Historical Fictionistas discussion

Wide Sargasso Sea
This topic is about Wide Sargasso Sea
Group Read Discussions > July 2018-- Wide Sargasso Sea *NO SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (last edited Jul 01, 2018 09:24AM) (new)

Jasmine | 1223 comments Mod
The book picked by our group to read for July 2018 was Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. This is the NO SPOILER thread. Happy Reading!

Wide Sargasso Sea, a masterpiece of modern fiction, was Jean Rhys’s return to the literary center stage. She had a startling early career and was known for her extraordinary prose and haunting women characters. With Wide Sargasso Sea, her last and best-selling novel, she ingeniously brings into light one of fiction’s most fascinating characters: the madwoman in the attic from Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre. This mesmerizing work introduces us to Antoinette Cosway, a sensual and protected young woman who is sold into marriage to the prideful Mr. Rochester. Rhys portrays Cosway amidst a society so driven by hatred, so skewed in its sexual relations, that it can literally drive a woman out of her mind.

A new introduction by the award-winning Edwidge Danticat, author most recently of Claire of the Sea Light, expresses the enduring importance of this work. Drawing on her own Caribbean background, she illuminates the setting’s impact on Rhys and her astonishing work.

Gabrielle Dubois (gabrielle-dubois) | 112 comments I started the book this afternoon, so far, I like it. I didn't know anything about the author and this story before starting it, just as I like!
I would just add something which is not a spoiler, but which is mentionedi quite late in the book, and it bothered me: the era of the story: Antoinette was born in 1839. I would have liked to know it in the first pages, so I thought maybe another reader would be happy to know about it too...

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Actually, the book - as I recall - isn't set exactly right when you think of when Jane Eyre occurred. I can't remember the details, though.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) From a website I found:

"While the novel never gives us the exact year, we know that the novel is set in Jamaica at some point after 1834. (By the end of Part I, Antoinette mentions that she enters the convent in 1839 [I.2.4.1].) While in Jane Eyre the events take place in the 1800s, Rhys moves the events up thirty years during a time of social and political upheaval in Jamaica, which is at the time a British colony."

https://www.shmoop.com/wide-sargasso-...

Connie (connier) | 52 comments I started this last night and read the first part. It is hard reading at first, but I think I have finally adapted to the writing style. I am going to read one part a day hopefully. It isn't a book that I can't put down unfortunately.

Holly (hollymlyon) | 19 comments I feel that the second part of the book told from Mr. Rochester's point of view is a little choppy and disjointed. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to some parts of the story so far. I keep wondering why this or that event is important or maybe I am just analyzing everything too much.

Jamie Zaccaria | 2 comments I'm finished Part 1 and quite intrigued. I don't know anything about this time/location in history and would like to learn more. Does anyone have links or recommendations to any good resources on Caribbean political/social environment post-British slavery?