You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Preparation > September 2014 - Theme Nominations

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1039 comments It's that time!!! Throw out those theme nominations for September!

Nominations close August 8!

message 2: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1971 comments Isn't it Labor Day in the U.S. in the beginning of September? If so, I nominate the theme of having an occupation/profession in the title (e.g. policeman, doctor, lawyer).

message 3: by Pragya (last edited Aug 03, 2014 12:53PM) (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3533 comments Runaway children. Absurd, I know but oh, well.

message 4: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Classics - they always prompt for a lot of discussion and I haven't read one in a while

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2589 comments For some, September is the month for Harvest Festival. So nominations about food; in the title, picture on the cover, or in the subject matter of the book.

message 6: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3076 comments Kirila wrote: "Classics - they always prompt for a lot of discussion and I haven't read one in a while"

I like the idea of reading a classic, but that's a HUGE list to pick from. To narrow it down, I nominate classic books written in the 1800's.

message 7: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14773 comments As September is the beginning of the new school year, I'm going to stick with beginnings, and I nominate 'the first book in a series'

message 8: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I like that one, Peggy.

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen Juniper (jenjuniper) | 1 comments Lynn wrote: "For some, September is the month for Harvest Festival. So nominations about food; in the title, picture on the cover, or in the subject matter of the book."

I second Lynn, this is great idea! I do love food. In many forms.

message 10: by Liz (last edited Aug 04, 2014 09:27AM) (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) | 504 comments As many of us head back to school, how about a Banned Books theme?

message 11: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments I think we did a banned book theme last year but it was interesting. Really hoping we don't have a classic on our hands - I need any easier read! I like your idea Peggy of first in the series!

message 12: by Liz (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) | 504 comments I probably should've looked back through the old themes, since I'm a fairly new member. Sorry for the duplicate! :)

message 13: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3076 comments Sarah wrote: "I think we did a banned book theme last year but it was interesting. Really hoping we don't have a classic on our hands - I need any easier read! I like your idea Peggy of first in the series!"

Sarah, not all classics are deep or serious. Some are fun and entertaining. Such as: Northanger Abbey, The Diary of a Nobody, A Study in Scarlet or Little Women.

If 1800's classics wins the nomination process, I bet we could find something light to read.

message 14: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1971 comments Lanelle wrote: "Some are fun and entertaining. Such as: Northanger Abbey, The Diary of a Nobody, A Study in Scarlet or Little Women."

I guess the deepness or seriousness is in the eye of the reader (or in what genre or type of books you're used to read). I've read (or actually listened to) Northanger Abbey, and no way would I call it either fun or entertaining.

message 15: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3076 comments Camilla wrote: "Lanelle wrote: "Some are fun and entertaining. Such as: Northanger Abbey, The Diary of a Nobody, A Study in Scarlet or Little Women."

I guess the deepness or seriousness is in the eye of the reade..."

You are absolutely right. It helps that I already love Austen's work, but when I read Northanger Abbey for the first time, I knew it was a parody and maybe I enjoyed it more knowing that Austen wrote it to make fun of the gothic books written in that time.

message 16: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments I can do serious and deep - it's not that. I suppose I mean easy to read so I don't have to struggle through it. I also find most classics really dry, not very descriptive with regards to world or character creation and pretty boring. I just don't enjoy them!

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Aug 04, 2014 11:33AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47818 comments For me, it's the language and style that makes it a struggle to read. But, still I try - not always successful. LOL!

message 18: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3076 comments I guess it all depends on what kind of 'classic' book you read. Yes, I agree. Plain classic literature can be dry and boring, especially the old stuff.

But then there is classic romance, science fiction or mystery. They tend to be more sensational. In my opinion, those aren't as difficult to read as the classic literature.

message 19: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16832 comments You could always read some Oscar Wilde if it comes up. Or something like H.G. Wells. But. Jumping the gun here.

And Liz, don't worry about the duplicate suggestion. The mods can't keep up with all the things we have done, we can't expect anyone else can either. Thanks Sarah for noticing.

Hmmm... so many northern hemisphere centric suggestions ;) what can I suggest to balance it out...
Books with things that make you sneeze in the title. So eg Flowers for Algernon, The Cat's Table, Antic Hay, Pepper

message 20: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Hahaha! I love that one, Rusalka!

message 21: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16832 comments Hehe I love spring. My nose doesn't.

message 22: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14773 comments Haha Rusalka, that's the most brilliant suggestion ever :D

message 23: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3533 comments That's innovative, Rusalka.

message 24: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16832 comments I feel like I've done myself out of a challenge topic now...

message 25: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments Your idea made me laugh Rusalka! Love it!

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47818 comments Rusalka wrote: "I feel like I've done myself out of a challenge topic now..."

Oops! LOL!

message 27: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3076 comments Rusalka wrote: "I feel like I've done myself out of a challenge topic now..."

If for some odd reason your nomination doesn't make it to the finals, I say go for it. I've already been thinking of books I have that might work.

message 28: by Liz (last edited Aug 05, 2014 04:54PM) (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) | 504 comments How about in honor of September's Fall Hat Month, Read a book with someone wearing a hat on the cover.

message 29: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47818 comments Liz wrote: "How about in honor September's fall hat month, Read a book with someone wearing a hat on the cover."

I have Drood Drood by Dan Simmons , but it's 775 pages so not going to work for a monthly group read. LOL!

message 30: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3076 comments Liz wrote: "How about in honor September's fall hat month, Read a book with someone wearing a hat on the cover."

Oooo. Think of all the cowboy hats!

message 31: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16832 comments Liz wrote: "How about in honor September's fall hat month, Read a book with someone wearing a hat on the cover."

I am going to be looking for hats all day now!

message 32: by Liz (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) | 504 comments Ive been meaning to read The Tea Rose The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) by Jennifer Donnelly forever!

message 33: by Cherie (last edited Aug 05, 2014 05:42PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19729 comments Rusalka wrote: "Liz wrote: "How about in honor September's fall hat month, Read a book with someone wearing a hat on the cover."

I am going to be looking for hats all day now!"

Here are a couple I found. :) Ulysses by James Joyce , Why Sinatra Matters by Pete Hamill , The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

I searched through a little more than half of the books on my TBR list and found 35 covers with people wearing hats. I like Zorro by Isabel Allende and Davy Crockett by Constance Rourke and The Travels of Jaimie McPheeters by Robert Lewis Taylor :)

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47818 comments Liz wrote: "Ive been meaning to read The Tea Rose The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1) by Jennifer Donnelly forever!"

Oh yeah! Love that cover. :)

message 35: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments Hats! Sounds like a great idea.

message 36: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14773 comments Who knew there would be so many covers with hats!

I bought The Tea Rose last month, I have it in my next chunkster section, so it would be perfect :D

message 37: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1971 comments I looked at my TBR list as well and first I had trouble finding anything with hats, as I'm not too much into historical fiction. But came up with these

Unpossible and Other Stories by Daryl Gregory Historical Lovecraft by Silvia Moreno-Garcia The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard by Robert E. Howard Portable Childhoods by Ellen Klages

message 38: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Hats, I love that one too! Great one, Liz!

message 39: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments First book in a series gets my nomination. I have so many series I want to start.

message 40: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47818 comments Debra wrote: "First book in a series gets my nomination. I have so many series I want to start."

I have a bunch of books I own in one format or another that are first books in a series. I also have a whack of series that I want to continue. It's a two edged sword.

message 41: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19729 comments Peggy wrote: "Who knew there would be so many covers with hats!

I bought The Tea Rose last month, I have it in my next chunkster section, so it would be perfect :D"

I gave in and added this one to my TBR list. I have seen the cover and a few reviews but had resisted adding it until now (I like your "really-really-want-to-read" shelf, Peggy.)

message 42: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14773 comments I plan to read it for my next chunkster milestone, I'll let you know if it's worth keeping on your tbr :)

message 43: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19729 comments Short stories? I seem to have collected several volumes along the way and have yet to read them.