Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > September 2018 New School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2383 comments September 2018 New School group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

Please take note of the nomination rules!

1.) Books that have already been featured as group reads are not eligible for nomination. Bookshelf

2.) Eligible publication dates for books are 1900-1999.

3.) Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to each poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

4.) Only one nomination or one second per member. will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

4a.) A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier to moderator to track changes.

5.) Only one book per author, In the event of more than one book by the same author is nominated, only the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

5a.) Same author-multiple categories The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

6.) Nominations will remain open until the 14th of the month. Polls will open on the 16th and run until the last day of the month.

message 3: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2383 comments BAM wrote: "I nominate The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay"

BAM, that was first published in 2000, so it's not eligible for a group read. You could do a buddy read of it if others are interested as well.

message 4: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma Was it really? I thought it was older!! My apologies!

message 6: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5129 comments Mod
The Great Gatsby has been read by the group twice, but is eligible for nomination in the Revisit nominations

Contemporary Classic Group Read, December 2011
Revisit the Shelf Reread, January 2015

message 7: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma Well boo I totally missed that! I will find something I swear.

message 8: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristina3880) I would like to nominate Cocaine Nights byJ.G. Ballard

message 9: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma How about I nominate Swallows and Amazons

message 10: by Leslie (last edited Jul 01, 2018 07:51AM) (new)

message 11: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) Leslie wrote: "Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang (562 pages, 1991)"

I second this.

message 12: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 74 comments I nominate Fatherland Fatherland by Robert Harris by Robert Harris

message 13: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 805 comments I nominate We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. 225 pages and published in 1924.

message 14: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3423 comments I'd like to nominate Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin 272 pages 1989

message 15: by Jehona (new)

message 16: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) | 452 comments Jehona wrote: "I nominate Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco."

I second Foucault's Pendulum.

message 17: by Tina (new)

Tina | 117 comments Marilyn wrote: "I nominate We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. 225 pages and published in 1924."

I second this!

message 18: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 799 comments I would like to nominate Shadows on the Rock by Willa Cather

message 19: by Francisca (new)

Francisca | 368 comments I'll second Swallows and Amazons

message 20: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Since Light in August by William Faulkner came in second in last month's poll I will nominate it again.

message 21: by Angie (new)

Angie | 604 comments Janet wrote: "Since Light in August by William Faulkner came in second in last month's poll I will nominate it again."

I second this.

message 22: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Angie wrote: "Janet wrote: "Since Light in August by William Faulkner came in second in last month's poll I will nominate it again."

I second this."

Thanks, Angie.

message 23: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma Francisca wrote: "I'll second Swallows and Amazons"

Thank you!

message 24: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2877 comments Candi wrote: "I would like to nominate Shadows on the Rock by Willa Cather"

I'll second this one. I love Willa Cather and need to read more of her!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 577 comments Luffy wrote: "Jehona wrote: "I nominate Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco."

I second Foucault's Pendulum."

I will also second this one.

message 26: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 799 comments Thank you, Terris :)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I nominate Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad.

message 28: by Jess (new)

message 29: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 131 comments I'll second Swallows and Amazons.

message 30: by Nix (new)

Nix | 112 comments Sue wrote: "I'd like to nominate Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin 272 pages 1989"

I second Tales of the City.

message 31: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2383 comments Jess wrote: "I nominate To Kill a Mockingbird"

I'm sorry. This was first read in 2014 and revisited in 2016, so it's not eligible for this category. You can nominate it for a revisit, though.

message 32: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3423 comments Nix wrote: "Sue wrote: "I'd like to nominate Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin 272 pages 1989"

I second Tales of the City."

Thanks Nix!

message 33: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 62 comments Oops I was looking for it under K not T! Can I change my nomination to Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit?

message 34: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2383 comments Jess wrote: "Oops I was looking for it under K not T! Can I change my nomination to Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit?"

Sure, that works.

message 35: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 805 comments Tina wrote: "Marilyn wrote: "I nominate We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. 225 pages and published in 1924."

I second this!"

Thanks, Tina!

message 36: by Brina (last edited Jul 02, 2018 04:16PM) (new)

Brina I will second Shadows on the Rock.

message 37: by Carlo (new)

Carlo | 206 comments I’ll second Swallows and Amazons. Loved the film when I was younger. Real childhood fun and innocence.

message 38: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 141 comments Janet wrote: "Since Light in August by William Faulkner came in second in last month's poll I will nominate it again."

Another second!

message 39: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Cline I nominate I, Claudius by Robert Graves.

message 40: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Bárbara wrote: "Janet wrote: "Since Light in August by William Faulkner came in second in last month's poll I will nominate it again."

Another second!"

Thanks, Barbara

message 41: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 799 comments Brina wrote: "I will second Shadows on the Rock."

Thanks, Brina :)

message 42: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9901 comments Mod
Vicki wrote: "I nominate I, Claudius by Robert Graves."

I'll second that

message 43: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 885 comments Janet wrote: "Since Light in August by William Faulkner came in second in last month's poll I will nominate it again."

I second Light in August by William Faulkner

message 44: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 576 comments I'd like to nominate The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman - a little different, but very worthwhile.

message 45: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Matt wrote: "Janet wrote: "Since Light in August by William Faulkner came in second in last month's poll I will nominate it again."

I second Light in August by [author:W..."

Thanks, Matt

message 46: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma Carlo wrote: "I’ll second Swallows and Amazons. Loved the film when I was younger. Real childhood fun and innocence."

Kimberly wrote: "I'll second Swallows and Amazons."

Thanks you two

message 47: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1857 comments Aprilleigh wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman - a little different, but very worthwhile."

I read it many years ago, and it made quite an impression. Now that you mention it, I would like to re-read it. Also I like different-from-the-norm nominations.

In short: I second.

message 48: by Darren (last edited Jul 03, 2018 06:30AM) (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 2018 comments Jess wrote: "Oops I was looking for it under K not T! Can I change my nomination to Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit?"

I second Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit
Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson

I've only read one book by Jeanette Winterson so far (The Passion) which I loved, so keen for more
not to mention the fact that I've already bought a copy of Oranges... ;o)
(cue opportunity to show off cover of special edition: https://images.gr-assets.com/photos/1... )
oh, and she's a Manc
oh and she recently gave this cracking lecture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zULPq...
(on women's rights, not books)

message 49: by CluckingBell (new)

CluckingBell | 25 comments I'll second The Complete Maus.

message 50: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4209 comments I second Tales of the City. Such fun!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.