR! I'll have to try and read this in the next month or two.
Did everyone seem to enjoy it the second/third time around?

« previous 1 3 4 5
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.