Brilliant Books You've Never Heard Of discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations > September 2018 Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) ***Please Read all Guidelines Before Nominating***

1. All nominations must meet the following criteria:
-Published in or after 1960, but at least 6 months old
-No more than 5,000 Goodreads ratings
-No self-promotion

2. Each member may nominate ONE book per month

3. Each member may also second ONE book per month
If someone else nominates a book that you are interested in, simply post that you would like to SECOND that book to give it another nomination vote.

4. We will vote on the five books that have the most seconds for the month's read
If less than five books receive seconds, I will pick whatever other nominated books have the highest star rating to round out the five needed for the poll.

Happy Nominating!

message 3: by John (new)

John (jwarner6comcastnet) | 21 comments I would like to nominate Smoke by Dan Vyleta

"Welcome to a Victorian England unlike any other you have experienced before. Here, wicked thoughts (both harmless and hate-filled) appear in the air as telltale wisps of Smoke.

Young Thomas Argyle, a son of aristocracy, has been sent to an elite boarding school. Here he will be purged of Wickedness, for the wealthy do not Smoke. When he resists a sadistic headboy's temptations to Smoke, a much larger struggle beyond the school walls is revealed. Shortly thereafter, on a trip to London, Thomas and his best friend witness events that make them begin to question everything they have been taught about Smoke.

And thus the adventure begins... You will travel by coach to a grand estate where secrets lurk in attic rooms and hidden laboratories; where young love blossoms; and where a tumultuous relationship between a mother and her children is the crucible in which powerful passions are kindled, and dangerous deeds must be snuffed out in a desperate race against time."

message 4: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Danny wrote: "The Marsh King's Daughter by Karen Dionne The Marsh King's Daughter by Karen Dionne
“Brilliant….About as good as a thriller can be.”–The New York Times Book Re..."

Hi Danny! Rules state that a book must have fewer than 5,000 ratings. This one has just over 8,000. You are more than welcome to nominate something else. :)

Thanks so much for participating!

message 5: by Charley Girl (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 22 comments How about The Russian Bride A Thriller by Ed Kovacs

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa McCauley | 2 comments The Dolphin People I LOVED this one. Family fleeing Germany after WWII crash land in the Amazon and live with a (mostly unwilling) tribe, told from point of view of teenage son

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I stumbled across this book looking for fiction on female protagonists from the 1950's. I think it sounds like a blast to read.

Strangled by Silk by Barbara Jean Coast

Synopsis:
Daphne and Margot––two independent young California women in 1957––own their own dress shop called Poppy Cove. When one of their top clients––Constance Stearns-Montgomery––is strangled to death with her own silk scarf at the opening ceremonies for her new girls’ academy, Daphne and Margot are shocked. They can’t believe that such a horrid crime could take place in their sleepy little oceanside village of Santa Lucia. Worse, they’ve lost one of their best clients. The two women quickly become embroiled in solving the crime. After all, if anyone can track down the killer, it should be them. Margot’s long-time beau is the town’s top cop, and Daphne is a master at using her flirtatious wiles to extract information from unsuspecting men. Of course, neither girl will let their snooping get in the way of more urgent tasks such as choosing new textiles and accessories for Poppy Cove or planning their fall fashion show or––most important––selecting the appropriate ensemble to wear for each and every occasion. But these two fashion detectives are on the case, and the murderer––and the poorly attired––had better watch out!

message 8: by Charley Girl (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 22 comments I'll second Smoke.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'll second Strangled by Silk by Barbara Jean Coast

message 10: by Amaka (new)

Amaka Nzeadibe I'd like to nominate Bad Romance by Heather Demetrios

message 11: by Matthew (last edited Jul 13, 2018 04:50PM) (new)

Matthew (fogjuice) I'll nominate Atlanta Burns. I just finished reading this and feel the need to share it. It's a brilliant book you've never heard of ;)

But really, it is pretty good. Kind of dark and gritty, but it didn't seem gratuitously so.

Atlanta Burns (Atlanta Burns #1) by Chuck Wendig

Edit to add: I started with the audio book, and didn't get very far. YMMV, but I thought the audio didn't do the actual book justice.

message 12: by Vicky (new)

Vicky Kennard | 1 comments I would like to nominate 17 equations that changed the world by Ian Stewart

message 13: by Marc (new)

Marc Jackson (nwtcoyote) | 1 comments I’d like to nominate Plum Rains by Andromeda Romano-Lax

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

2029: In Japan, a historically mono-cultural nation, childbirth rates are at an all-time low and the elderly are living increasingly longer lives. This population crisis has precipitated the mass immigration of foreign medical workers from all over Asia, as well as the development of finely tuned artificial intelligence to step in where humans fall short.

In Tokyo, Angelica Navarro, a Filipina nurse who has been in Japan for the last five years, works as caretaker for Sayoko Itou, a moody, secretive woman about to turn 100 years old. One day, Sayoko receives a present: a cutting-edge robot “friend” that will teach itself to anticipate Sayoko’s every need. Angelica wonders if she is about to be forced out of her much-needed job by an inanimate object—one with a preternatural ability to uncover the most deeply buried secrets of the humans around it. Meanwhile, Sayoko becomes attached to the machine. The old woman has been hiding secrets of her own for almost a century—and she’s too old to want to keep them anymore.

What she reveals is a hundred-year saga of forbidden love, hidden identities, and the horrific legacy of WWII and Japanese colonialism—a confession that will tear apart her own life and Angelica’s. Is the helper robot the worst thing that could have happened to the two women—or is it forcing the changes they both desperately needed?

message 14: by Momo (new)

Momo (momoreader) | 1 comments I nominate

"The Children's War " by J.N. Stroyar

Peter has had more identities than he can remember and suffered pains and humiliations he longs to forget. But, whether spy or prisoner, slave or propaganda tool, none of his roles has brought the one thing he wants above all: freedom.

THE CHILDREN'S WAR

Bad papers. That's how Peter's nightmare began. Living in contemporary Europe under Nazi domination -- more than fifty years after the truce among the North American Union, the Third Reich, and the Soviet Union -- Peter has struggled to make sense of the reign of terror that governs his world. Now, arrested for bearing a false identity, he is pulled full-force into a battle against Nazi oppression. The crusade for freedom that belonged to generations past is now Peter's legacy -- and his future depends not on running away, but on fighting back.

Escaping a Nazi prison camp and joining the Underground Home Army, Peter dedicates himself to breaking down the system that betrayed him. But by facing the evil at the heart of the Nazi political machine, Peter falls deeper into a web of intrigue and adventure that risks everything he holds dear -- in this life and for the sake of future generations.

A disturbingly real vision of what could have been, The Children's War is a page-turning epic thriller with a mesmerizing premise and an unforgettable cast of characters. J.N. Stroyar's searingly authentic, impassioned vision of human triumph over the forces of corruption and cruelty stands as a powerful tribute to the millions who have sacrificed and died in the name of freedom.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I second The Children's War. Sounds amazing

message 16: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Marc wrote: "I’d like to nominate Plum Rains by Andromeda Romano-Lax

2029: In Japan, a historically mono-cultural nation, childbirth rates are at an all-time low a..."

Hi Marc! Thanks for nominating! However, in the rules the book must be at least 6 months old. You can certainly nominate this again in four months. In the meantime you can also nominate something else now! :)

message 17: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman I'd like to nominate On Different Shores by Rebecca Bryn

Found guilty of killing Lord Northampton's gamekeeper, a young poacher is transported to Van Diemen's Land, leaving behind the common-law wife he loves. Pregnant and penniless, she is left facing the appalling lack of rights for women in Victorian England. While he suffers disease and the deprivations of a brutal life in chains, she is determined her child will know its father, so embarks on a dangerous strategy to follow her lover across the globe. Will the cost prove too high, for her and all
those she loves? (Inspired by family history and real events.)

Rebecca is a brilliant writer!

message 18: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Closing this thread. Will open a poll for September and nomination thread for October shortly.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.