Leaders' Book Club discussion

Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win
This topic is about Extreme Ownership
[Archive] Extreme Ownership > Part II: Laws of Combat

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 69 comments Mod
What captured your attention while reading Part II Laws of Combat of the book Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win

message 2: by Corey (new) - added it

Corey | 16 comments I think this is from part 2, but I'm not certain. I'm listening to the audiobook.

The chapter on 'prioritize and execute' really connected with me as I often allow myself to get overwhelmed by the options and potential outcomes in too many situations. This chapter brings to mind a fable about a Donkey I recently heard about on Tim Ferris's podcast:
"So in this interview, Tim asks Derek what advice he’d give to his thirty year old self.

Derek replies: “Don’t be a donkey”.

I found the reply and it’s explanation very fascinating and it really hit home.

So what does Derek mean by that?

Many 30 year olds are trying to pursue many different directions at once, but not making progress in any.

Or they get frustrated because the world wants them to pick one thing, and they want to do them all. Why do I have to choose?! I cannot choose!

The problem is that they’re acting short term, as if you don’t do them all this week, they won’t ever happen. But the solution is to think long term; to realize that you can do one of the things for a few years, then do another one for a few years, and so on.

The analogy with the donkey comes from a fable in which a donkey that is equally hungry and thirsty is placed precisely midway between a stack of hay and a pail of water. Since the paradox assumes the ass will always go to whichever is closer, it will die of both hunger and thirst since it cannot make any rational decision to choose one over the other.

A donkey can’t think of the future, if he did clearly he would realize that he could first drink the water and then go eat the hay, or vice versa."

message 3: by Corey (new) - added it

Corey | 16 comments Quote from Jason Galea's blog

message 4: by Ying Ying (new)

Ying Ying (yingyingshi) | 69 comments Mod
A great lesson! Thanks for sharing Corey.