Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Karly’s June 2018 Reads

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karly (new)

Karly | 342 comments Hello! Here is my June list!

The Perfect Mother- Aimee Malloy. 3 stars. Story was okay, nothing special, thought it was a bit overhyped. But the ending was such an unexpected was twist that I ended up rethinking my whole opinion on the book.

David Sedaris Diaries: A Visual Compendium - David Sedaris. 5 stars. This was so fascinating, he is such an artistic writer. Visually fascinating and interesting to see his process.

The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating - Elisabeth Tova Bailey. 5 stars. Such a beautiful and meditative story. Quick read and very special.

The Silkworm - Robert Galbraith. 5 stars. Love these books! I liked this one better than Cuckoos Calling. Well written and definitely a page turner.

The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown. 3 stars. Not one of the best of the Robert Langdon series. He’s much whiny in this book then in Davinci Code or Angels and Demons. Story didn’t grab me like the others.

The Cruelest Month - Louise Penny. 4 stars. Love any books in the Gamache series. Though not my favorite within the series, still a very enjoyable and breezy read.

Robert Smithson: Spiral Jetty - Lynne Cooke/Ann Reynolds. 4 stars. Very academic reading but still fascinating. He is one of my favorite artists and I have trip planned this summer to see the Jetty in Utah, so this is good preparation reading! He was such a brilliant artist.

Starting on July now!

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15059 comments Nice list Karly! Like you, I always love a Three Pines book; Louise Penny is a must-read author and I loved the Robert Galbraith books. We need more like those from JK.

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8300 comments I cannot wait for the next Cormoran Strike book! Any month with Penny, Rowling and Sedaris is a win. Dan Brown, not so much. The title The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating is intriguing.

message 4: by Karly (new)

Karly | 342 comments Thanks all! Yes- need more Galbraith books! I found out I don’t get Cinemax so I’ll have to figure something out soon so I can watch! Need to read Career of Evil first though. :)
Starting off July with Sharp Objects in prep for the HBO show!

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8300 comments Oh yuk, is it on Cinemax? I don't get it either. Guess I'll have to wait for Amazon Prime or Netflix or whatever.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15059 comments Carol and Karly: All of these premium or subscription tv services making great shows with pay-walls are annoying! I can't recall what ATT produced recently that I couldn't watch but it was most annoying.

message 7: by Randi (new)

Randi Karly wrote: "Hello! Here is my June list!

The Perfect Mother- Aimee Malloy. 3 stars. Story was okay, nothing special, thought it was a bit overhyped. But the ending was such an unexpected was twist that I ende..."

I thought the same thing about ORIGIN! I have THE PERFECT MOTHER on request from the library.. I also find there is a lot of hype about it. Hope it lives up to it for me.