Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2018 archive > July Challenge: I Finished!

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments This thread is to mark your completion of the July challenge for the prompt: "a book set at sea." You can join in with the group read of The Woman in Cabin 10 or pick a different book to satisfy this challenge.

Please include the following:

Title:
Author:
What was a favorite quote or aspect of this book for you?
Would you recommend?

No other posts in this thread please

message 2: by Teri (new)

Teri (teria) | 1326 comments Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
Author: Ruth Ware

My favorite aspect was (view spoiler)

The quote I related to was "My friend Erin says we all have demons inside us, voices that whisper we're no good, that if we don't make this promotion or ace that exam we'll reveal to the world exactly what kind of worthless sacks of skin and sinew we really are. Maybe that's true. Maybe mine just have louder voices. But I don't think it's as simple as that."

Would you recommend?
I picked up the book yesterday, and didn't go to sleep last night until it was finished. It hooked me pretty quickly, and I enjoyed it and would recommend it.

message 3: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 696 comments Fortunately I just completed this prompt at the end of June, so actually remember enough about the book to participate in this thread for once.

Title: Into the Drowning Deep
Author: Mira Grant (a.k.a. Seanan McGuire)

I was so happy about the representation. This book has the best canonically autistic character I can remember ever reading - not only that, she's a grown independent woman and non-straight, and gets a great F/F romance. I loved her so much and I love Seanan McGuire even more than I already did for writing her.
Also, the mermaids were some really cool creatures and I liked how in-depth (haha) McGuire went in explaining their biology, social structure, communication, etc.

Would you recommend? ABSOLUTELY.

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 49 comments Amazing read! I thought I had it all figured out until the very end. What wonder twists and turns. I haven't started up to read all night in years but I just couldn't put it down. I recommend this book whole heartily!

message 5: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 7034 comments Mod
Title: Daughter of the Pirate King
Author: Tricia Levenseller

I'm the type of reader who thinks a romance livens up almost any book. I didn't exactly BUY the romance, but I still didn't mind it. (LOL how's THAT for damning with faint praise?!)

and a quote:
Everyone has something dark in their past. I suppose it's our job to overcome it. And if we can't overcome it, then all we can do is make the most of it.

Would you recommend?
No, not really.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen | 127 comments title: the woman in cabin 10
author: Ruth Ware
I liked the suspense and the twists and turns, as well as the descriptions of the luxury cruise. This was my kind of thriller.
I would absolutely recommend this.

message 7: by Nerdy Panda (new)

Nerdy Panda (twobrokegirlswithbooks) (_readingpanda_) | 50 comments Title: Set to Sea

Author: Drew Weing

What was a favorite quote or aspect of this book for you? There's one panel per page, and there weren't many words in it. You can clearly know what's happening even if no one is saying anything.

Would you recommend? Sure. It's easy to get through and well-drawn

message 8: by Johanna (last edited Jul 05, 2018 06:30AM) (new)

Johanna Ellwood (jpellwood) | 234 comments Title: The Woman in Cabin 10

I read this book back in January, so I don't remember any specific quotes. I am in the minority here, but I didn't enjoy this book at all. Maybe it was the bleak, cold setting, maybe it was that I thought the main character seemed needy. Like someone else mentioned, I did like that she stuck to her story even when everyone else tried to dismiss her.

Would you recommend? Personally I would not, but everyone else seems to have loved it.

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan Kindred | 65 comments I finished The Woman in Cabin 10 a couple weeks ago. I read it early because that’s when it came in from the library.

I think my favorite aspect was the reliability of the narrator. I questioned whether I really trusted her a lot through the book.

I would recommend it depending on the person. I liked it but did not love it.

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 722 comments Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
What was a favorite quote or aspect of this book for you? I listened to the audiobook and the narration was excellent! Although, I had to speed up the book as the narrator speaks very, very slowly. The twists and turns kept me entertained on a long drive.
Would you recommend? Absolutely!

message 11: by John (new)

John | 79 comments Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
What was a favorite quote or aspect of this book for you?: I listened to the audio book as well as read along and this book had me sucked in from the get go with all the great just twists and red herrings of an amazing mystery novel.
Would you recommend?: I already have

message 12: by John (new)

John | 79 comments Heather wrote: "Although, I had to speed up the book as the narrator speaks very, very slowly"

I really wish I could've, but I checked it out from the library and copied it to my iPod and couldn't figure out a way to do this on there. I normally do it if I get the audio from OverDrive though lol

message 13: by Catka (new)

Catka | 9 comments Title: Voyager (Outlander No. 3)
Author: Diana Gabaldon
- Jamie and Claire meeting again after a long separation.
Would you recommend?
- Only if you loved the first two Outlander books and do not feel ready to abandon Jamie and Claire's world. However, this one was not as good as the previous books and was dragging a little. Especially the sea adventures, as if the author was just pilling one after another, one more unbelievable than the other.

message 14: by Catka (last edited Jul 12, 2018 04:52AM) (new)

Catka | 9 comments Nadine wrote: "Voyager was the book that killed the series for me. I finished that one and never looked back."
you are much sensible. I have finished the whole series - all 8 books (listened to audio, I would never have given my full time and attention to them), but I should have stopped after the second one. the rest has lost the esprit of the first two and she was just making more and more unbelievable and occasionally dumb plot lines.

message 15: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 7034 comments Mod
Haha I accidentally deleted my comment so now this looks weird! Sorry!

message 16: by Sonali (new)

Sonali Ekka | 86 comments Title: The Woman in Cabin 10

Nothing, didn't find any noteworthy quote

Would you recommend?
Not at all. I didn't enjoy the book, the story was predictable, the protagonist was annoying and the plot dragged on unnecessarily.

message 17: by Yvette (new)

Yvette Roberts | 18 comments Title: The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket

Author: Edgar Allan Poe

There was a lot going on in the book, but what particularly stood out was the protagonists relationship with his dog named 'Tiger'.

Would you recommend?
Yes. It's not a very long read and it's free on Projectgutenberg.

message 18: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Title: Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Author: Jules Verne

The journey under the sea was amazing. To see the ocean through open panels would be 100 times better than watching television. Why would anyone want to leave? Loved the beautiful descriptions of the Nautilus.

Yes I would recommend it. At times it did read like a science textbook.

message 19: by Cornerofmadness (new)

Cornerofmadness | 465 comments Title: The Bloody Black Flag: A Spider John Mystery

Author: Steve Gobel

What was a favorite quote or aspect of this book for you? That the author successfully blended pirates with a murder mystery and gave a real feel of being on a ship

Would you recommend? Yes. I can't wait for the next one.

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan | 334 comments Title: The Lifeboat
Author: Charlotte Rogan
What was a favorite quote or aspect of this book for you? The questions that it raises as the castaways struggle for survival. From the Prologue, it is clear that something dramatic must have taken place aboard the lifeboat. The pacing of the story is well done and builds tension until the pivotal moment occurs.
Would you recommend? Maybe. If you're someone who needs a "likable" character or a tidy ending, this is probably not the book for you. If you're more comfortable with gray areas and reading darker themes, you may find yourself looking to discuss the themes and questions that are raised with someone else.

message 21: by Mary Lee (new)

Mary Lee | 8 comments The Woman in Cabin 10
I loved the suspense of this book, the twists and turns and suprises along the way. I wanted to stay up all night listening to it. I found the audio to be much better than reading. The narrator was excellent.

I would definitely reccomend

message 22: by Julie (new)

Julie | 172 comments The Woman in Cabin 10
Ruth Ware

Favorite quote or aspect of this book.... well, I don't really have a favorite quote, but probably a portion of the first half of the book, when I started hatching my own theories as to who the girl was. I enjoyed guessing more than I enjoyed the actual reveal.

Probably wouldn't recommend in general. I might recommend it to very specific people who I know like this type of writing & story, but otherwise, no, I wouldn't recommend.

message 23: by Angie (new)

Angie | 28 comments Title: The Old Man and the Sea
Author: Ernest Hemingway
What was a favorite quote or aspect of this book for you? This book is a work of art. It is simply written and deeply profound. I am amazed at how much I enjoyed it because I did not like The Sun Also Rises. One of my favorite quotes: “You give me much good counsel,” he said aloud. “I’m tired of it.” (Santiago speaking to himself.)
Would you recommend? Very much so, but I also realize that it won't be everyone's cup of tea. But is anything?

message 24: by Emanuel (new)

Emanuel | 251 comments I read No Coração do Mar. I recommend it. It has some historical aspects, quotes of others books.

message 25: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments Title: The Old Man and the Sea
Author: Ernest Hemingway
I really like the way the quiet love between the boy and the old man is portrayed. I like the way it´s told in a quiet language, and Satiago´s connection to the sea. I also thought the illustrations (by C F Tunnicliffe and Raymond Sheppard) captured the atmosphere of the book perfectly.

Would you recommend? Yes. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. (I often find classics "hard" to access, but not this one).

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Buley | 44 comments Title: Life of Pi
Author: Yann Martel

What was a favorite quote or aspect of this book for you? I liked how researched it was. I basically feel like I tiger/shipwreck survival expert.

Would you recommend? Don't think so

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 635 comments Squeezed this one in right on July 31!

Title: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Author: C.S. Lewis
What was a favorite quote or aspect of this book for you? I absolutely loved the chapter with the Dufflepuds!
Would you recommend? It was fun to read, but it wouldn't necessarily be a top recommendation for me. I found the Christian themes a bit too strong in this one.

message 28: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments Finished this a little late on August 2nd

Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
What was a favorite quote or aspect of this book for you? My favourite aspects of this book were the enclosed nature and the news articles that were included throughout the book adding more tension to the plot
Would you recommend? Yes I would recommend to people who like a mystery and don't mind an unlikeable protagonist.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.