Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

The Warden (Chronicles of Barsetshire, #1)
This topic is about The Warden
Archive 2018 Group Reads > 2018 Short Story: The Warden by Anthony Trollope

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new) - added it

Lesle | 6300 comments Mod
The Warden by Anthony Trollope
The Warden concerns Mr Septimus Harding, the meek, elderly warden of Hiram's Hospital and precentor of Barchester Cathedral, in the fictional county of Barsetshire.
Hiram's Hospital is an almshouse supported by a medieval charitable bequest to the Diocese of Barchester. The income maintains the almshouse itself, supports its twelve bedesmen, and, in addition, provides a comfortable abode and living for its warden. Mr Harding was appointed to this position through the patronage of his old friend the Bishop of Barchester, who is also the father of Archdeacon Grantly to whom Harding's older daughter, Susan, is married. The warden, who lives with his remaining child, an unmarried younger daughter Eleanor, performs his duties conscientiously. 336 pages (Not really short!)

message 2: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosemarie | 8957 comments Mod
I have read the entire chronicles of Barsetshire series, and The Warden is the first book in the series. I think it is a great book for you a nice, relaxing read. Mr. Harding is a delightful character.

Inese Okonova | 73 comments I was shocked to find out that virtually nothing but one short story by Trollope is translated into my native Latvian language. Clearly this must be an agenda for future translators because this was a small pearl. Very smart and sharp. The mastery of author does not allow us even to understand who is author's favorite character and who is not. This novel is full of difficult ethical dilemmas which feel almost contemporary. I really enjoyed this one.

message 4: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

That is too bad. The books in the Chronicles of Barset are wonderful. At least you had a chance to read The Warden. My favourite in the series is Doctor Thorne.

message 5: by Brian E (last edited Jul 25, 2018 04:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brian E Reynolds | 4010 comments There is something to be said in favor of each of the 6 novels in the Chronicles of Barsetshire series.

The Warden - best way to start is at the beginning
Barchester Towers - seems to be the most popular; my 2nd favorite
Doctor Thorne - Rosemarie and Julian Fellowes' favorite
Framley Parsonage - my personal favorite-my 1st in a Goodreads group
Small House at Allington - PM John Major's favorite all time novel
Last Chronicle of Barset - Trollope's own favorite of the series.

If I only knew Latvian, I'd translate. Hey Rosemarie, you can learn it - why not one more language to read in?

message 6: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

I wish I could, but I can only do Romance or Germanic languages. 😉

Tracey (traceyrb) | 729 comments I don't know if others know this but Gutenberg now do some audio books. The Warden is on there for free.

To browse by author

https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/cate...

For The Warden:

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26287

Doreen Petersen I am currently reading this one and also Oliver Twist. Both are great reads to me.

message 9: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

If you get a chance, I recommend you read Barchester Towers too, since it has the same set of characters.
I plan on reading Oliver Twist later this year. I am glad you are enjoying it, Doreen.

Doreen Petersen Rosemarie wrote: "If you get a chance, I recommend you read Barchester Towers too, since it has the same set of characters.
I plan on reading Oliver Twist later this year. I am glad you are enjoying it, Doreen."

I have read Barchester Towers and loved that too Rosemarie.

message 11: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

Have you read any other books by Trollope?

Gilbert | 937 comments I’ve read the first three of the Barsetshire novels, last year. With a little luck I will get to the last three as 2019 goes by. Then on to the Pallisers and The Way We Live Now, among others.

message 13: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

I recently finished the last of the Palliser novels, and before that I read the Barsetshire series. I enjoyed them all, but my favourite is Doctor Thorne.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Warden (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Anthony Trollope (other topics)