Archive - Award Winners > What Happened - July 2018

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 1571 comments Mod
Memoir & Autobiography Winner

What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

For the first time, Hillary Rodham Clinton reveals what she was thinking and feeling during one of the most controversial and unpredictable presidential elections in history. Now free from the constraints of running, Hillary takes you inside the intense personal experience of becoming the first woman nominated for president by a major party in an election marked by rage, sexism, exhilarating highs and infuriating lows, stranger-than-fiction twists, Russian interference, and an opponent who broke all the rules. This is her most personal memoir yet.

In these pages, she describes what it was like to run against Donald Trump, the mistakes she made, how she has coped with a shocking and devastating loss, and how she found the strength to pick herself back up afterward. With humor and candor, she tells readers what it took to get back on her feet—the rituals, relationships, and reading that got her through, and what the experience has taught her about life. She speaks about the challenges of being a strong woman in the public eye, the criticism over her voice, age, and appearance, and the double standard confronting women in politics.

She lays out how the 2016 election was marked by an unprecedented assault on our democracy by a foreign adversary. By analyzing the evidence and connecting the dots, Hillary shows just how dangerous the forces are that shaped the outcome, and why Americans need to understand them to protect our values and our democracy in the future.

The election of 2016 was unprecedented and historic. What Happened is the story of that campaign and its aftermath—both a deeply intimate account and a cautionary tale for the nation.

message 2: by Janina (new) - added it

Janina (sylarana) | 676 comments I had intended to read this, but I feel like I just can't handle it at the moment. I am simply too angry with what's happening in this country ...

message 3: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 1571 comments Mod
I hear you Janina. I'm interested in this book too but I'm not in the mood right now (and it's not even my country). o_o

Bookworm Sapna (bookwormsapna) | 5 comments I am reading it currently and it just makes me angry. She had all the qualifications except for being a man and that is why Trump won. He satisfied the one criterion that matters more than any other - he is a man, at least as far as genitalia are concerned.

Joan Barnett | 23 comments I listened to this on audio. I found it very interesting. I don't classify myself as a Republican or a Democrat. I felt like I learned a lot more on the types of things that are being done to sway voters. I felt like that was a little enlightening to me. I also enjoyed learning more about her as a person and listening to the audio was great because she narrated it. I love it when the actual person narrates it. I like to listen to memoirs and biographies of people in power. This one didn't disappoint.

message 6: by Judy (new) - added it

Judy Robertson | 78 comments I didn’t know she narrated it! I might listen to it. I too haven’t “gone there”. I figure I will just get pissed. I’m so sick of all this orange nonsense. This country really dropped the ball and now we are a volatile laughing stalk. I don’t think anyone is laughing anymore, we are actually getting scared.

Jnewlen | 1 comments For me, this book was very interesting. I felt like I was going through the highs and lows of the election with her. You could see her care for the nation and all of its people show through in this book. There were times that i had to put the book down because it was too real and some parts were boring to me, but I hate politics...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

What Happened (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Hillary Rodham Clinton (other topics)