Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

BUDDY READS: ARCHIVED > Shadowlands (Shadowlands #1) by Kate Brian → Start Date: August 21st, 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments Please join Vicki and I if you can!

message 2: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Awesome! I've wanted to read this for some time now! I'm so excited!

Thanks for making the thread. :)

message 3: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments I know me too! I've been dying to start this series!
Luckily, I think the third and last one just came out! LOL but I'll double check. it's nice when series are already done by the time we start them :D ha! (waiting for Luxe series is about to kill me!!!)

message 4: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Trisha wrote: "I know me too! I've been dying to start this series!
Luckily, I think the third and last one just came out! LOL but I'll double check. it's nice when series are already done by the time we start th..."

OMG, I know! I LOVE the cover for book 5 in the Lux series, too!

I first saw Shadowlands in the bookstore when I was reading Confessions of a Murder Suspect (Confessions, #1) by James Patterson last September. LOL

message 5: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Hey guys! Just now saw this thanks to Trisha!

I will order the book now and start a few days late. :D

message 6: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Aug 21, 2014 04:39PM) (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments Hey Vicki

are we okay to wait a few days until Jacquelyn has her copy???

I'm okay to wait :)

message 7: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Trisha wrote: "Hey Vicki

are we okay to wait a few days until Jacquelyn has her copy???

I'm okay to wait :)"

Of course! I was wondering because I thought I knew we already had a BR but I thought maybe she meant the entire series, and I want to read it all! LOL

message 8: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments me too!! :) Yay!

Okay, Jacquelyn, keep us posted on when you get your book and we'll wait for you!

message 9: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments LOL, yay!! :D

Thanks for waiting! I will let you know when I have my copy.

message 10: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments My copy is in transit so I will either be getting it tomorrow or Monday! :)

I now have 16 holds at the library because of buddy reads and new releases! Oh my!! How many do you guys usually have on hold or currently checked out?

message 11: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I've only had 2-4 books on hold at once and I have to pick them up within 10 days. What is frustrating to me is when my library doesn't have a book that I want it goes to the Link + system and orders from that (I do it online), but I can only check out 5 books from Link +. My own library system doesn't have many of the books I want. Like last night we were adding all these buddy reads and I couldn't order more than two because I already have 2 checked out and four or five ordered. Then it started saying request denied because of problems with my account at my own library, meaning I already ordered my limit.

I can have 25 books total between my library and Link + but I've never hit 25 yet. I think 22 was my max but I'd have a lot more if Link + were nicer. Lol Oh! And if I lose a Link + book the charge is $115!!! Lol

message 12: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments That really stinks!! :( I have to pick them up within a time limit as well.

$115?! That is so outrageous! Don't lose them!!! :D

message 13: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Haha! I protect those books more than my own life! Lol

message 14: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments Well...I currently have my max checked out, 72

AND I have about 50 on hold
because they've listed new releases and they list the sequels new releases first

*sigh* I wish I could always get through the all :)

message 15: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments OMG! They allow you to put 50 on hold? Lol Do you have to physically go down there to do that?

At the San Francisco library I can check out up to 100 but I never get down there so I deal with my own little library. You are lucky!!

message 16: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Woah! 72 books are currently out?? Where do you put them all?!

How do you carry them all out of the library? LOL

message 17: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments I have this HUGE bag....but I normally don't pick up more than 15 at a time...I think 19 is my biggest pick up

I can put however many books as I want on hold
but I can only check out up to 72. BUT I did have a librarian offer to give me a bigger check out total if I wanted it. At the time I didn't need it...but now...

I have a book shelf that has 3 shelves entirely dedicated just to library books
I have my buddy reads on one shelf, books I have for challenges on another and then one book shelf for things I want to read as well or want a buddy for :)

Okay, I'm starting to feel crazy. You guys don't have anything like this? for owned books or anything?
lol

message 18: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments Oh and on-line I have access to my entire counties books - which is about 10 or 12 libraries
and over 850,000 people - so there are A LOT of books for me to pick from. I normally don't have to wait long for a book (which is nice)

message 19: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Actually, I find that SUPER interesting! lol!

Where can you find such a bag?! I just picked up 6 books from the library. :) Just have to rant for a second, the librarians there are so judgmental! They judge you on what you are picking up or checking out. A guy who was in front of me today was getting out American Girl doll books. When he left, the librarian turned around to her other coworkers and said, "Why does he want those books?! Isn't he a dude?" Umm, maybe he find them interesting, maybe he has a daughter who likes them. It doesn't matter. At least he is reading! It really burns me up that they judge people on what they are reading!

I love the bookshelf idea! :D Sooo organized and it sounds great!

I just put all of my library books on top of my lower bookshelf. But with your organization system, it makes me want to do something like that!! ahha!

message 20: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Trisha wrote: "Oh and on-line I have access to my entire counties books - which is about 10 or 12 libraries
and over 850,000 people - so there are A LOT of books for me to pick from. I normally don't have to wait..."

That is great! :D I have over 25 libraries that I can order books from and there is a nice selection as well. :)

message 21: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Isn't 72 a weird limit? Wouldn't you think they would just make it an even 70 or 75? Do you know if they have a reason for that number?

message 22: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Aug 22, 2014 09:54AM) (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments Jacquelyn wrote: "Isn't 72 a weird limit? Wouldn't you think they would just make it an even 70 or 75? Do you know if they have a reason for that number?"

I know! isn't that random! LOL! I'll have to ask them sometime.

and your librarians being judgmental is awful and so unfair. Yeah, maybe he has a daughter he reads with
MAYBE he reads to kids at church or an older home or maybe he likes the history in them! UGH! So frustrating. I use the "self check out" so I don't know if my librarians would judge me for all my YA books!

Funny story about the bag! So Washington doesn't allow plastic bags anymore (at least they didn't...I assume they still don't) so when I went to a store and went to check out - they didn't have any bags for me to put my stuff in!! But they sold re-usable bags at the check out... So I had to buy a few huge bags in order to get my purchases out the store! My bags are crazy baby pink and baby blue - all covered in ice cream cones and crazy creatures all over it! My kids love it. I wish I could post a picture. They are fun! but you can get the re-usable bags from just about anywhere now. I just drop my "finished" books in there each day and then bring the bag, drop off and then pick up :) it's an easy system

message 23: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Okay, Trisha, now I AM super jealous!!! I can't believe that you can hold so many books at once! I have to find out what my max for holds actually is. I can't HOLD a book through the Link + system, so if a book isn't available I Just have to keep checking to see if it's been returned. Like On the Fence by Kasie West isn't in our library's system (we have 12 in our county), so when I tried Link + there were "no available books." I went to my own library and she looked and told me when the various books were due...one was late...so I just need to keep trying each day. Ugh...

About the book organization...AMAZING!!! I wouldn't ever have thought of that, Trisha! But I'm NOT organized by nature whatsoever. I have my library books in a box in my dining room area (thanks to Scott) and two or three on my living room coffee table, plus a couple on my tray by my love seat I always sit on. I'm going to have to TRY organizing something like that, but don't you read a lot on your Kindle too? I always forget about some of my challenges! For example, for the scavenger hunt (is that what it's called?) I had around 60 words from Panic, but I lost my paper where I had them written down. I also had EVERY other word from several other books except one...something like theme park or amusement part, but they were all on the same sheet of paper. So now I've gotten discouraged and it's due August 31. LOL

I am going to follow suit somewhat...I'll never be as organized as you, and I got to a point of being embarrassed for copying so many of your formats on various challenges, etc. I have tried SO hard to stay organized on GR but, for example, I have Vicki's Buddy Reads, but they keep changing. Kathy and I changed ours like crazy! Now I've held off on quite a few we were going to read together but she's been pretty much gone for some time and I don't know when she'll be back full swing. But some we had for BR we changed 2-3 times. LOL It's so much for me to keep up with because trust me, if I don't fix something NOW, I forget about it! I hate that about myself!

message 24: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Exactly! I hate how they are being judgmental! They also said it right in front of me. Who cares what he is reading?!

"Self check-out?!" I WISH we had that!!!! So lucky! :D

Oh, so cool! :D They sound like great bags! It seems you are so organized. :)

message 25: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Vicki wrote: "Okay, Trisha, now I AM super jealous!!! I can't believe that you can hold so many books at once! I have to find out what my max for holds actually is. I can't HOLD a book through the Link + system,..."

I know!! Trisha is really pushing me to organize more. :D

message 26: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Aug 22, 2014 10:24AM) (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments hahah!!I think I still sound crazy next to you guys!

I rarely read on my kindle. Only when i have to - I almost get all of my books from the library as physical books

Wow Vicki. I can't believe you can't put books on hold. I just say "i want this book" and click a button and get in line. Then, when it's returned and ready for me to check out, they put it on a shelf for me and then send me an email so I know I have a book waiting for me. I would be totally lost if I had to check each day and just wait for a book! UGH!

For keeping track of challenges or scavenger hunt words, I did a few things
in my challenges thread, every time I started a new book, I search for words
then i put those words, page number, sentence, etc all in my "challenges" thread. Then, once I'm done, I just copy and paste into the scavenger hunt thread - that way I search, mark and then don't have to think about it until I'd done withe book :)

and no worries about copying my formats for threads! If it helps, use it!!! :)

message 27: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments YES, keeping track of buddy reads is near impossible. I've been missing adding more and more on my thread! one day I'll figure out a system!! ;P

message 28: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments LOL! If that's considered crazy, I want to be crazy. :)

I also just click a button and then they send me an email AND call my house so I can't miss it. LOL.

message 29: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I think I am going to start using my bottom shelf as my library books shelf! :D

message 30: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (last edited Aug 22, 2014 10:26AM) (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Trisha wrote: "YES, keeping track of buddy reads is near impossible. I've been missing adding more and more on my thread! one day I'll figure out a system!! ;P"

If anyone can, it will be you!!

message 31: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Trisha, do you have any ways that you use to make SURE you get the books back on time?

message 32: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments Hmmm...that's a tough one. i wish I did but it seems to change each week.... :(

message 33: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Trisha wrote: "Hmmm...that's a tough one. i wish I did but it seems to change each week.... :("

Is this for buddy read organizations or due dates?

message 34: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I can click "hold" for any book in our system, but not if I have to go through Link + but nothing I can do. It's just frustrating when everyone gets there book, buddy read, finish, and then FINALLY I get mine. Lol

Jacque, that judgmental librarian is awful! Most book lovers get it: we're all different and like different genres, etc. As you said already, he could've checked out those books for a multitude of reasons! It's absurd to assume!

I also do self check unless it's a Link + and for those books I have to go to the counter. For holds they put those on a shelf and call me, so that is pretty much the same.

We need the perfect universal library system! Lol

message 35: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I bet, Vicki! It seems super frustrating! We will always be here though. :)

Exactly! It really got me mad. She has gotten on my nerves a few times in the past as well, she is not very nice and she always looks at me like I am putting her out because I come in to pick up my books. Oh, you should see her face when I have more than one book! UGH! :(

I wish wish wish we had a self check! What is it like? A little thing and you scan the barcodes??

YES!

message 36: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Yes, just like that. I scan my library card and the book(s) and print a receipt with due dates.

message 37: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Wow, that seems great! I wish we had one!

message 38: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments are we ready to start this one today???

message 39: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Yes! :D I just picked up my copy!!

message 40: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I'm ready! I have my book set right next to me! I JUST got home from work and need to unwind first. Lol

message 41: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments LOL. No worries! :D I just finished my current read so I am now deciding whether to pick this one up or Glitch (Glitch, #1) by Heather Anastasiu Hmm..

message 42: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Lol pick a # between 1 & 10 and I'll tell you which to read! Lol

message 43: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments LOL 6.

message 44: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Ok 1-5 is Glitch and 6-10 is Shadowlands. Lol

message 45: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Okay! Shadowlands it is! :D LOL Thank you!!

message 46: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Haha! No problem! :)

message 47: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Did you start this one?

Read after you've read "Number Fifteen" chapter. I want to know what you thought of the part where (view spoiler)

message 48: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I have, Vicki!

We are at the exact same spot. :)

OMG (view spoiler)

I am loving what I have read so far of this one and can't wait to read more! I think this is going to be a great series. :D

message 49: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments okay, I'm....UGH There are no chapter numbers
I hate that...

so I'm about 80 pages in on the Hardcover edition
I stopped at Familiar Feeling

Okay, so this is clearly another case of me LOVING the cover of this book, dying to read the series - but never actually reading the synopsis.
the first 80 pages of this book have been good but have been OMG crazy. and I mean WOAH! I can't WAIT to see what you guys think!

Mr. Nell (view spoiler)

Dad and Darcy (view spoiler)

Juniper landing (view spoiler)

nightmares (view spoiler)

this one starts off with REALLY high suspense.

message 50: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I know! I hate no chapter numbers!

Are you liking it so far? :D

I am only about 25 pages in but hope to read some more before bed tonight and tomorrow when I wake up!!

« previous 1 3