Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2018 Classic Bingo Challenge > Lynn's 2018 Classic Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Dec 09, 2018 03:06PM) (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3633 comments Mod
This is so fun! I may try to come up with a variant of it for my 8th Grade ELA class.

B1: Written by Nobel Laureate As I Lay Dying William Faulkner 1/7/2018 ✔
B2: Children’s Classic The Rightful Owner Jessie Stuart 7/24/2018 ✔
B3 Government Banned Book All Quiet on the Western Front 7/14/2018 ✔
B4: Classic Made into a Film/TV The Pearl John Steinbeck 5/8/2018 ✔
B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize The Little Prince Antoine de Saint-Exupery 7/12/2018 ✔

I1: Twentieth Century Classic The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton 9/6/2018 ✔
I2: New-to-You Author Summer by Edith Wharton 8/18/2018 ✔
I3: Mystery or Crime Classic The Ransom of Red Chief by O'Henry 5/26/2018 ✔
I4: Classic of More than 500 Pages The Secret History by Donna Tartt 10/1/2018 ✔
I5: 18th Century or Earlier Classic https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

N1 North American Classic We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson 7/28/2018 ✔
N2: Classic Short Story Rip van Winkle by Washington Irving 9/8/2018 ✔
N3: FREE SPACE Cold Comfort Farm Stella Gibbons 9/10/2018 ✔
N4: Classic Play The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams 7/5/2018 ✔
N5: African Classic The Fall by Albert Camus 7/2/2018 ✔

G1: 19th Century Classic The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg by Mark Twain 7/19/2018 ✔
G2: Finest Works of Fiction (Martin Seymour-Smith & Editors) The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka 11/11/2018 ✔
G3: Adventure or Action Classic The Romance of Tristan and Iseult Joseph Bedier and Hillaire Belloc 6/29/2018 ✔
G4: Group Read The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West 9/8/2018 ✔
G5: 21st Century Potential Classic A Dog's Purpose W. Bruce Cameron 4/4/2018 ✔

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region The Dark Is Rising Susan Cooper 7/25/2018 ✔
O2: Lesser known book by a famous author Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adam 9/1/2018 ✔
O3: Australia, Antarctica, or Oceania Classic My Brilliant Career by Miles Franklin 12/2/2018 ✔
O4: A Classic that you have put off reading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (unabridged and illustrated, pub. 1970) by L. Frank Baum https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7... 7/4/2018 ✔
O5: Classic written by a Female Author The Incredible Journey Sheila Burnford 5/11/2018 ✔

reply | flag *

message 2: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Dec 02, 2018 07:33PM) (new)

message 3: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments Helen, I absolutely love The Ransom of Red Chief by O. Henry!! I laughed till I cried! Hope you enjoyed it as much :)

I also have The Incredible Journey on one of my lists. Plan to get to it soon. Happy Reading :)

message 4: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Jul 24, 2018 01:07PM) (new)

Thanks. The Incredible Journey is available as a free rtf download. That was what I printed for my class to read. If you are interested at4all.pbworks.com/f/incredible+journ.... And yes, The Ransom of Red Chief is excellent.

message 5: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9874 comments Mod
Helen wrote: "This is so fun! I may try to come up with a variant of it for my 8th Grade ELA class. ..."

I'd love to see what you come up with!

And welcome to the challenge and I hope you enjoy it and the reading adventure.

message 6: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments I would have some kind of challenge like this when I was in school! Good idea, Helen :)

message 7: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Jul 24, 2018 02:57PM) (new)

Ok, here is the Reading Challenge Bingo I worked up for my classroom.

I couldn't figure out how to share the actual Bingo card, because I made it on a Google Doc. We use an online Google Classroom tool in our school. Here is the link to the Google Doc I made if anyone is interested.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1I...

message 8: by Brina (new)

Brina Helen is it all right if I share this with the language arts teacher at my kids' school. She teaches 6-8. Are you doing this as ongoing for the year? When a student finishes (s)he gets a prize? So curious by the possibilities.

message 9: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Dear Brina,
Of course you can share. This would be ongoing for the year. I will encourage students to enter texts we read in the classroom, as a way to get them to think about what they are reading and remember what we have done. I think it will count as extra credit. 1. Many will find it fun and motivational, but if it is a high-stakes grade it will encourage cheating among struggling readers. There are 12 required books to complete the entire card. We will only read about 5 in class and another 3 as required homework reading for book reports. 2. We give mandatory common assessments that are VERY difficult (68% average for the entire grade of 250+ students), thus we need extra credit opportunities. I was thinking maybe 10 points for a line BINGO and 25 points for a whole card added onto a test grade. But I will have to really watch for cheating. I also was thinking occasionally I would have a reading day with articles and short stories to help them fill a space - maybe on library day. But there are 3 ELA teachers in my grade so all this is subject to "team" approval. By giving everyone a good chance of getting 10 points, most won't feel the need to cheat and lie to get 25. I also might give the 10 points by Christmas and just not announce the 25 point option until about Spring Break while still encouraging them to keep working for the 10 points if they haven't reached it yet. Sorry if that is more detail than you wanted. Thanks for the interest.

message 10: by Brina (new)

Brina I just think it broadens students reading especially at an age where boys especially aren't interested in books. I hope she uses something like this I think it's great.

message 11: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Jul 24, 2018 07:00PM) (new)

Dear Brina,
I also filled out a Bingo card that I will show the students as an example using texts I actually read last year. Yellow indicates texts I read independently and green indicates texts that were read as a group. To make things more complicated I have students for 1 hour a day for regular ELA but we also have a 30 minutes RTI (reading groups) class each morning where students are mixed up, so there could be a lot of variation in the texts students read as a group in the RTI class.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q...

message 12: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments Helen wrote: "Ok, here is the Reading Challenge Bingo I worked up for my classroom.

I couldn't figure out how to share the actual Bingo card, because I made it on a Google Doc. We use an online Google Classroom..."

Helen, I love it! I would have absolutely gone crazy for something like this when I was in school! Hope you and your students have fun with it :)

message 13: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments Echoing Terris’s comment. It’s a great idea! I too would have loved this when I was a student - but then I was already a book worm :0)

message 14: by Brina (new)

Brina I also already loved to read. I've had my 6th grade daughter reading classics this summer, but my son going into 8th grade has a narrow focus of what he's willing to read. I think this is great.

message 15: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments I didn't realize that Picnic at Hanging Rock was Australian!! It was on my TBR list and I didn't get to it this year. Let me know what you think of it. Because I ended up going with My Brilliant Career for my Australian book -- and I'm really enjoying it! I should finish it tomorrow. I've been told that it doesn't have much of a plot, just the telling of this girl's life, so I'm not expecting much of an ending. But I'm glad that I read it because I had not heard of it before people started using it in this category. You might want to keep it on your list :)

message 16: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments Well, Helen, I'm kind of going back & forth here -- did I see on another thread that you ended up going with My Brilliant Career for the Australian category? If you did, I'm interested in what you think about it. Let me know when you finish (I'm finishing tomorrow) and maybe we can discuss it a bit. I think it's interesting, and I don't know anyone else who's read it :)

message 17: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3420 comments Good find for the Australian category Helen! I'm adding that one to my TBR

message 18: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Dec 03, 2018 05:07PM) (new)

My Brilliant Career: Well so far at 28% she has already had two career possibilities and Grannie is grooming her for a third.

This book really does meet the spirit of the Bingo Challenge. I am hearing references to authors and poets I have never heard of. My only knowledge of Australia come from reading The Thorn Birds which I loved. I love looking up photos of the Australia wattle. Also, I enjoyed hearing the descriptions of the brutal lifestyle of dairy farmers in that arid land. Cows must be "lifted". Who knew?

Miles Franklin has a very strong personality that jumps off the page. She writes with all the teenage angst you would expect from a modern YA book, but set in the late 1800s.

I read Things Fall Apart recently for Bingo, and despised the book. (I will leave Camus in for Africa although he is really iffy.) I despised it the same way I despised The Color Purple and The Handmaid's Tale because of strong male characters in each that I truly hated. My Brilliant Career is exotic enough to be interesting, but familiar enough to be comforting after the trauma of Nigeria. I know this sounds like a lot of hyperbole, but I truly passionately hated those three books.

message 19: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Helen wrote: "My Brilliant Career: Well so far at 28% she has already had two career possibilities and Grannie is grooming her for a third.

This book really does meet the spirit of the Bingo Challenge. I am he..."

I am adding this to my reading list for 2019. Sounds so interesting.

message 20: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 6110 comments Mod
I'm adding it as well.

message 21: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Dec 02, 2018 07:38PM) (new)

My Brilliant Career by Miles Franklin I absolutely loved My Brilliant Career. What a wonderful ending!! Although I personally was wishing for a different ending, it was written in just a lovely, positive way that I had to accept the author's choice. I loved the author's voice. What a strong, unique writer. She was of the same mold as other writers for girls in the 1800s, yet not. She was so honest she sounds contemporary. I was completely drawn into the story and its characters. In fact, I may copy and paste what I just wrote for a review.

Oh and as an afterthought, I finished my 2018 Bingo Challenge. Yea!!!

message 22: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1580 comments Congrats on finishing, Helen!

message 23: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Congrats on finishing your Bingo challenge, Helen!

message 24: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Thank you Renee

message 25: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 6110 comments Mod
Congrats on the finish, Helen and on doing it with a book you loved. I am anxious to read My Brilliant Career now, and I had never heard of it before you mentioned it here!

message 26: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2058 comments Congrats,Helen .

message 27: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Congrats on completing your challenge Helen.