The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) The Silkworm discussion

Robin and Strike

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth R Hate this suggestion of a subplot (in the book, not criticizing you!!)as it pushes Strike and Robin directly into the ditch of the cliched detective and assistant. Yawn.

Kressel Housman His feelings are there, but I think Robin would rather be his assistant than his girlfriend, so if she ever ditches Matt, she still might not go for Strike, no matter how tempting he might be. So I think Strike will end up with a broken heart, but an excellent partner.

Richard physically i think the feeling is there - men at some point always notice looks (sorry for that).

but strike see's her as more than a bed partner so i don't think relationship would develop.

the silkworm wasn't as good as Cuckoo, it was quite lazy and flabby in delivery and seemed to forget it even had a mystery quite often. here's hoping

Eukaryote Galbraith dropped hints on this heavily - on both sides. Can't remember where, but Robin actually thought "Why did he (Strike) have to approve [of her marrying Matthew]?" That stands out. But at this point, I think Robin is unsure of her relationship with Matt and it opens the doors to other possibilities such as Strike. Personally, I love them as a pair and I do think JK Rowling is going there. I know JK Rowling. But they won't actually become a pair until probably the end of the last book in the series.

Susan Absolutely agree with Richard and Molly. Silkworm wasn't as good as Cuckoo - though I still enjoyed it enormously. I'm looking forward to a series - but she'll need to sharpen up her act from Strike #2 to keep me engaged through another six books.

Molly - I think you're absolutely right. JKR's going to keep the Strike / Robin thing going - no doubt through all sorts of ups-and-downs in their respective love-lives - and we'll get the big reveal at the end of the series. I don't think, for example, that we've heard the last of Charlotte yet. I do wish Robin'd ditch Mr Deathly Dull Mathew though!!

Gisela Hafezparast Elizabeth wrote: "Hate this suggestion of a subplot (in the book, not criticizing you!!)as it pushes Strike and Robin directly into the ditch of the cliched detective and assistant. Yawn."

Totally agree. Don't think that will happen though.

Andrea Johnston I am a little late to this party. but I liked both books although Cuckoo really grabbed me. Both were audio books for me and I found the accents used for the characters really enhanced the story.

I hope JKR doesn't bring Robin and Strike together - little hints of what he might want in a relationship are far more titillating. I also think we've not heard the last of Charlotte.

Lynn Andrea wrote: "I am a little late to this party. but I liked both books although Cuckoo really grabbed me. Both were audio books for me and I found the accents used for the characters really enhanced the story.
..."
I listened to both titles. As always the narrator makes or breaks the book. This one was perfect.

Kirk Sherlock Holmes and Watson never hooked up, so why should Robin and Cormoran?

Kressel Housman LOL. Because Cormoran actually has feelings for Robin, and she admires him enough that she could love him, too. But she just might love her work for him more.

Susan Andrea wrote: "I am a little late to this party. but I liked both books although Cuckoo really grabbed me. Both were audio books for me and I found the accents used for the characters really enhanced the story.
..."

The readings were absolutely wonderful. They were read by Robert Glenister here (UK), was it the same narrator for you, Andrea / Lynn?

message 12: by Lynn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn Yes, the narrator was Robert Glenister for both books. He was perfect. I am so ready for the next Cormoran book.

Andrea Johnston Yes the same narrator and I really enjoyed his work.

Kritika Sharma I think Robin and Strike will remain being friends. J K Rowling is the kind of person who values friendship more than love or romance. It is my understanding that till some drastic climax is reached, Robin and Strike will be the best of friends and nothing more than that.

Blakelyn Strike doesn't just admire Robin's looks. He admires her as a person, and respects her work. The latter cannot be said for her fiance. The end of the Silkworm had Strike kissing her hand to say goodbye. Rowling is definitely setting up a romance that will likely climax at the end of the book series. The only thing that makes me question it, is that there was a line in The Cuckoo's Calling in which she mentioned something about how Robin would marry Matt and spend many happy years with him. I can't remember the exact verbage, so I may have misunderstood it. I would like to see Strike and Robin end up together.

Kressel Housman Blakelyn wrote: "there was a line in The Cuckoo's Calling in which she mentioned something about how Robin would marry Matt and spend many happy years with him. I can't remember the exact verbage, so I may have misunderstood it. "

I don't remember the line, but since the action is more immediate and the book is not a tale being told of the past with the perspective of the future, that's probably Robin's imaginings of her own future. Remember, when we first meet her, she's just become engaged to Matt.

message 17: by E (new) - rated it 5 stars

E I know Rowling's definitely hinting at a romance further down the line, but I think Robin sees Strike as a mentor more than anything. I don't think her and Matt will last (he sounds horrible) but I hope that if they do split up Robin and Strike don't fall into each other's arms. I can imagine Robin and Cormoran being best of friends but not a couple.

message 18: by Bess (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bess I don't see them as a couple, more like partners jobs. Sherlock and Watson. Nothing about romance.

Antonia Scribbley wrote: "I know Rowling's definitely hinting at a romance further down the line, but I think Robin sees Strike as a mentor more than anything. I don't think her and Matt will last (he sounds horrible) but I..."

In "Silkworm", Robin's already become more of an intellectual partner to Strike; he's starting to realize that she is clever and brainy and is giving her more responsibility as a detective. Also,Robin is starting to realize how controlling Matt is by then too. I think: no romantic attachment, between Cormoran and Robin, but they will evolve as an efficient crime solving team. So happy BBC is making this into a TV show; hope they can do a whole series.

Kirk wrote: "Sherlock Holmes and Watson never hooked up, so why should Robin and Cormoran?"

message 20: by E (new) - rated it 5 stars

E Antonia wrote: "Scribbley wrote: "I know Rowling's definitely hinting at a romance further down the line, but I think Robin sees Strike as a mentor more than anything. I don't think her and Matt will last (he soun..."
I haven't read The Cuckoo's Calling so I don't really know if Cormoran is giving Robin more responsibility than previously. It is obvious that Robin wants more, though, and I think Cormoran realises that (finally!) at the end of the book. Here's to them becoming a team and Robin getting rid of horrible Matt!
Didn't know the beeb were doing a show- can't wait to see how that turns out :)

message 21: by A (new) - rated it 5 stars

A Davis I would really just love to see Robin and Strike become really good friends. Best friends. I know they're already quite close, but I don't feel there's any need for there to be a romance. But I would really love to see a great friendship blossom there.

That being said, I wouldn't HATE it if they did come together romantically. I just don't think it's needed.

Sarina Antonia wrote: ".......So happy BBC is making this into a TV show; hope they can do a whole series."

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D For letting me know that!!! I am eternally grateful to you for the news! My insides are jumpin' n dancin' with excitement!!!!

Katherine While I notice the spark between Robin and Strike, I have to admit that I'd hate it if they tripped into a romantic relationship. I think they're good where they are now. I don't care either if they ever become couple or not. They're good for each other and inspire each other to live. I think that's what's important in a relationship, whether it's romantic or work relationship.

Putting that aside, I understand that Robin still want Matt. Strike himself stated somewhere that he was glad Matt existed and became that barrier between him and Robin. Matt doesn't understand, but at least now he tried to. I just hope that he didn't find her job somewhat offensive, like Charlotte did. (Terrible, terrible Charlotte.)

Sarina Katherine wrote: "While I notice the spark between Robin and Strike, I have to admit that I'd hate it if they tripped into a romantic relationship. I think they're good where they are now. I don't care either if the..."
Okay, I think I agree somewhat with you there... Though a question is arising in my mind, what if they gradually do? I mean fall for each other? They do inspire each other and are building a good friendship now, right?
As for me, I am unsure if I want them together or not...Coz a relationship has its good and bad sides....I believe a good friendship is what they really need first, in order to accomplish their purpose in life. You were right about their being good for each other, I guess.
Well, what's your take on Robin's back-story? When you found out (like we all did :D ) about (view spoiler) during the book?

Mariah I think there will definitely be a relationship that develops. We already see Robin and her relationship starting to deteriorate in this novel (even though at the end, it seems like they made up) but still.

message 26: by Graziele (last edited Feb 10, 2015 05:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Graziele My wish is to see Cormoran and Robin together in a relationship. They are very similar and loved each other but they have not realized yet.

Badlydone I really hope that they do not have a romantic relationship. I would love for them to be good friends and each have their separate romantic lives. It would be great to see real office friendship and not an office romance! But just seeing the progress of their relationship, I think JKR will have them go through many partners but eventually realize that they are best together. Not to my liking though :(

Julia I sure hope not. If I wanted to read another cliche'd story of a hero and heroine falling in love in a totally predictable manner, I'd pick up a romance novel.

Lately, I've read a few books that did not end with the hero and heroine falling in love. It's a nice relief to see friendships between men and women remain as friendships. I have many male friends and I feel such friendships are sorely undervalued and disrespected by our culture.

Louise Culmer i'd prefer that they just remain detectives. i think it's a bit of a tiresome cliche that if a man and a woman work together they must become lovers. matthew has been painted as a bit of prat, but he might improve, and Strike could fall for Nina perhaps who seems quite nice. or someone else.

Katherine I like how some people want Cormoran and Robin to be together as romantic couple while others prefer them to stay as business partner. It can be cliché, but with writer like JKR, who know?

We haven't yet get another (view spoiler), so I think I'd like to read more into what is going to happen.

About Cormoran and Nina... (view spoiler), I don't know yet. But it'll be interesting to read. (view spoiler)

Julia I loved that Ciara Porter bit. Consider some of the lengths that some men will go to just to meet a super model. Cormoran nails one without trying. I literally laughed out loud when I saw where that was going. And it seems to have been just what he needed while he was still hurting from Charlotte.

That's what I love about JKR's work: the way the pieces just come together for the little, embedded stories as well as the larger story arcs.

Sami777 Robin and I guess Strike are better as a team of detectives, but the truth is that my romantic side if you would like to see them as a couple.

message 33: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma I love them as partners, but I do what them to have like a drunken mistake of some description just because I'm attracted to Cormoran myself

Brittini Austin Blakelyn wrote: "Strike doesn't just admire Robin's looks. He admires her as a person, and respects her work. The latter cannot be said for her fiance. The end of the Silkworm had Strike kissing her hand to say goo..."

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Cannot keep reading this series because I so badly want them to be a "thing."

message 35: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat Ok I don't want to sound rude but seriously can all of you who wrotte that it's a cliche for the detective to be in a relationship with his partner mention a series of books that this is happening? I've read Agatha Cristie, Arthur Conan Doyle, Jo Nesbo, William Ryan, John Verdon, Nicci French (Frieda Klein series) Camilla Lackberg (policeman married to a writter that with her informations while writting a book helps him during his cases) and in The girl with the dragon tattoo the relationship isn't romantic it's sexual! I've read also Iris Johansen books with Eve Duncan but even there she isn't exactly Joe's co-worker so I'm gonna be honest and say that I do wish in some point to see Robin and Strike romantically involved for me at least would it be something different and interesting!

Gabriela Silkworm without a doubt pointed out how much of a bad match Matt is for Robin and hinted interest from Cormoran's side so the possibility of them getting romantically involved was certainly open. Personally, I feel indifferent in this case. I like how their relationship plays now, but if written well I think they would make an interesting couple as well.

Louise Culmer Kat wrote: "Ok I don't want to sound rude but seriously can all of you who wrotte that it's a cliche for the detective to be in a relationship with his partner mention a series of books that this is happening?..."

it occurs a lot in tv detective shows, as in Moonlighting, Sapphire and Steel, dempsey and makepeace, Castle, etc. I personally think it would make more of a change to have a man and woman working together and not falling in love.

Louise Culmer Kat wrote: "Ok I don't want to sound rude but seriously can all of you who wrotte that it's a cliche for the detective to be in a relationship with his partner mention a series of books that this is happening?..."

it happens a lot with tv detectives, as in Moonlighting, Remington Steele, Dempsey and makepeace, castle etc. i personally would like it if Strike and Robin could just work together without falling in love.

message 39: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat Louise wrote: "Kat wrote: "Ok I don't want to sound rude but seriously can all of you who wrotte that it's a cliche for the detective to be in a relationship with his partner mention a series of books that this i..."

You might not saw it but I basically asked for books that this is happening and not tv-series! Thank you though for your comment!

Maddie Kat wrote: "Louise wrote: "Kat wrote: "Ok I don't want to sound rude but seriously can all of you who wrotte that it's a cliche for the detective to be in a relationship with his partner mention a series of bo..."

It does happen a lot in tv but I can only think of one book series that it happens in and that is the Temperance Brennan Series and it takes a long time for that to actually happen. It would be interesting to have that romantic relationship in a book. But personally I like that there is an awkward sexual tension.

message 41: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat Maddie wrote: "Kat wrote: "Louise wrote: "Kat wrote: "Ok I don't want to sound rude but seriously can all of you who wrotte that it's a cliche for the detective to be in a relationship with his partner mention a ..."

Thank you for the information! I didn't know that the tv-serie Bones was based on a series of books, I'm very surprised to hear that! I searched for those books but sadly in my country are only two available! I like also the awkward sexual tension but I wouldn't mind if they develop a romantic relationship because I think the author will progress it very goood!

Louise Culmer Kat wrote: "Louise wrote: "Kat wrote: "Ok I don't want to sound rude but seriously can all of you who wrotte that it's a cliche for the detective to be in a relationship with his partner mention a series of bo..."

books or tv series, it's been overdone in my opinion. I'd like to see a man and a woman able to work together without falling in love.

message 43: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat Louise wrote: "Kat wrote: "Louise wrote: "Kat wrote: "Ok I don't want to sound rude but seriously can all of you who wrotte that it's a cliche for the detective to be in a relationship with his partner mention a ..."

You can always change the TV channel as for books you can choose others to read if you are not happy with them! And if it's so overdone in your opinion then mention series of books as a asked because as I said I hadn't the pleasure to read such books! Oh and I recomend Elementary they just work together!
I don't know any other tv-show to recommend because I don't watch many tv-shows! Have a nice day!

Louise Culmer Kat wrote: "Louise wrote: "Kat wrote: "Louise wrote: "Kat wrote: "Ok I don't want to sound rude but seriously can all of you who wrotte that it's a cliche for the detective to be in a relationship with his par..."

I merely happened to express a preference for there not being a romance between stark and Robin. i am entitled to my opinion just as you are to yours, and no need for snide remarks about changing the Tv channel. i don't really care that much what Stark and Robin do, I think they are both quite boring people actually. I think j.K. Rowling is a highly overrated writer.

message 45: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat I wasn't judging your opinion, I only recommended you change your tv or book choices so you can find something different more close to what you are looking for and for the same reasons I asked for a series of books in which there is romance between the working partners (in suspense books) because I haven't read such and wanted to do so! I haven't watched so many tv-shows and haven't read that kind of books so I found it strange that some people said it's a cliche!