Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Monthly Buddy Read Match-Up > July Group #1

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1996 comments Mod
July Buddy Read Match-Up Group #1 Lisa and Kenneth

(This is your thread to discuss the book of your choosing)
Have fun!

message 2: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Hi Kenneth...I have compared our books and these are the two that we both have in common on our "want to read" shelf that I thought would be fun to read:

Tyrannosaur Canyon (Wyman Ford #1) by Douglas Preston and Meg (MEG, #1) by Steve Alten

Feel free to make any other suggestions...I'm pretty open.
Last night I started Hell Divers (Hell Divers #1) by Nicholas Sansbury Smith I have only read about 20 pages, but liking it so far.

message 3: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments Hi
For some reason I don’t see anything???

message 4: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Kenneth wrote: "Hi
For some reason I don’t see anything???"

That's weird...I can see it. Can you see things in other posts?

message 5: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments This app has issues; I just read my post and IT’s missing words... so I guess ur post also

message 6: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

I'll copy it again without the book cover pictures, maybe that will help.

Hi Kenneth...I have compared our books and these are the two that we both have in common on our "want to read" shelf that I thought would be fun to read:
Tyrannosaur Canyon and Meg

Feel free to make any other suggestions...I'm pretty open.
Last night I started Hell Divers I have only read about 20 pages, but liking it so far.

message 7: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments Perfect Douglas Preston would be a perfect choice since I’m about 3 quarters into relic and I have read Lincoln Child I could see how he writes...
Let me know when you would like to start Tyrannosaur-Canyon..: should be fun since I’m really enjoying Relic....

message 8: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Kenneth wrote: "Perfect Douglas Preston would be a perfect choice since I’m about 3 quarters into relic and I have read Lincoln Child I could see how he writes...
Let me know when you would like to start Tyrannosa..."

I can start anytime...just let me know. I've read a couple of their stuff and have been meaning to read more.

message 9: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments How about the 7’th since its a natural number, a lucky number and we can tidy up what we have going on???

message 10: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

The 7th it is then!

message 11: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (last edited Jul 09, 2018 04:53PM) (new)

I'm about 25% in and have a few thoughts: Really wondering how the opening Apollo scene fits into the rest of the story. Also, as I'm reading I'm thinking that Tom Broadbent seems to be the main hero of the story, but then I realized the series is called "Wyman Ford". Ford eventually got an introduction in the story, but now I'm wondering what happens that gets an entire series from him. I'm assuming he somehow down the line, becomes a very integral character to the story. I guess I need to keep reading...So far I am enjoying!

message 12: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments Hi
I’m starting now; I’ll put my reaction up in the morning. I have a feeling that Ford in this story maybe a non focus and more of a high level character. Similar to what Lincoln Child did in his first book with the Logan character... but we shall see....

message 13: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments Good moon description and I’m liking IT so far...

message 14: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments I’m a little further in but I do read slow.
Ok here is my take... one MDK (murder-death-kill); wondering how many more. Whatever hit the moon also hit the earth at the same time. So if the diary does in fact show the location then Tommy better be careful and Mr Weed does have expertise of some sort since he did a stint in Iraq, which my guess is mercenary and maybe that’s after a military experience... I’m thinking expendable type...so why is the material so important.... many questions leads to a mystery so come on Scooby-Doo do where are you we got some work to do now...

message 15: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

I'm still confused...the notebook shows the location of (view spoiler) How can that relate to anything that might have crashed into the moon? Guess I need to just keep reading!

message 16: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

So I've just discovered that the characters of Tom Broadbent and Sally are introduced in another book The Codex which is about Tom's father (the treasure hunter). It might have been interesting to have read that one first. I might have to go back and read it after I finish with this one.

message 17: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments I’ll be catching up tomorrow as today is the 6th eleven hours days of work straight through.,, I’m getting tired but I keep on trucking

message 18: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Kenneth wrote: "I’ll be catching up tomorrow as today is the 6th eleven hours days of work straight through.,, I’m getting tired but I keep on trucking"

No worries...I know what that is like. Get some rest!

message 19: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments I’m liking the mystery of the rock. This merc scares the heck out of me... and the style is clean.

message 20: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments I’m going to track down codex since I do like Tom and by the narrative he is strong and I hope so I kind of think he is a cool dude and this merc Mr weeds sounds like a horses ass....

message 21: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments Another thought... I can really dig how Preston introduces new characters which you have a feel for whom they are and if you like or dislike them...

message 22: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Kenneth wrote: "Another thought... I can really dig how Preston introduces new characters which you have a feel for whom they are and if you like or dislike them..."

I also like how he doesn't introduce the characters all at once. Even 70% in he is introducing more. Keeps you on your toes while reading.

message 23: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments Oh wow I have something to look forward to as I get further into the book... the only knock is that he tends to be a bit wordy but so far so good...

message 24: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments Ok my heart is racing made some progress with more to go... I’m a slow reader but the journey will be worth the trip... I’m up to part 2....

message 25: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Kenneth wrote: "Ok my heart is racing made some progress with more to go... I’m a slow reader but the journey will be worth the trip... I’m up to part 2...."

Remind me...what's going on in Part 2 so I know where you are.

message 26: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments Ok so I’m on page 150 and Ford is looking for the find... Tom is on recon his wife just was taken so my heart is racing and I have to get some shut eye.... I haven’t had a day off from work in 11 days with 3 more to go....

message 27: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments 78% and I’m very happy with the story. Twist and turns are abundant and gratifying. I’m sure your done so when I get there we can compare notes. My work schedule is always brutal so my time to read is a little each night if I can keep my eyes open.

message 28: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

So did you ever finish Kenneth?

message 29: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments Oops; I forgot to post my review here (sorry about that)...
Read my 4-star review of Tyrannosaur Canyon by Douglas Preston
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...