Diversity in All Forms! discussion

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (Harold Fry, #1)
Monthly Group Reads > The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (July 2018)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariah Roze (new)

Mariah Roze (mariahroze) | 1429 comments Mod
Diversity topic in July is Ageism

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (Harold Fry, #1) by Rachel Joyce

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) To me, this was a deceptive read. At first, I was like, what a dull read. Then, I was WOW.

message 3: by Mariah Roze (new)

I'm on hold for this book! I look forward to the read :)

Gisela Hafezparast | 30 comments I read this a couple of years ago because it was a book read group. I really didn't want to read it, but it is one of those books I am really glad I did. It is such a gentle, understated book which really goes across big topics, the main being lost opportunities, lost love and lost happiness, but also making the best of what you got and being satisfied. It is a great read and had me in tears a couple of times. Hadn't expected that at all.

I can also recommend the follow on book The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy

Michelle Bramucci | 2 comments I just read this. It's a great book if you need a reminder to just love people.

Gisela Hafezparast | 30 comments Michelle wrote: "I just read this. It's a great book if you need a reminder to just love people."
Yes, reminds you that even those little people, who never make much of a fuss or get much noticed are some of the most important and lovable people.
Hope you read the Queenie book. Again it is both funny and heartbreaking, but you got to love Queenie.

message 7: by Mariah Roze (new)

This book just came in for me! I plan on starting it soon :)

message 8: by Mariah Roze (new)

Just started this!

message 9: by Joy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy (audioaddict1234) | 53 comments This was a fairly quick read for me although it felt slow. It was worth plodding through to the end. Along with aging it dealt with grief and loss, as well as relationship issues.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I liked the absence of saccharine and the light touch of plain normal human warmth and hope and reaching out.

Megan | 119 comments I’ve had this on hold and it just came in. Enjoying the slow pace and quiet moments of discovery.

Gisela Hafezparast | 30 comments Megan wrote: "I’ve had this on hold and it just came in. Enjoying the slow pace and quiet moments of discovery."

Yes that is part of it's and Harold's charm. Very gentle.

Megan | 119 comments There was a lot of melancholy in this book, it dealt perceptively with the grief of failing friends, the grief of failing to connect, the grief of losing a child, the grief of mediocrity. And then, there was the importance of self awareness, of taking a stand for something, the healing power of nature, kindness and forgiveness, the double edged sword of fame, the quiet joy of integrity and reconnection. It was a little gem.

Gisela Hafezparast | 30 comments Megan wrote: "There was a lot of melancholy in this book, it dealt perceptively with the grief of failing friends, the grief of failing to connect, the grief of losing a child, the grief of mediocrity. And then,..."
Totally agree. Very unassuming little story just like Harold.