Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Don Quixote
This topic is about Don Quixote
Archive Hefty/Husky > 2018 Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (July to September)

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new) - added it

Lesle | 6285 comments Mod
Don Quixote The story follows the adventures of a noble (hidalgo) named Alonso Quixano who reads so many chivalric romances that he loses his sanity and decides to set out to revive chivalry, undo wrongs, and bring justice to the world, under the name Don Quixote de la Mancha. He recruits a simple farmer, Sancho Panza, as his squire, who often employs a unique, earthy wit in dealing with Don Quixote's rhetorical orations on antiquated knighthood. Don Quixote, in the first part of the book, does not see the world for what it is and prefers to imagine that he is living out a knightly story. 1023 pages

message 2: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (new) - rated it 5 stars

Patrick | 655 comments Mod
I absolutely LOVE this book. When he attacks the windmills I laughed so hard. This is a very enjoyable story. It just might qualify for one of the challenges under the "humor" bracket. That's Lesle's call I believe.

message 3: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosemarie | 8931 comments Mod
This book is not as intimidating as it appears, since it is a series of adventures. My favourite character is the faithful Sancho Panza. And it is a funny book!

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben Rauscher Hello! I’ll be honest, I’m still trying to decide on this. Have always seen it in the top several of “best classics” lists but I’m not very familiar. For at least part of the time I’d be listening to the audio book (read by McMillan, translated by Ormsby). I’ve read a bit and it sounds interesting!

message 5: by Samantha, Cajun Literary Belle (new) - added it

Samantha Matherne (cajunliterarybelle) | 2478 comments Mod
I remember watching part of a movie adaptation in my Spanish III class in high school. The attack of the windmill is forefront in my mind.

I need to check if I have this as an ebook on my kindle from a flash drive, where I have stored hundreds of ebooks an art professor gave me years ago. If not, I’ll probably get an ebook edition for cheap or free. Debating if I can fit it into my challenges, as I’m already reading classics that don’t fit - the second and third parts of LOTR.

message 6: by Ben (new)

Ben Rauscher Nice, I’m also going through LOTR- Two Towers is next.

message 7: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new) - added it

If I remember right Ben there is a good amount of humor in this Classic.

We give the Hefty's 3 months, if you like you can read others at the same time.

message 8: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new) - added it

Reading schedule? 1023 pages wow!

Works out to be about 12 pages a day or about 80 pages a week.

Not bad!

Tell us about the edition you have! and your daily or weekly goal!

message 9: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Smith | 2177 comments 1023 pages? That's mega Hefty! It is an amazing book, which has deserved to remain popular.

Inkspill (runinkspill) I've been meaning to read this for years and hesitated, but now that I have I feel foolish, Rosemarie is right this is not as intimidating as it seems. I'm only up to chapter 3, this is such a surprise!!!!

the scene at the inn - I didn't know whether I should laugh or feel sorry for the guy

but maybe the jokes on me for taking too long to read this

brilliant!!!!

message 11: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

Inkspill, you will feel that way about Don Quixote throughout the book.

message 12: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (new) - rated it 5 stars

Patrick | 655 comments Mod
I have the Barnes and Noble edition which is the Tobias Smollett translation. I'll probably start this in a month or so. I love this story.

Inkspill (runinkspill) this is a literary joke, right?

This story is like a warning why you should not read - but you have to read it to know it

oh and chapter 6 - to help DQ, they go through which books to burn - and one of them is written by Cervantes

I always thought this was a v serious dry tome that would be a struggle to read

my fav parts so far is the banter between DQ and Sancho, and Sancho what faith he has in DQ - I'm not sure how loyal most would be if they saw their employer charging at windmills saying they are giants - a scene I thought made funnier by Sancho’s pragmatism

message 14: by Emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma Ruppell | 30 comments Now that there's this discussion maybe I'll tackle the 2nd half of the book this summer! I hit the wall with it but in pieces it may go. I really do appreciate the level of inclusion of details that make all the jokes/spoofing/complete. It's a pretty merciless roast though funny he took it to such extremes, for a literary genre! I guess also all that was emodied in that genre. I had just read Spencer Faerie Queen book 1 (Fierce wars & faithful loves translation) before hand, & have read parts of Tirant Lo Blanc so had a good sense of what he's gonig on about.

message 15: by Emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma Ruppell | 30 comments oh and chapter 6 - to help DQ, they go through which books to burn - and ..."

the dialog in the book burning scene did make me laugh

message 16: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have read The Faerie Queen and The Canterbury Tales. Don Quixote is more like the Tales than the Faerie Queen, and more entertaining than both.

message 17: by Inkspill (last edited Jul 20, 2018 12:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Inkspill (runinkspill) Emma wrote: "I had just read Spencer Faerie Queen book 1 (Fierce wars & faithful loves translation) before hand, & have read parts of Tirant Lo Blanc so had a good sense of what he's gonig on about."

I've not read any of these books and like those I've been meaning to read this one for years - and was sure I would stumble over the first few pages of DQ - so it completely took me off my guard that it's this funny.

I'm almost at the end of the first half of the book, chapters 47, could be 48, is a discussion that criticises stories of chivalry - brilliant, v funny

Inkspill (runinkspill) Samantha wrote: "I remember watching part of a movie adaptation in my Spanish III class in high school. The attack of the windmill is forefront in my mind.

I need to check if I have this as an ebook on my kindle ..."

I wonder if I saw this listed on Amazon Prime the other day - been meaning to go back and check, and if it is I'll try and watch it after I've finished reading this.

I'm reading The Hobbit right now, I was going to follow this with The Lord of the Rings but I'm now thinking The Silmarillion and then LOTR, well that's the plan

message 19: by Susan (last edited Jul 20, 2018 01:18PM) (new) - added it

Susan | 18 comments This book is such a lot of fun to read. The first time I read it was in an English class, The Comic Spirit, and it was the funniest book of the semester. I've re-read it for pleasure a couple of times since then. It's such a great send up of readers and nonreaders.

Inkspill (runinkspill) Susan wrote: "This book is such a lot of fun to read. The first time I read it was in an English class, The Comic Spirit, and it was the funniest book of the semester. I've re-read it for pleasure a couple of ti..."

Yes, that's exactly what it is. And I'm enjoying this book so much that I have finished the first part.

I understand Cervantes wrote the second part (might have remembered it wrong) 15 years later. I can't wait to see how the story moves forward

message 21: by Inkspill (last edited Jul 27, 2018 01:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Inkspill (runinkspill) I can't believe I'm 200 pages away from finishing

the lengths others go to to play tricks on the duo - and they don't even realise

message 22: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire  | 241 comments How is everyone doing with this book?

message 23: by Inkspill (last edited Aug 08, 2018 03:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Inkspill (runinkspill) I've finished - I enjoyed it and feel silly that I took too long to read it.

How are you getting on with this one?

added
Claire - just noticed you're a moderator - so maybe you have not read this book :)

I'm glad it came up here - it got me to finally read it - yeyyyy

message 24: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire  | 241 comments Inkspill wrote: "I've finished - I enjoyed it and feel silly that I took too long to read it.

How are you getting on with this one?

added

Claire - just noticed you're a moderator - so maybe you have not read ..."

Hi Inkspill, I read it when I was young, but going back to it. I remember I loved it. Glad you enjoy it so much.
i think it is one of the novels With a lasting influence on culture..

Inkspill (runinkspill) I've never thought of it like that, and realised the other day that maybe Gilliam's 'Lost in LA Mancha' (I think) is a play on this, but it's a wild guess

message 26: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire  | 241 comments Inkspill wrote: "I've never thought of it like that, and realised the other day that maybe Gilliam's 'Lost in LA Mancha' (I think) is a play on this, but it's a wild guess"

It definitively is! here is an interesting article on the importance of Don Quichotte.
https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/stor...

Inkspill (runinkspill) Claire wrote: "Inkspill wrote: "I've never thought of it like that, and realised the other day that maybe Gilliam's 'Lost in LA Mancha' (I think) is a play on this, but it's a wild guess"

It definitively is! her..."

So the movie, well documentary, is connected - I didn't put it together when watching it at the time

Brill article BTW - I had no idea, especially
"“Don Quixote” is the second-most-translated book after the Bible, and, according to a recent survey of 100 novelists, the best book of all time."

What I enjoyed the most is the parody of its own form, especially for its playfulness on books and readers

Thanks for article link

Doreen Petersen I'm hoping to get to this one soon.

message 29: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire  | 241 comments Doreen wrote: "I'm hoping to get to this one soon."

Enjoy it!

message 30: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 882 comments I'm going to see the play (musical) tonight.

message 31: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire  | 241 comments Blueberry wrote: "I'm going to see the play (musical) tonight."

Oh, tell us all about it! I’m a bit envious now.

message 32: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

Have a good time, Blueberry!

message 33: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 882 comments I enjoyed it thoroughly. It was told as a story within a story. It begins in a dungeon where Miguel Cervantes and his servant have been thrown for crimes against the church (the Inquisition). The sets, costumes, and singing were all great.
We have an excellent theatre group that does about 6 musicals a year as well many other theater groups in the surrounding county. I judge local productions for an annual theater awards gala so I get two free tickets when I attend a show.

message 34: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire  | 241 comments Blueberry wrote: "I enjoyed it thoroughly. It was told as a story within a story. It begins in a dungeon where Miguel Cervantes and his servant have been thrown for crimes against the church (the Inquisition). The s..."

Cool! So it was the musical you saw? Glad you enjoyed it so much.