Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Proofreading services for free

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Proofreading (last edited Aug 30, 2018 02:17PM) (new)

Proofreading Services | 6 comments I'm no longer offering my services. Thanks.

Hi.

I’m looking to proofread novels for free. I’m an author and have published books on Amazon for the past five years. I write, edit, and proofread my own books. I’m really interested in being a proofreader and want to start out, so this is a trial run for me. I like to read YA and adult, romance, paranormal, contemporary, fantasy (though not too heavy) and light sci-fi. Thrillers and mysteries are okay, too, though please no gore or abuse.

PM if interested. Thanks.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 80 comments Hello,
I would love to get feedback for a short horror/ dark fantasy story I'm working on. It's about 3200 words, here's the synopsis:

A young woman is haunted by the ghost of the woman who hurt her while another victim targets someone she loves.

I'd like to know stuff like if you think it works as a horror or dark fantasy, if it kept you interested, if it bored you, how the pacing was, what you thought of the writing style and word flow and if you have any questions about anything you didn't get. Also feel free to point out any plot holes or errors in logic and things like that as well as anything from the beta reading checklist posted in this forum that you feel would help. If you're interested let me know :)

message 3: by Proofreading (new)

Proofreading Services | 6 comments Amanda,
I'm actually looking to proofread, not beta. If you need a proofreader when your manuscript is nearly ready for publication, feel free to contact me. Good luck.

message 4: by Nicolina (new)

Nicolina Martin | 8 comments One can always ask... Even though it doesn't entirely fit what you ask for. I have a 47 k romance/suspense, final draft before publishing.

Blurb:

Scarred from a dark past, Anna has shied away from people, concentrating only on her work. When a devilishly handsome stranger shows an unusual interest in her, life as she knows it tilts on its axis.

Eric is a man who knows what he wants and always gets his way, until he meets Anna. With every little step forward, she pushes him two steps back. He’s on the hunt and nothing will stop him from getting his prey.

During a long cold night, trapped together, something changes between them - something neither expected.

But will it change everything?

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary | 3 comments Hi, I wonder if you might find a translation interesting? I've translated one chapter of a YA space opera novel (2500 words) and I'm sure it needs proofreading, as I'm not a native English speaker, after all. Hope you could help!

message 6: by Proofreading (new)

Proofreading Services | 6 comments Nicolina, are you looking for a proofreader? I'll look for typos, grammatical and punctuation errors, and so on. I won't look for plot holes, pacing, characterization, etc. Are you still interested?

message 7: by Nicolina (new)

Nicolina Martin | 8 comments Proofreading wrote: "Nicolina, are you looking for a proofreader? I'll look for typos, grammatical and punctuation errors, and so on. I won't look for plot holes, pacing, characterization, etc. Are you still interested?"

Hopefully there isn't much in the way, but the goal is to have close to none, so yes :)

message 8: by Proofreading (new)

Proofreading Services | 6 comments Nicolina, I messaged you.

message 9: by Proofreading (new)

Proofreading Services | 6 comments Mary wrote: "Hi, I wonder if you might find a translation interesting? I've translated one chapter of a YA space opera novel (2500 words) and I'm sure it needs proofreading, as I'm not a native English speaker,..."

Sorry, Mary, I didn't see your post. I can take a look at the first chapter. Please PM me if you are still interested.

message 10: by W.D. (new)

W.D. Visalli | 35 comments I'd be interested in getting my novel proofread. It's currently complete at a little over 80K words. A YA Urban Fantasy novel mainly aimed at the teenage market so the reading level wouldn't be too steep, junior high - high school.

If you'd be interested please let me know and I'll share a google docs link.

message 11: by Proofreading (new)

Proofreading Services | 6 comments I'm no longer offering my services. Thanks.

message 12: by Kat (new)

Kat Devitt (kat_devitt_author) | 103 comments Hi! I'm seeking a beta reader for a Gothic ghost story. It's a short piece at only 1,800 words. It's a dark story with measured pace, teasing the reader to the twist ending.

My issue with the story is something feels off. I can't pinpoint what the issue might be, and I hope a beta reader or two can help remedy this. I'm too close to the work, and I need a second pair of eyes,

Please message me here, or email me at katdevittauthor (@) gmail (.) com.

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie Smith | 4 comments Hi! I’m a young writer with a novel upwards of 100k words, but if you would only like to look at part of that that would be fine. It’s YA and I’m hoping to chop down some unnecessary parts and make it a more compelling read. Message me if you have any questions or if you are interested. Thanks!

message 14: by Djj (new)

Djj Mizzi | 7 comments Hi. I have an 82,000 medieval YA fantasy. Please message me if you're interested or e-mail me: d.j.j.mizzi@hotmail.com

Here is a short synopsis: Naphtali is an ordinary boy, who lives an ordinary life as a blacksmith’s apprentice with his aunty in the city of Aldun. Naphtali hates it, he yearns for adventure. But Naphtali has no overwhelming skills, nothing that makes him stand out; there seems to be no way of escaping the mundane grip that life has on him. The Dragon Slayers are quiet and mysterious although their skills are renown throughout the land. They keep to themselves. They don’t talk about their guild. They don’t talk about their training. Torin is one of those Dragon Slayers. One night, Naphtali finds himself locked outside the city gates with his cousin Korah. Torin is also sent out that night in hunt of a dragon causing trouble in the farmlands. When the dragon attacks Naphtali, Torin watches unseen from the shadows, curious as to how the boy will handle the situation. There was nothing special in the way that Naphtali moved, nor in his fighting technique and ability; but Torin sees something in Naphtali that cannot be taught. Absolute persistence. Torin saves Naphtali, and leaves him with an offer to join the Dragon Slayers.