Horror Aficionados discussion

Darkness on the Edge of Town
This topic is about Darkness on the Edge of Town
Group Reads > July 2018 Brian Keene Group Read: Darkness on the Edge of Town

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jon Recluse (new) - added it

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Here's your discussion thread for this month's group read. Have fun, and no spoilers!

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim | 147 comments I purchased it today. Been reading on and off all day. So far It's pretty creepy! 😊

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6452 comments Mod
I just ordered a physical copy--hoping to start next week(end)!

message 4: by Tiffany (new) - added it

Tiffany King (tifking73) | 81 comments I’m in; I just bought the kindle edition.

Jennifer | 405 comments I'm in. I've had a falling out with Amazon so I've ordered it from elsewhere. Hopefully it should arrive later in the week so I can get started.

message 6: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11288 comments Mod
I’ll be thinking of the doors the whole time I’m reading this. That’s not a bad thing, though.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Bought the Kindle edition today and started it. Two chapters in.

message 8: by Ami (last edited Jul 02, 2018 04:56PM) (new) - added it

Ami | 210 comments I already had this book in my TBR pile! Looking forward to reading it. Sounds pretty interesting!

message 9: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim | 147 comments I really like these characters. I can see myself hanging out with them! LOL

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 989 comments I'm at the 25% mark (about to start Chapter 8) and am really curious about Dez. While this book is, as far as I know, a stand-alone, I'm getting some serious mythos vibes. Maybe those who've read more Keene can speak on this and how Darkness on the Edge of Town may (or may not!) tie into Keene's larger body of work.

(view spoiler)

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 989 comments Michael wrote: "I'm at the 25% mark (about to start Chapter 8) and am really curious about Dez. While this book is, as far as I know, a stand-alone, I'm getting some serious mythos vibes. Maybe those who've read m..."

So, may (im)patience was rewarded! I just finished reading Darkness and it most definitely ties into Keene's larger body of work while also being a heck of a stand-alone. I dug this story quite a lot. How's everyone else doing with it so far?

Michael wrote: "Michael wrote: "I'm at the 25% mark (about to start Chapter 8) and am really curious about Dez. While this book is, as far as I know, a stand-alone, I'm getting some serious mythos vibes. Maybe tho..."

STILL waiting for mine to arrive....GRRR!

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 989 comments Kimberly wrote: "Michael wrote: "Michael wrote: "I'm at the 25% mark (about to start Chapter 8) and am really curious about Dez. While this book is, as far as I know, a stand-alone, I'm getting some serious mythos ..."

GAH! Where'd you order it from?

Amazon--it wasn't with Prime, though....

Michael Hicks (michaelpatrickhicks) | 989 comments Kimberly wrote: "Amazon--it wasn't with Prime, though...."

Awww, bummer. Hopefully it arrives soon!

message 16: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim | 147 comments Im at 41% mark. The shopping scene was awesome. I wanted to yell "just give him the batteries!" Im loving this book!

Peter | 110 comments Hi there, I followed your example and also started reading Darkness on the Edge of Town. I have already read 5%. My first thought at the very beginning of this novel was that reminds me a bit on Stephen King's Under the Dome. I'm very keen how Darkness evolves...

Marie Helene | 716 comments Bought the Kindle edition today. I will join soon.

Peter | 110 comments Another book that came to my mind was The Breeze Horror by Candace Caponegro I've read a couple of months ago. It has a similar feel while reading...

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 926 comments I just ordered a copy! With Amazon Prime so I *should* have it in a couple days :)

Jennifer | 405 comments My copy has arrived! I started it last night. I wasn't so keen on the religious bit at the beginning but I soon got over it and moved into the next chapter.

Very early doors so I can't say whether I like it or not yet. I love the idea of it though. Like Under the Dome, but scarier.

Peter | 110 comments Jennifer wrote: "My copy has arrived! I started it last night. I wasn't so keen on the religious bit at the beginning but I soon got over it and moved into the next chapter.

Very early doors so I can't say whethe..."

I constantly have to think about the Bruce Springsteen album from 1978 Darkness on the Edge of Town when reading Keene's novel. Agree with you that it's scarier than Under the Dome. I'm now at 40% but still pondering if this is a great book or not. The characters like Robbie or Russ are a bit simple. I don't like them smoking weed for several occassions... I'm curious what the darkness actually is...

Peter | 110 comments The story is a bit long winded. We already know that something is lurking in the dark. You also don't really feel for the set of characters. There aren't any new aspects. I'm now at almost 70%. Keene mentions 'The Mist' by Stephen King (I can highly recommend reading it) and indicates what happened to the people in that story... I shall continue and am very curious about the last 30%.

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 926 comments My copy just came in. I also got Pressure. I'll start this once I finish with my current read :)

Peter | 110 comments I have finished Darkness yesterday evening. From 70% on it took off and was extremely exciting. You will find references to Lovecraft! Furthermore you'll see that man always is a wolf to other man in this american smalltown. More I won't tell you because I don't want to spoil your reading pleasure.

I read the first half in one sitting. The darkness reminds me of UNDER THE DOME at first, but I'm liking the characters much more so, here.

Peter | 110 comments Kimberly wrote: "I read the first half in one sitting. The darkness reminds me of UNDER THE DOME at first, but I'm liking the characters much more so, here."

Hi Kimberley, you're absolutely right. 'Under the Dome' or 'The Mist' were also constantly on my mind. But the characters are a bit tedious. Robbie, Russ, Cranston or Christy they are so schematical and flat. I couldn't empathize with them. Dez is interesting though...and I really liked the Lovecraft part with the description of the darkness. That was great!

Peter wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I read the first half in one sitting. The darkness reminds me of UNDER THE DOME at first, but I'm liking the characters much more so, here."

Hi Kimberley, you're absolutely right...."

I have to admit that Dez is my personal favorite. ;)

message 29: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim | 147 comments I really like Dez too. There is something very fishy going on with him.🤔

Peter | 110 comments Dez is a bit eerie, almost a kind of prophet nobody heeds until the darkness comes. I also liked the book box in his den. He really is special, a chosen one. Is he crazy? He's different, because he knows what's behind the darkness...

Finished today. Loved (view spoiler)

L. Smashing (l_smashing) | 80 comments I really liked Dez, but I wish I knew more about him. Like, I want a Dez-centric prequel. I would read that in a heartbeat.

laurasmash wrote: "I really liked Dez, but I wish I knew more about him. Like, I want a Dez-centric prequel. I would read that in a heartbeat."

That's a GREAT idea!

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 926 comments I loved it! I read it all in one day, I couldn't stop. I need sleep now but I have finished, and Brian Keene has a new fan.

Jennifer | 405 comments Ooh, I'm really not liking the characters. Well, I don’t not like then they're just a bit flat and boring. It has taken me quite a while just to get through the first 40 pages.

But now it's getting there. It's concentrating more on what's going on rather than the dullards. They've just gone to have a look at the edge of town and it's pretty interesting.

Chapter 3 really made me laugh. I don't think it was the intention of the author but Robbie was saying how the town wasn't like the towns we read in books. You know those stories you really liked, possibly loved? Summer of Night, Boys Life, IT etc... well this story is nothing like that. Implies that this story is a bit crap, haha

Well, on to Chapter 7, lets see if we find out a bit more about this darkness!

Peter | 110 comments Jennifer wrote: "Ooh, I'm really not liking the characters. Well, I don’t not like then they're just a bit flat and boring. It has taken me quite a while just to get through the first 40 pages.

But now it's getti..."
Hi Jennifer, I was also more interested in what's going on than in, as you say, the dullards. Seldom read about such a boring set of characters. But the author has such a terrifying story to tell of an isolated small town in complete darkness. Imagine what you as a reader would do in complete darkness. It's more a social novel than a horror novel.

message 37: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim | 147 comments Im a slow reader, I hate putting my book down because I have to go to work. Anyway, Im now at 77% and I agree with Michael this book does tie in with Keene's other books I've read. I love it when an author does that!

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 926 comments Now that i'm awake...I loved how it built up the creepy atmosphere over time. I was hooked from the beginning but found it got better the more I read. It also ended up making me think about the state of the world. Maybe I think too much into things but I do love when a story can make me think like that, and while rather bleak and creepy I did find it had a note of hope and found the ending rather fitting.

I wish I could better articulate how I felt about it, but I did love it. It was my first Brian Keene novel but it won't be my last and i'm really glad I also picked up Pressure.

Marie Helene | 716 comments 'We were all out of hot coffee' (ouch, it hurts!)
Just finished ch. 3

Joseph VanBuren I just finished it and really enjoyed it. I love how the story progresses from small-town horror to something much bigger and deeper. While I agree with others that have posted about the characters being a bit stock (and the blatant similarities with The Mist), it didn't take much away from my enjoyment. The tie-ins with the greater mythos were a nice touch as well. This is the second Brian Keene novel I've read in which he doesn't exactly wrap everything up neatly at the end, and I like that. I know some people want a conclusion with closure, but I prefer thought-provoking ambiguity.

L. Smashing (l_smashing) | 80 comments Jennifer wrote: "Ooh, I'm really not liking the characters. Well, I don’t not like then they're just a bit flat and boring. "

I really didn't like Christy. TBH, I felt that both all the female characters we came across were written pretty terribly. Or at least, were really awful characters.

I haven't read any of his other books, but I wonder if Brian Keene is just bad at female characters.

Gianfranco Mancini | 550 comments Reading and loving it. It's like a creepy The Dome meets The Mist with a lovecraftian touch. A real page turner.

Peter | 110 comments Gianfranco wrote: "Reading and loving it. It's like a creepy The Dome meets The Mist with a lovecraftian touch. A real page turner." Hi Gianfranco, that's a great summing up! To me The Mist or Under the Dome were a bit tighter with more suspense. Darkness on the Edge was my first book from Brian Keene. I really like his references to all the horror classics and the Bruce Springsteen album!

Gianfranco Mancini | 550 comments Peter wrote: "Gianfranco wrote: "Reading and loving it. It's like a creepy The Dome meets The Mist with a lovecraftian touch. A real page turner." Hi Gianfranco, that's a great summing up! To me The Mist or Unde..."

Hi Peter. This is my second book from mr Keene. First one was The Conqueror Worms, a 5 stars for me. I've read a short tale from him in the Giallo Fantastique anthology last year, sadly the main character, serial killer"Exit", seems being a recurring character in Brian Keene's works and this was an "origin story" sequel to other ones so I just couldn't fully appreciate all the references to his "Labyrinth Mythos"... Something I really have to fix for good sooner or later :)

Peter | 110 comments Gianfranco wrote: "Peter wrote: "Gianfranco wrote: "Reading and loving it. It's like a creepy The Dome meets The Mist with a lovecraftian touch. A real page turner." Hi Gianfranco, that's a great summing up! To me Th..." Hi Gianfranco, this is very interesting. I already have Ghouls on my list to read. But at the moment I'm stuck with B.W. Battin's The Boogeyman. This is 80s stuff at its best. Reading a horror novel from the 80s is like drinking a good old wine... maybe I'm a bit nostalgic as I was a youth in the 80s. I have to read more of Keene.

Gianfranco Mancini | 550 comments Peter wrote: "Gianfranco wrote: "Peter wrote: "Gianfranco wrote: "Reading and loving it. It's like a creepy The Dome meets The Mist with a lovecraftian touch. A real page turner." Hi Gianfranco, that's a great s..."

So true! 80s horror books and movies are a real blast.

Jennifer | 405 comments All finished. I thought it was a good read in the end.

I didn't really like the characters and I think it was the plot that kept me interested. I have a feeling that Keene is going to be an author I love and hate. If the plot interests me (like this one did as I voted for it) then I'll enjoy it. But if it's something like zombies or generic ghost stories then I think I'll probably DNF them

Peter | 110 comments Jennifer wrote: "All finished. I thought it was a good read in the end.

I didn't really like the characters and I think it was the plot that kept me interested. I have a feeling that Keene is going to be an author..."
Hi Jennifer, yes it was the plot the kept me interested too. I didn't like the characters except for Dez. The reference to King and Lovecraft was fine. I definitely will read another book from this author to see if Darkness is a typical Keene novel or not.

message 49: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim | 147 comments I finished it. I loved it! I was a little disappointed in the ending though. I don't like to "guess". But other than that, a really great story.

Peter | 110 comments Kimberly wrote: "I finished it. I loved it! I was a little disappointed in the ending though. I don't like to "guess". But other than that, a really great story."Well, this could happen to everyone situation is great and the story too. Basically this is Dez story and his way to stop the darkness. The diary character or message in a bottle presentation is quite interesting but I also like to have a clear ending. Maybe the author comes up with a follow-up, e.g. the story of his cast under the earth... let's see!

« previous 1