Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

The Woman in Cabin 10
This topic is about The Woman in Cabin 10
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2018 archive > July Group Read Discussion: The Woman in Cabin 10

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sara | 1508 comments Discussion is open for The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware.

Please use spoiler tags if you are sharing any plot related surprises.

Posts should be exclusively about this book.

When you've finished, be sure to post in the July Challenge - I finished! thread.

John | 79 comments So how far is everybody? I'm about halfway through (view spoiler)

Mike | 443 comments This book was the Monthly Challenge for June last year (A Book Involving Travel), so I read it then.

Not a fan. In fact, if you can read Nadine's review, this is one of my favorite "takedowns" of hers. 2 stars.

Sara | 1508 comments I have to agree with Mike and Nadine. Did not like this book.

Nadine in NY Jones | 6968 comments Mod
Wow so this book won two different monthly challenges? I didn't even notice, since I do my best to ignore the very existence of this book.

Maybe next year we should make a list of the past two year's monthly reads, and make them ineligible for another monthly read in the upcoming year?

Emma (emmabluerose) | 28 comments Read this a couple months ago for the book set at sea not realizing it would be a monthly challenge also.

Did not like it at all. The main character was terrible, I didn't like her or care of she solved the mystery. I usually like this type of book, but not this time.

Karen | 127 comments I like Nadine's idea of excluding previous years monthly challenges from eligibility for future years. I'm new to the group this year, so read this for the monthly read. I enjoyed it, although I also had a hard time with the main character, and points of the mystery. It's been a long time since I read a thriller, so maybe that's part of why I enjoyed it despite it's many flaws.

message 8: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Lopez | 0 comments I am little halfway through. I like it so far; very suspenseful! Do you guys like the main character-Lo? She gets annoying with the F bombs and her drinking.

Mary Lee | 8 comments I loved this book, I went back and forth between audio and reading and the audio was the best. I loved the British accent. I too thought it was very suspensful and was suprised at who the woman in cabin 10 was, though I have never been one to be able to figure it out before the end.

Shannon | 49 comments I've finished the book already and I agree with Kim. The F bombs and the drinking made me want to grab hold of her and tell her to get a grip!

Alexandra | 36 comments For me it was a disappointing read, the main character was totally unlikeable. I was bored and annoyed with this book. Not at all what I expected, unfortunately.

Heather (heatherbowman) | 722 comments I really loved this book. I listened to the audiobook on a long drive. My drive was just a little shorter than the audiobook, so I was able to listen all day and then finish up while I unpacked. I thought it was suspenseful and entertaining. I wasn't annoyed by Lo. She made some questionable decisions, but a protagonist who doesn't makes for a really boring book.

message 13: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Lopez | 0 comments Who do you think wired Lo the money?

message 14: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teria) | 1324 comments I get caught up in these types of books, and whether I'm enjoying it or not I have to finish it. I read the majority of this book in one evening (well, also into the early hours of the morning).

I did not care for the main character and thought she made some ridiculous choices. However, I still found the mystery intriguing and it kept me guessing until the end. Pretty much all I want in a mystery.

Between this and all the weird cruise stories that have been happening, I may have to rethink my bucket list cruise trip item.

I agree that if this was one of the monthly choices last year (wasn't doing monthly challenges then), it should be disqualified for any subsequent years.

message 15: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teria) | 1324 comments I think Nadine should post a link to her review here.

Teri wrote: "I think Nadine should post a link to her review here."

LOL it's not anything special, it's just me complaining about the book.
The Woman in Cabin 10

message 17: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teria) | 1324 comments Nadine wrote: "Teri wrote: "I think Nadine should post a link to her review here."

LOL it's not anything special, it's just me complaining about the book.
The Woman in Cabin 10"

Well, it made me laugh.

Lauren Oertel | 764 comments Well the story held my attention throughout, but at the end I thought, "meh, that was ok." I agree with Nadine's annoyances with the main character, but also just wasn't really impressed with how it all turned out. In some ways it seemed too realistic, and in others not thought-through well enough. I think the biggest strength it had was the (view spoiler)

It looks like I enjoyed this author's other book more (In a Dark, Dark Wood) since I gave it four stars. I'm realizing now that it was a very similar style of suspense novel with how it plays out and ends. I can't remember, but I'm guessing the main character in that one was stronger since I liked it more than this one.

message 19: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri (teria) | 1324 comments Lauren, I agree with your spoiler statement.

message 20: by Julie (last edited Jul 24, 2018 03:49PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Julie | 172 comments I just finished it, and can say I do largely agree with Nadine's review. Oddly, I DNF'd The Girl on the Train because I felt the character was too whiny and too unlikeable, especially with all the drinking, but actually finished this one in a couple of days despite there being some similarities in the protagonists. It hooked me somehow and kept my attention until the end, probably because I thought the big reveal was going to be something more complex and exciting than what it was.

When (view spoiler)

I developed all kinds of crazy theories as to who the girl was, and kept reading at a pretty rapid pace solely to find out if I was right. I was disappointed to find out (view spoiler) Once I found that out, I kind of wished I'd DNF'd it. I was too far along at that point, though, and wanted to just finish it.

At least I can say I was somewhat entertained by it at times.

message 21: by Nadine in NY (last edited Jul 24, 2018 04:17PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Julie wrote: "I just finished it, and can say I do largely agree with Nadine's review. Oddly, I DNF'd The Girl on the Train because I felt the character was too whiny and too unlikeable, especially with all the ..."

Hah! even though I disliked Cabin 10, I really liked The Girl on the Train a lot, I identified with the whiny protagonist. Maybe we all have just ONE whiny domestic thriller we can love.

Julie | 172 comments Nadine wrote: "Hah! even though I disliked Cabin 10, I really liked The Girl on the Train a lot, I identified with the whiny protagonist. Maybe we all have just ONE whiny domestic thriller we can love"

LOL, yes, maybe we do! Someday I'm going to give The Girl on the Train another try, too though, at some point. Sometimes I wonder if I didn't get far enough along with that one to really give it a fair chance.

Heather (heatherbowman) | 722 comments Have you read other books by Ruth Ware? How do you think they compare to this one?

I've started listening to the audiobook of The Death of Mrs. Westaway. The protagonist is a lot more likable. Her reason for making questionable choices is that she's young and broke and alone in the world, which I find a lot more sympathetic. It has the same atmosphere that I loved in The Woman in Cabin 10. I'm only about a quarter of the way in, but I think I'll like it too.

message 24: by Theresa (last edited Aug 03, 2018 12:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Theresa | 1882 comments Coming late to this discussion, but want to chime in on the side of liking this mystery. This is only Ware's 2nd mystery novel, and it definitely shows it. But it also lives up to and takes farther the promise exhibited in her first In a Dark, Dark Wood.

One of the things I like most about Ware is how she takes classic mystery themes and uses them in a contemporary way - here the ship is the snowed-in isolated country house so beloved of the classic mystery writers. In some ways she has completely turned that theme on its head by introducing some more thriller aspects in the last third of the book.

We are not supposed to find Lo particularly likeable, certainly not reliable, at least at the beginning.

On the other hand, I thought (view spoiler)

It is definitely flawed, but I thought a much stronger better crafted mystery than her first. I am looking forward to reading The Lying Game, her third.

message 25: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments I've also finished this a little late for the monthly read. I enjoyed this for the same reasons Theresa did, it's illusions to classic crime. I find crime writing is at its best when there are lots of characters and a confined space!

I'm in the minority in that I liked the fact that Lo was unlikeable. It made me consider other options and question her analysis of the situation. I also wasn't bothered by the drinking, Hell, if I was on a luxury cruise liner with free booze I may well be tempted to overindulge too!

I did find the pacing a bit weird with the slow start and the drawn-out 'thriller' ending with too many additional twists coming in rapid succession. But found that the middle bit on the boat was the best part.

I've come away with a few unanswered questions

(view spoiler)

Those were my major nitpicks. Up until the end, this was a really good mystery for me.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.