Classic Trash discussion

The Lathe of Heaven
This topic is about The Lathe of Heaven
The Lathe of Heaven > The Lathe of Heaven: Finished (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adelaide Blair | 1016 comments Mod
This topic is for those who have finished the book. Please feel free to spoil away!

Adelaide Blair | 1016 comments Mod
So, I enjoyed this more than the other two Le Guin books I've read in the past year (A Wizard of Earthsea and The Left Hand of Darkness), but I still have a hard time feeling sympathy for her characters. I dunno what it is, maybe they're just too dry for me. Or maybe it's the fact that almost all the people in these three books are male (or mostly male-identified.) My favorite character in this book was Heather, and I found myself dismayed to see her lose her spark as the book went on. My favorite Heather is at the beginning of the book. She is a dangerous spider of a woman and revels in her sharpness. By the end, she is still prickly, but still a lesser version of herself. (But much better than the fearful wife.)

Aside from all of that, I thought the central idea was interesting, and I liked that George could dream up a race of aliens that could help him understand how his dreaming worked.

I appreciated this book's ideas more than I enjoyed it, but there's a lot here to think about.

Sarah (sarahmott) | 352 comments Ha! Fantastically done. A wonderful eastern parable set in the west. It was interesting to follow the shifting geography of my home town too - Le Guin stays pretty true to local landmarks and buildings. Seriously, though, if I walked into an antique store downtown, and a large turtle came out of the woodwork and said, "DO YOU WISH TO PURCHASE AN OBJECT?" I probably wouldn't waste a lot of astonishment...not in good old Portland.