Hoyt's Huns discussion

Swords and Deviltry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #1)
This topic is about Swords and Deviltry
Book Of the Month Discussion > Swords and Deviltry -- July 2018 -- spoilers allowed

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 2501 comments Mod
Free discussion of any element.

Randy | 63 comments I read some of the books way back in junior high, but i don't think this was one of them. So, the origins of the heroes are new to me.

I've finished the first two stories in the book, and am enjoying it so far. I thought it was interesting how each of the solo stories mentions the other character as if in passing. I'm hoping their brief meeting will get a little more detail in the final story in the book.

message 3: by Sheryl (last edited Aug 15, 2018 03:54PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sheryl Tribble | 83 comments I thought it was okay. Also thought certain elements were woefully telegraphed, even though I haven't read the other stories. In particular, none of the ladies came alive for me; they all felt like a collection of plot points and nothing more.

OTOH, I've heard this collection isn't as good as the others, and I thought the stories entertaining enough I'll probably read the rest.

And I hadn't realized he wrote them so long! From 1939 into the 1980s. I liked "The Unholy Grail" the best of these, which was also written the earliest (1962 -- "Snow Women" and "Ill Met" were both 1970).