What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Book about half-Salish (native Canadian) girl trying to find her way adult novel non-fiction. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shawna (new)

Shawna | 1 comments I read this book back in 2007, it was a huge book. Thick and large. Non-Fiction Adults/young adult book. I have been trying for years to find it. I am 80% sure it is set in BC, 100% sure it is set in Canada.
Prologue is a native-Canadian woman in a Salish tribe giving birth to a baby girl in a birthing tent. Thunderstorm outside, the sound of a crow above (possibly a wolf howling, animal was significant to their beliefs) the story follows the girl born. Mother is single, later in story you find out father is a French fur trader she fell in love with.
The girl is sort of a shaman/healer for her tribe.
Later scene: Young girl is friends with a boy, they get stuck on beach with tide coming in and they have to climb the cliff to escape drowning)
Later scene: girl (now a woman) hears her mother with her father once again, years later, and is angry with her mother.
Later in book: girl decided to leave her tribe to “find herself” so to speak and winds up in a school for aboriginal girls. They make her get rid of all her native things and ban her from telling her native stories, which she does anyways. Finally she leaves the school and lives with a Caucasian family and serves the family, who’s father had passed away before she meets them. She will eventually fall in love with the son/man of the house but she has a dream and has to go back to her tribe. She does this and sees she is no longer needed there and goes back to the family who has accepted her as one of their own. She collapses before reaching the house from pneumonia but the boy sees her. The family then frantically get her warm and take care of her until she is better.
Unfortunately, I can’t remember much past this point, I believe it has a happy endings day she winds up with the boy. I’ve searched for this book for a very long time. It was lost in one of my moves and it was one of my favourites. If anyone can help please let me know, I have asked staff at Chapters, librarians, and googled and searched but I have so far come up empty-handed.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Jul 02, 2018 09:55AM) (new)

Kris | 36623 comments Mod
Shawna, any chance this is a fiction book?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40687 comments Mod
Shawna, are you still looking for this or did you find it?