Black Coffee discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

kisha | 3907 comments Mod
Sidney Poitier is a Bahamian-American actor who has accomplished many great things in his 87 years of life. He was the very first black actor to win an academy award. He is currently the Ambassador of the Bahams to Japan. Also, he is the decendent Haitian slave runaways also known as the Maroons. Poitier comes from humble beginnings working as a dishwasher before he entered the US Army and then latter joined the American Negro Theatre. His religious views are agnostic "with views closer to deism." He made history and opened doors for African-Americans for many years.

message 2: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments Yes, he has lead a very interesting life.

He has also written a novel Montaro Caine: A Novel.

I learned a lot about Sidney Poitier when reading My Song: A Memoir by Harry Belafonte. I learned about their friendship, their differences, the ebbs and flows of their careers and the points of intersection.

message 3: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new)

kisha | 3907 comments Mod
Thanks for linking both books. I never knew either of them wrote a book. That's impressive. It's funny that you mentioned Belafonte because I was juggling between him and Poitier for this months poe.

message 4: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2489 comments Mod
He is one of my favorite actors. To cross so many boundaries and still be able to command respect, not give in to any stereotypes by acting buffoonish or diminishing his masculinity, and still be at the top?!?! The man is a legend!

message 5: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Hook | 48 comments Thanks Beverly, for listing the book. I plan to check it out.

message 6: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl Carkhum-Lord (sheryllord) | 22 comments I love both of them. I saw the movie "A Raisen in the Sun" written by Lorraine Hansberry with Sidney he was so good. My favorite strong black actor.

message 7: by Onni (new)

Onni I only recently saw him in a movie for the first time. I thought he was phenomenal. I would be very interested to read a biography.

message 8: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl Carkhum-Lord (sheryllord) | 22 comments He has written two bio's. I haven't read either but plan to. He's even written at least one novel.