Horror Aficionados discussion

Chills (Kathy Ryan, #1)
This topic is about Chills
Group Reads > July 2018 Mary SanGiovanni Group Read: Chills

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Here's your discussion thread for Mary SanGiovanni's group read. Have fun, and no spoilers!

Lena | 2492 comments Currently listening to the audiobook! Cults, serial killers, and devil snow!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6436 comments Mod
I have an "alternative version" of this one: The Blue People (Thunderstorm). Definitely up for a re-read!

Mike (justwords) | 38 comments Just bought the Kindle version. Will finish Head Full of Ghosts, then start it. Hopefully by week's end.

Melanie | 1656 comments Mike wrote: "Just bought the Kindle version. Will finish Head Full of Ghosts, then start it. Hopefully by week's end."

I just read A Head Full of Ghosts, would love to know what you think of it when you're done.

I can't decide whether to start this or the Brian Keene one first, got to finish Nevill's Banquet for the Damned too...

message 6: by M.E. (new) - added it

M.E. | 409 comments I started with Darkness on the Edge of Town, but will be reading Chills a little later this month.

M.E. wrote: "I started with Darkness on the Edge of Town, but will be reading Chills a little later this month."

Just ordered "Darkness", and another title. Hoping to start with that one this weekend. :)

message 9: by Ami (new) - added it

Ami | 210 comments Just ordered this. Says I will be getting it around the 9th. That will give me time to finish up The Haunting of Maddy Clare. Looking forward to reading this!

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I am liking Chills so far, but occasionally the writing is a little clumsy.

Anyway. Cool story.

L. Smashing (l_smashing) | 80 comments aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "I am liking Chills so far, but occasionally the writing is a little clumsy.

Anyway. Cool story."

I second the clumsy. I'm only 3 chapters in and I'm struggling to stay interested. :/

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I can’t finish this. The writing is awful. At first, I was thinking clumsy, now I am thinking amateurish. It is like reading a bad technical manual.

L. Smashing (l_smashing) | 80 comments I just want to know what's up with the selection of female names...

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Lance (new)

Lance Dale | 69 comments I just can't get into this one. I'm throwing in the towel.

message 15: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena | 2492 comments I think it was more enjoyable as an audiobook. It had SyFy Channel movie of the week vibe.

L. Smashing (l_smashing) | 80 comments Lena wrote: "I think it was more enjoyable as an audiobook. It had SyFy Channel movie of the week vibe."

absolutely. And the fact that of course there's an expert at the local college in this very specific field.

Plus, all the names are so similar. I'm only half way through and we've got Kathy, Katie, Carly, Charlene, Sherry, Jack, Jack Jr, Morris, Moreno, Murphy, Julianne, Jillian, and Jessica. Oh yeah, and Toby.

message 17: by Mike (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike (justwords) | 38 comments Around page 60. Man, these townspeople are getting messed up.

Melanie | 1656 comments Lena wrote: "Chills is on sale today!
https://www.amazon.com/Chills-Mary-Sa..."

Bum. I just bought it about 2 days ago.

message 20: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena | 2492 comments I hate it when that happens.

Melanie | 1656 comments Up to chapter 6 and I'm really enjoying it so far, but then I'm a bit of a shoe-in for this type of story.

message 22: by Mike (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike (justwords) | 38 comments Finished this yesterday. I was afraid it was going to just be a lot of Kathy's brooding about her dark past, but once it opened up to more perspectives and the carnage started, I had fun with it.

Melanie wrote: "Up to chapter 6 and I'm really enjoying it so far, but then I'm a bit of a shoe-in for this type of story."

I think the atmosphere on this one really won me over--you could practically feel it with her descriptions!

Melanie | 1656 comments Finished! I quite liked it.

My review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Leslie | 7 comments This is such a fun read! I’m midway and the ice cold setting is perfect for the hot summer days.