Horror Aficionados discussion

A Gathering of Crows (Levi Stoltzfus, #3)
This topic is about A Gathering of Crows
Audio Group Listens > July 2018 Group Listen: A Gathering of Crows

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon Recluse (last edited Jul 01, 2018 12:42PM) (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Here's your discussion thread for this month's group listen. Have fun and no spoilers!

message 2: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11288 comments Mod
I’ll be listening but I don’t know when just yet.

message 3: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami | 210 comments Just started listening earlier today, but it has been a super busy day and I didn't get too far! Seems creepy so far though! Looking forward to getting farther along!

I have not read book 1 or 2 of the series though, so hopefully that will not matter while reading this one.

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I got a head start on this while driving on a long car trip, and am almost halfway through. Enjoying it so far, but then, I've liked most everything of his that I've read.

I read Dark Hollow (or The Rutting Season, as the limited edition was called) a long time ago, and I think basically the books all feature Levi, but are pretty much standalone stories. So while there may be passing references back to isolated events you haven't read, there's nothing you're truly missing by reading out of order. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding.

Melanie | 1656 comments Just started listening and realised it's book 3 of the series, will that matter?

Melanie | 1656 comments Three and a half hours in and a plethora of gruesome deaths...and it's 89 year old Jack who outwits the killers by (view spoiler)

Alan | 5549 comments Mod
Robert wrote: "I got a head start on this while driving on a long car trip, and am almost halfway through. Enjoying it so far, but then, I've liked most everything of his that I've read.

I read Dark Hollow (or T..."

You're pretty much correct that those books featuring Levi don't need to be read sequentially. The stories aren't reliant on each other, unlike, say, most of the John Connolly Charlie Parker books where you will miss significant elements if you don't read them in order.

message 8: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami | 210 comments What do y’all think of the narrator? I’m not sure if I like his performance. :/ he has a very loud, booming voice and he doesn’t pause much between sentences. Sometimes it feels like he kind of runs them together. I do like how Levi sounds though.

Melanie | 1656 comments Ami wrote: "What do y’all think of the narrator? I’m not sure if I like his performance. :/ he has a very loud, booming voice and he doesn’t pause much between sentences. Sometimes it feels like he kind of run..."

I agree Ami. I listen to a ton of audio books, and while the narration is good it's not great. I think he struggles with female voices, which mostly sound too childlike, and he loses Levi's accent sometimes. His speed works well for the action sequences though.

message 10: by Robert (last edited Jul 07, 2018 03:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Hmm, I also listen to a ton of audiobooks, and I love Chet Williamson's narration, though I agree with you that his female voices could use work. I think he does a really good job with expressing emotions.

His diction is flawless, and I really haven't noticed an issue with too-short pauses (and I even listen at increased speed).

One thing that bothers me about many narrators is their tendency to taper off in volume towards the end of a sentence - it is maddening, especially because I wear hearing aids, and while they help a lot, I still struggle with understanding. I haven't noticed that at all in this book.

I think different people want different things from narrators, and with my hearing challenges, clear pronunciation and fairly even volume are important to me.

message 11: by Greg (new)

Greg | 382 comments It appears Mr. Keene’s Novel Kill Whitey popped up on Audible today 👍

message 12: by Red (new) - rated it 3 stars

Red Lace Reviews (redlace) | 42 comments To be completely honest, I wasn't fond of Chet Williamson's narration when I first listened, but after reaching 25% of the novel, I now quite like him. He has a very powerful voice, and I suppose, for him, it's just difficult to incorporate femininity.

As for my thoughts on the story thus far... Well, I feel my interest weighed down by the info dumps, and there's a little too much repetition. Been told over and over that the town has no jobs, that it's dying, and the biography of each character does nothing to invest me (especially if they're just going to die).

Hopefully it picks up for me. I do want to read more about Levi himself.

message 13: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami | 210 comments Red wrote: "To be completely honest, I wasn't fond of Chet Williamson's narration when I first listened, but after reaching 25% of the novel, I now quite like him. He has a very powerful voice, and I suppose, ..."

I'm not sure what % I'm at, I think I've listened to 2 hours, give or take, so far.... but I do agree with you, that as the book goes on, the narration gets better. Still not loving him, but it is better.

I've noticed the repetition as well, but it didn't bother me too much, yet. They have moved more in to the everyone is getting killed stage so it doesn't matter too much about no jobs at the moment. XD

message 14: by Robert (last edited Jul 11, 2018 06:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I finished this one. While it was nice that it gave a solid look into Keene's overarching "mythos", and I do find Levi to be a very intriguing character, it wasn't one of his best books. Not to say it was bad, but there are a number of his books I have enjoyed more (e.g. Terminal and Ghoul).

Considering it wasn't overly long, it hopped around A LOT in the first half, introducing many characters (view spoiler). I spent a lot of time saying "who was that, again?" and not paying attention while the book went on, as audiobooks do. I get it, he wanted to paint a picture of what was happening, but IMO it went a little overboard.

Jamie Zaccaria | 161 comments I liked this book although I did feel it was a bit repetitive (view spoiler) and I thought some of the dialogue was cheesy and fell into the "show don't tell" trap. That being said, it did its job at making me horrified and presenting a hopeless predicament!

I could have done without the (view spoiler) since I tend to be soft-hearted for those things lol

Melanie | 1656 comments I'm finished. I liked the story although I found the combination of different mythologies quite frustrating, I prefer just one. I also didn't like the narration very much, but I won't let that stop me from reading more of his work.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 17: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami | 210 comments I finally finished it. The story grew on my the more the story moved along, the narrator did not. Everyone sounded too similar to other characters, except Levi and even Levi lost his accent some of the time.

Basically, I enjoyed the book, didn't like the narration.

I thought the jumble of mythologies was interesting, though I can totally see how it could be frustrating. It left a lot of questions with no real answers. But it left me wanting to know more about everything Levi talked about and the things he did.

I thought the over all story was entertaining, though, I too could have gone without all the (view spoiler) .

I gave the book a 4 out of 5, but the performance was a 2 out of 5.