2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives > June 2018 Roundup

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Jul 05, 2018 04:35AM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 11408 comments Mod
 photo image_zpsrov4ysil.png

1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?
3. Did you move forward in any series? How many?
4. Any standout or 5 star books read? Why did you love it/them?
5. Overall summary of your reading month?

Christina
Giulia
Jessika
Jonetta
Laura
Lauren
Melissa
Michelle
Robin
Veronica

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2549 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes . some of them were new series as well.
Broken Deeds MC
Areion Fury MC both by Esther E. Schmidt
Suncoast society by Tymber Dalton
Cordova Empire by Ann Mayburn

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? Yes
Lost in oblivion by Taryn Elliot. I'm definitely continuing with this series
The Cordova empire by Ann Mayburn. I read both books and I'm not sure when or if more is coming. But it is a series I'll read again
I had a BOTM Picking Up the Pieces. I think this book had potential for a debute but I was drain in the wrong way after reading this book. So I'm undecided if I'd read more in this series / by this author.
I started a few other series but that was read more for a challenge and I'm not continuing them.

Besides those mention in Q 1&2 I also moved forward in :
World of Kalquor by Tracy St. John

I had set out to make inroads into some of my challenges because before you know it it's November and they are nowhere near completed. They are :
1. A-Z bikers where the title must started with the letter of the alphabet
2. TBR challenge where I read books on my TBR shelf that's been waiting since before 2017
And that's what I did. So from that stand point I was successful. As for standout read ? Nothing but good , a few why did I wait so long to start this ( always a great thing) and some okay it's off my shelf let just move on to the next read.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4522 comments Mod
Well done, Michelle. Finishing 4 series including some that you started is quite an achievement :)

message 4: by Lauren (last edited Jul 01, 2018 06:58AM) (new)

1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Yes
I finished Sookie Stackhouse which I dedicated about 18 months to reading. I am pleased with the way that it ended. Very satisfying conclusion.
Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse, #13) by Charlaine Harris

Yes, I'm afraid I gave into temptation and will continue with the series.
Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1) by Lisa Kleypas

Yes, 11 - one of which is now a DNF

Eternity in Death (In Death #25.5) by J.D. Robb Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8) by Kim Harrison One Wrong Move (McClouds & Friends #9) by Shannon McKenna Death on Beacon Hill (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #3) by P.B. Ryan The Heart of Devin MacKade (MacKade Brothers, #3) by Nora Roberts Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) by Sarah J. Maas The Trouble With Valentine's Day (Chinooks Hockey Team, #3) by Rachel Gibson Broken by Karin Slaughter Murder on Marble Row (Gaslight Mystery, #6) by Victoria Thompson A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2) by Rhys Bowen

The DNF is Dying Light (Logan McRae, #2) by Stuart MacBride - really disappointed in this because the series had potential, but the pace was just so slow.

Yes, Eternity in Death was great and I also really enjoyed Crown of Midnight. The series is beginning to live up to its potential.

5. Overall summary of your reading month? I read 16 books and enjoyed most although there were one or two disappointments. Hope to keep up the momentum in July

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2549 comments 11? That's really great Lauren. My fingers are crossed you keep your momentum as well

As for me I was lucky that most of the books were under 150 pg. long so I could motor through.

message 6: by Jessika (last edited Jul 01, 2018 01:32PM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? I did! I completed the Jumper Series, a total of 4 books + 1 spin-off.

2. Did you start any new series? No new series started.

3. Did you move forward in any series? Other than the series I completed, no.

4. Any standout or 5 star books read? No big stand-outs this month.

5. Overall summary of your reading month: I read a total of 5 books, including the 2 to complete the series, 1 for a classics buddy read, 1 reread of a series I've already completed, and 1 stand alone for my own interest. It turned out to be a better month than I thought, because I finished 3 of those 5 books last night!!

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2604 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I finished Jenn Bennett's Roaring Twenties series.

I started Peter May's Lewis Trilogy by reading the first book The Blackhouse. It was well-written, but I was expecting more mystery and less background. I'm not planning on reading the others.

I moved forward in 5 series:
The Bad Luck series - Geralyn Dawson
Gaslight Mysteries - Victoria Thompson
Highland Pleasures (MacKenzies) series - Jennifer Ashley
Romantic Suspense - Karen Rose
Weekday Brides - Catherine Bybee

I had one 5-Star book - Murder on Marble Row (Gaslight Mystery, #6) by Victoria Thompson

Besides the Victoria Thompson book and a couple of others, I read a lot of mediocre books in June. I'm hoping July is a little more interesting.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 1441 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I completed one series, the Five Kingdoms series by Brandon Mull.

No new series...yet.

I moved forward in 3 series:
Big Stone Gap (#2)
Throne of Glass (#2)
In Death (#11)

I rated most of my books 5 stars this month. I really enjoyed all of them. They were all books that kept my attention and made reading fun.

I am pretty happy with my reading this month. I'm currently 2 books ahead of plan for my goal.

message 9: by Veronica (last edited Jul 01, 2018 08:16PM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

I completed one series (trilogy): Kushiel's Mercy

I started five new series. I'll be continuing with two of them: Speaks the Nightbird The Missing Ones.

Nope! lol

Just one five star read this month: Kushiel's Mercy. An awesome conclusion to the trilogy.

Not the best month I've ever had in terms of quantity or quality but, hey, there's always next month. :-)

message 10: by Jonetta (new)

Michelle wrote: "

Yes . some of them were new series as well.
Broken Deeds MC
Areion Fury MC both by Esther E. Schmidt
Suncoast society by Tym..."

Wow, Michelle, you had a great month!! Four series is a lot and the progress you made in your other challenges was outstanding.

Yay for Lost in Oblivion, one of my favorites! Have fun with that one.

message 11: by Jonetta (last edited Jul 02, 2018 01:10AM) (new)

Lauren wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Yes
I finished Sookie Stackhouse which I dedicated about 18 months to reading. I am pleased with the way that it ended. Very sati..."

Lauren, 11 series? That’s amazing. I cannot believe it was 18 months ago when we had the buddy read for the first book in Sookie Stackhouse. Congrats on finishing it and glad you liked the outcome. Great month.

message 12: by Jonetta (new)

Jessika wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? I did! I completed the Jumper Series, a total of 4 books + 1 spin-off.

2. Did you start any new series? No new series started.

..."

Kudos for finishing a series, Jessika! And, there’s something to be said for not having starting another.

How in the world do you finish three books in one night??!!

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

Robin wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

I ..."

Sorry about the mediocre reading experiences. At least you made great progress in your series reading. Bummer news about the Peter May trilogy. I’ve got them on my shelf.

It’s so rare for you to have such a blah reading month. But at least the good ones were really very good (Thompson, Karen Rose, Bybee). Fingers crossed for July!

message 14: by Jonetta (new)

Melissa wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I completed one series, the Five Kingdoms series by Brandon Mull.

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will y..."

Excellent, Melissa! You, too, had an outstanding month. Putting aside your series progress, those 5-star reads are impressive. It feels so good when you have a month where everything you read was a win! Congrats.

message 15: by Jonetta (new)

Veronica wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

I completed one series (trilogy): Kushiel's Mercy

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will y..."

I always love how willing you are to try new books! You have the most interesting titles on your reading list. Congrats on finishing the series on a high note. No comment on the five new ones your started😏

message 16: by Jonetta (new)

I got up to date in two series, Amos Decker by David Baldacci and Boston Fire by Shannon Stacey (though she’s releasing a new one shortly).

I started three new series, two I plan to continue:
Cage Foster by Stacy Green (will continue)
D.I. Kim Stone by Angela Marsons (will continue)
I Do, I Don’t by Lauren Layne (stopping at one)

I moved forward in three:
Shattered Past by Cecy Robson
Rizzoli & Isles by Tess Gerritsen
Gaslight Mystery by Victoria Thompson

I read a LOT of good books this month, three were 5 stars and two rate special mention as I toyed with rating them 4 1/2 stars. All the Ugly and Wonderful Things was simply stunning, Shelter in Place was Nora at her finest and Gerritsen hit her stride with Body Double. Little Big Love is one of those books that left an imprint in my heart with one very powerful scene and Unraveling Oliver was an incredible debut that I just want to talk about with someone!

I cannot recall when I had such a satisfying reading month (lots of audiobooks). And, I read so many standalones, more than I ever have in any one month (9!). Going forward, I’m going to make a point of sprinkling more of these in my plans while staying focused on series progress. It makes for a nice balance and cleanses the reading palate.
All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood Shelter in Place by Nora Roberts Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4) by Tess Gerritsen Little Big Love by Katy Regan Unraveling Oliver by Liz Nugent

message 17: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Jonetta wrote: "How in the world do you finish three books in one night??!!"

Hehe, well they were all at 80% completion, so I just buckled down and read or listened all day in my downtime.

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2549 comments Jonetta 9 standalones? That is a record. I'm always struggling to find those.

message 19: by Jonetta (last edited Jul 02, 2018 06:22AM) (new)

Michelle wrote: "Jonetta 9 standalones? That is a record. I'm always struggling to find those."

Most were for publisher review and I selected them because they were standalones and sounded interesting. I got greedy but it was worth it.

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2549 comments Oh I agree. If it's a great author they write it in such a way that you want to start the next one. Or you just need to know someone's story. I hate that unfinished feeling. Anyway that how I get " trapped "

message 21: by Jonetta (new)

Some of the authors I’d read before but a few were new and wonderful surprises.

message 22: by ~ Giulia ~ (new)

~ Giulia ~ | 104 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1) by John Scalzi - The translation I read wasn't very good, and the book itself didn't really take me until the very last part. I don't think I'll continue. Maybe someday if I find an English edition to borrow...

I moved forward in 2 series
Murder on Marble Row (Gaslight Mystery, #6) by Victoria Thompson The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3) by Rick Riordan

This month I took it easy and mostly I reread some old favourites, read some short stories, and got up to date on a few webtoons.

message 23: by ~ Giulia ~ (new)

~ Giulia ~ | 104 comments Jonetta wrote: "I cannot recall when I had such a satisfying reading month (lots of audiobooks). And, I read so many standalones, more than I ever have in any one month (9!). Going forward, I’m going to make a point of sprinkling more of these in my plans while staying focused on series progress. It makes for a nice balance and cleanses the reading palate."

I totally agree on the stanalones. Sometimes you just need the sense of closure.

message 24: by ~ Giulia ~ (new)

~ Giulia ~ | 104 comments Robin wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

I ..."

I'm sorry you had a lot of mediocre books this month :(
Murder on Marble Row was my favourite in the series so far!

message 25: by Jonetta (new)

~ Giulia ~ wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1) by John Scalzi - The translati..."

Sounds like you had a mellow reading month, Giulia. Good for you for taking some time for yourself.

I often wonder how well a book is translated. Sorry this one didn’t work so well.

message 26: by Jonetta (new)

~ Giulia ~ wrote: "I totally agree on the stanalones. Sometimes you just need the sense of closure..."

That’s it exactly. You’re forever left with that final chapter.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2344 comments 1. Did I complete or get up to date on any series?
Up to date-no
Completed 6 Chicago RebelsHooked On You
Ruin and RevengeRocco
This Man With This Man
Sinners Tribe Chaos Bound
Play By Play Shot on Gold
Crossfire One with You

2. Did I start any new series? 2
Undeniable Undeniable
Real Real
I will continue both. Undeniable was great for an MC book.
Real didn't live up to the hype but was entertaining.

3. I moved forward in 4
Mine
Ruckus
Combust
Midnight Alias

4. Standout books-
Love and Other Words Everyone needs to read this one.
Midnight Alias Great romantic suspense series
Combust This series is about 3 brothers This installment is about a firefighter who lost his partner in a fire and can't move on from the guilt.
Hooked On You Loved this one. Last of the series

5. Overall summary of month-
I enjoyed my month. I am reading books that I have had and wanted to read for a long time. My goal for the year is to complete 20 series and I've completed 19 with a good mix of old and new. I'm doing a good job of not losing sight of new series I start.

message 28: by Jonetta (new)

Laura wrote: "1. Did I complete or get up to date on any series?
Up to date-no
Ruin and RevengeRocco
This Man With This Man..."

Wow, you had a productive month! Great job.

You’re so right about Love and Other Words and thanks for buddy discussing it with me. Loved it.

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2344 comments Jonetta wrote: "Laura wrote: "1. Did I complete or get up to date on any series?
Up to date-no
Ruin and RevengeRocco
This Man [book:With This..."

Thanks and back at you for that buddy read, I enjoyed talking about that book with you.
Also congrats on your reading month, and enjoying your books. I think maybe at Christmas you should give Lauren Layne another go with An Ex For Christmas. I loved that one.

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2344 comments Lauren wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Yes
I finished Sookie Stackhouse which I dedicated about 18 months to reading. I am pleased with the way that it ended. Very sati..."

Congrats on finishing Sookie. I'm glad you liked how it ended.

message 31: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2604 comments ~ Giulia ~ wrote: "I'm sorry you had a lot of mediocre books this month :(
Murder on Marble Row was my favourite in the series so far! "

It's my favorite too. This series just gets better and better.

message 32: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2604 comments Jonetta wrote: "Sorry about the mediocre reading experiences. At least you made great progress in your series reading. Bummer news about the Peter May trilogy. I’ve got them on my shelf."

The Peter May book just didn't have enough mystery for me. You may end up liking this series. Lots of other people loved it. I can say it was well-written.

message 33: by Jonetta (new)

Laura wrote: "I think maybe at Christmas you should give Lauren Layne another go with An Ex For Christmas. I loved that one..."

I’ve got the Oxford series to try first. (I just can’t read out of order knowingly:))

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2344 comments Jonetta wrote: "Laura wrote: "I think maybe at Christmas you should give Lauren Layne another go with An Ex For Christmas. I loved that one..."

I’ve got the Oxford series to try first. (I just can’t read out of o..."

In that case the Stiletto series comes first. I've only read #2 in that one. I need to go back. I totally went out of order.

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Jonetta wrote: "And, I read so many standalones, more than I ever have in any one month (9!).."

That's fantastic, Jonetta!
I've also been getting some standalones in. I tend to forget about them in my challenge to continue with my series reads, but there are so many good ones out there :)

message 36: by Lauren (new)

Laura wrote: "Congrats on finishing Sookie. I'm glad you liked how it ended."

Thanks Laura. Now I have to continue with Harris's Midnight Texas series. I really enjoy her writing.

message 37: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2549 comments Sorry ladies I just watched the series. Don't know if I'll ever read the books which I know it so much better than the tv shows. Now I'm hoping they make the section no series of Midnight, Texas.

Also it seems a few of you did rereads. Was it just needing to read a favorite or reset for the next 6 months?

message 38: by ~ Giulia ~ (new)

~ Giulia ~ | 104 comments Michelle wrote: "Also it seems a few of you did rereads. Was it just needing to read a favorite or reset for the next 6 months?"

In my case it was a bit of both I guess. I had wanted to reread those books for months but was always getting sidetracked by challenges and shiny new books; so I decided to slow down for a month and finally get around to read them. I still have a few I haven't had time to reread but they're more than 1000 pages each...

message 39: by Lauren (new)

Michelle wrote: "Sorry ladies I just watched the series...."

I watched the first episode and it was so different from the book that I stopped.

message 40: by Jonetta (new)

Lauren wrote: "I've also been getting some standalones in. I tend to forget about them in my challenge to continue with my series reads, but there are so many good ones out there :)..."

It made such a difference in the quality of my reading experience. I’m going to try to maintain balance going forward.

message 41: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 558 comments @Lauren--I loved the Lisa Kleypas' Travis books. The second one is my favorite but I haven't read the last one yet.

message 42: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 558 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Nope...as a matter of fact I don't think I read anything that was listed on my master Series list.

Yes...And I'll continue them (for now)
The Max Revere series by Allison Brennan
The Cutler, Sutter, and Salinas series by Jayne Ann Krentz
The Angie Pallorino series by Loreth Anne White
Swift River Valley series by Carla Neggers

Yes...the 3 group ones...
Throne of Glass
Gaslight Mystery
Rizzoli/Isles

None of the ones I chose one my own were standouts but the group reads are proving to be outstanding.

I ended up reading 12 books. This is such a large number for me since last year I think I only read 17 books for the entire year. There were only a couple books I wished I would have passed up so overall, a great month.

message 43: by Jonetta (new)

Christina T wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Nope...as a matter of fact I don't think I read anything that was listed on my master Series list.

2. Did you start any new seri..."

Major congrats, Christina, for reading 12 books! It’s been wonderful reading your reviews, which I’ve missed. And, love your participation in the group discussions.

message 44: by Lauren (new)

Christina T wrote: "@Lauren--I loved the Lisa Kleypas' Travis books. The second one is my favorite but I haven't read the last one yet."

I'm going to try and fit it in this month. Rene Raudman is the narrator and I absolutely adore her!

message 45: by Lauren (new)

Christina T wrote: "5. Overall summary of your reading month?
I ended up reading 12 books. This is such a large number for me since last year I think I only read 17 books for the entire year. ."

Christina, you are getting your reading groove back ;)

message 46: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 558 comments Lol well I start back to work in a couple of weeks so my available reading time will get cut but I'm hoping to continue this new trend. It's been far to long since I've enjoyed reading this much.

message 47: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1211 comments Lauren wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Sorry ladies I just watched the series...."

I watched the first episode and it was so different from the book that I stopped."

It was the same for me, I was watching it with my sister and could only comment on all the things that where "wrong".

message 48: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1211 comments A bit late because I was away.

I completed The Spellwright Trilogy by Blake Charlton with Spellbreaker

*shock* No new series */shock* ;)

I moved forward in 5 series:
Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
Berättelser från Engelsfors by Mats Strandberg
In the Labyrinth of Drakes by Marie Brennan
The Trouble with Demons by Lisa Shearin
Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

I gave 5 stars to Crown of Midnight, really enjoying this series.

I read 10 books. 2 I didn't enjoy a lot, but all the others where enjoable to very good.

Spellbreaker (Spellwright, #3) by Blake Charlton Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare Berättelser från Engelsfors (Engelsfors, #2.5) by Mats Strandberg In the Labyrinth of Drakes (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #4) by Marie Brennan The Trouble with Demons (Raine Benares #3) by Lisa Shearin Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) by Sarah J. Maas