Mental Health Bookclub discussion

2018 Group Reads - MH Nonfiction > July Cognitive Disorders - Learning to Speak Alzheimer's

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ean (new)

Ean Happy Canada Day everyone! For the month of July we are reading Learning to Speak Alzheimer's by Joanne Koening Coste. Many lives are being touched by Alzheimer's and for those that are learning how to cope with its trials this could be a helpful book.

Learning to Speak Alzheimer's A Groundbreaking Approach for Everyone Dealing with the Disease by Joanne Koenig Coste
Learning to Speak Alzheimer's: A Groundbreaking Approach for Everyone Dealing with the Disease by Joanne Koenig Coste

More than four million Americans suffer from Alzheimer's, and as many as twenty million have close relatives or friends with the disease. Revolutionizing the way we perceive and live with Alzheimer's, Joanne Koenig Coste offers a practical approach to the emotional well-being of both patients and caregivers that emphasizes relating to patients in their own reality. Her accessible and comprehensive method, which she calls habilitation, works to enhance communication between care partners and patients. By meeting the patients in their own reality, rather than trying to force them to comply with a world they may no longer inhabit, we are able to respond in a way that brings satisfaction and even joy to both patients and caregivers.

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments I have to go to another library and pick it up. 🇺🇸

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments This book is sad. I know that stupid with what the book is about. I been taking a lot of breaks on the book. I get way too attached to books.

Sorry.

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments I finish this book and a few others earlier today. This book is 5 stars.

For 11 years I did caregiving for my daddy. My daddy does not have this. I meet folks though hospital, etc who have. I been lucky to hear the stories of those suffering from it and those who have loves ones going through this.

Di made several good points in her post.