Addicted to YA discussion

Specials (Uglies, #3)
This topic is about Specials
Series > Specials

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5323 comments Mod
This month we will be doing things a little differently! This discussion will be lead by Shelina. She will be here to help keep the conversation going. This is the first time we are doing anything like this, so please keep that in mind.

message 2: by Shelina (last edited Jul 03, 2018 03:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelina | 29 comments Okay, am I the only one who had to go back and read the first two books again?

*Full Disclosure* I've read them all before but I'm still re-reading Specials myself.

Shelina | 29 comments After re-reading the other books and re-reading this one, I noticed a common theme which may reveal a tragic flaw in this series. Tally Youngblood always seems to be motivated by one thing. Hint: Paris, David, Zane. What do you think? Can she be redeemed?

Shelina | 29 comments Erika wrote: "This month we will be doing things a little differently! This discussion will be lead by Shelina. She will be here to help keep the conversation going. This is the first time we are doing anything ..."

Shelina here!

I'm not normally a big talker in this group. I realized I should probably introduce myself a little in case you're wondering who the devil I am. I'm an American living in Canada with the hubby and my dog. I'm a lifelong reader and now an author.

Westerfeld is one of my favorite authors along with Michael Grant, and Mark Frost, that's why I jumped at the chance to lead this discussion. I'll be here every day dropping in random thoughts and questions. I'm on Alberta time if you want to chat.

Hollar back!

Shelina | 29 comments Whether you've started Specials yet or not, what do you think about Shay and Tally's on again off again friendship? Without getting too far ahead in the series, why do you think the two of them can't seem to stay friends?

Shelina | 29 comments I realized at one point that I’d forgotten that Tally is only 16 in this book. It’s making me wonder how old a ‘middle pretty’ and a ‘crumbly’ might be...thoughts?

Fluffy (flufflicious) | 0 comments Shelina wrote: "Whether you've started Specials yet or not, what do you think about Shay and Tally's on again off again friendship? Without getting too far ahead in the series, why do you think the two of them can..."

I read the books a long time ago. I enjoyed them but I'll admit that the relationship between these 2 started to bug me.. I think there was a lot of jealousy throughout over different things.

Fluffy (flufflicious) | 0 comments Shelina wrote: "I realized at one point that I’d forgotten that Tally is only 16 in this book. It’s making me wonder how old a ‘middle pretty’ and a ‘crumbly’ might be...thoughts?"

You're right, it's kind of strange... with the tech they have and surgical sophistication you'd think the lifespan would be huge so surely the middles and oldies would be a lot older?

Shelina | 29 comments Fluffy wrote: "You're right, it's kind of strange... with the tech they have and surgical sophistication you'd think the lifespan would be huge so surely the middles and oldies would be a lot older?"

I can only hope. The thought of being a 'crumbly' made me a little sad :-)

Shelina | 29 comments Fluffy wrote: "I read the books a long time ago. I enjoyed them but I'll admit that the relationship between these 2 started to bug me.. I think there was a lot of jealousy throughout over different things."

Yes, I'm trying to think back to that time in my own life (14-16) and the friends that I had and the kids I knew and I don't remember that much cattiness. It makes me wonder if the medical procedures created some of that jealousy. As people get to the end of the book, maybe they'll have an opinion on that.

Shelina | 29 comments I'm still trying to avoid spoilers this early in the month for those who are still reading: so let me throw this out at you.

The series as a whole up to this point deals a lot with cosmetic surgery, as well as the idea of physical upgrades.

I've always wanted the ability to speak telepathically. The interface network that is used in 'Specials' would be even better. The ease of 'whisper-communication' without the invasion of privacy would be cool.

Without getting into the politics of right or wrong if you could 'upgrade' something about yourself what would it be?

(i.e. some physical or mental ability or something more cosmetic)

Jess (AKA shortstuff) (shortstuff83) | 128 comments I'm not sure if this counts as an upgrade, but I would love to be able to forget useless information so my brain has more room for important stuff.

Also, it would be awesome if our memories could be recorded onto a DVD somehow, so we can literally relive our fondest memories.

I feel like I've gone a bit off topic...

Shelina | 29 comments Jess (AKA shortstuff) wrote: "I'm not sure if this counts as an upgrade, but I would love to be able to forget useless information so my brain has more room for important stuff.

It counts, and it's not off topic at all.

Great upgrade!

Shelina | 29 comments Today is Monday and it's so hard to be motivated on Mondays. So let's talk about the people in Tally's life who motivated change.

Which was your favorite side/minor character?

Who do you wish you could see more of or know more about their past or future?

message 15: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (sarahmango) | 48 comments Its been a few months since I read the first two books, and already I'm having a hard time remembering what aspects I liked about them. I've tried to start reading Specials, but honestly Tally seems so childish and honestly pretty stupid to me, which really bothers me as a reader. Thoughts?

Fluffy (flufflicious) | 0 comments Shelina wrote: "I'm still trying to avoid spoilers this early in the month for those who are still reading: so let me throw this out at you.

The series as a whole up to this point deals a lot with cosmetic surger..."

Kinda like what Jess said but I like the idea of being able to recall memories or information so something like an Eidetic memory but sort of more in lines with computer use so it's controlled rather than being overwhelmed by memories of things. If that makes sense?

Fluffy (flufflicious) | 0 comments Sarah wrote: "Its been a few months since I read the first two books, and already I'm having a hard time remembering what aspects I liked about them. I've tried to start reading Specials, but honestly Tally seem..."

I think it's hard because the book is really about that, isn't it? People being kept dumb and unaware... I guess it's trying to suss whether it's intentional (so as a statement) or if it's just the character?

Shelina | 29 comments Sarah wrote: "Its been a few months since I read the first two books, and already I'm having a hard time remembering what aspects I liked about them. I've tried to start reading Specials, but honestly Tally seem..."

I'll be honest. I had to re-read the other two books before I could follow this one again. The good thing about that is that in Pretties Tally is far worse in the 'stupidity' department. I found myself rolling my eyes a lot in that one.

message 19: by Shelina (last edited Jul 10, 2018 07:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelina | 29 comments This book starts out with a trip to an ugly party. There are a lot of 'bubbly' parties in this series too. I know most of us would prefer to stay home with a good book. But just for fun: Do you like to party? How many parties do you go to? Elements of your perfect party?

message 20: by Shelina (last edited Jul 12, 2018 06:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelina | 29 comments TGIAF everybody! :) If you had to choose between them who would you pick?

Paris, David, or Zane? In other words:
The Childhood Friend, The Outsider, or The Rebel?

Shelina | 29 comments Shelina wrote: "TGIAF everybody! :) If you had to choose between them who would you pick?

Paris, David, or Zane? In other words:
The Childhood Friend, The Outsider, or The Rebel?"

In real life: I chose 'The Outsider' - David. He's become my friend and when I need him to be my rebel :-)

Shelina | 29 comments Okay, we're halfway through the month so let's start digging into this book a bit more. NO SPOILERS yet but they're coming...

Shay-La has always been a little more 'sensitive' than Tally, but in the beginning, she was Tally's friend. How do you feel about her not having any other close friends or boyfriends since meeting Tally? Does she deserve a happy ending in this book?

Shelina | 29 comments SIDE NOTE: Comic-Con 2018 in San Diego starts this week and Scott Westerfeld is going to be there? Anyone from our group attending?

Shelina | 29 comments When I first read this series I didn't think anything of it but then reading it again I'll admit the 'cutter' storyline is a little disturbing. Despite that, Westerfeld goes out of his way to get into the minds of youth by creating a language and focusing on themes that concern young people. Does he succeed?

Shelina | 29 comments Sorry everybody, starting to slack off as we get to the end of the month. I think it's time for some dadadadmmm*****SPOILERS*****!

(view spoiler)

Shelina | 29 comments Four new Ugly Novels?!
I love the trailer, it's cute. Check it out here: Scott Westerfeld's New Uglies

Who's going to read these new ones just because they're a part of the series?

*Guess I better finish Extras...I don't even remember if I read that one already. So far it doesn't feel familiar at all. This is going to be interesting.*

Shelina | 29 comments Want to get caught up on the discussion? Don't forget this little gem: Uglies Thread