Reading the Detectives discussion

The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #5)
This topic is about The Mystery of the Blue Train
Poirot Buddy Reads > Poirot Buddy Read 7: The Mystery of the Blue Train

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jessica | 377 comments Poirot boards a train...

I don't know about you, but I don't really need more information to look forward to reading this one! But there's more: apparently, it's based on one of the short stories we just read: "The Plymouth Express" (in Poirot's Early Cases), and it has the very first mention of St. Mary's Mead...

Enjoy!

message 2: by Susan (last edited Jul 01, 2018 06:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan | 10512 comments Mod
I am about halfway through this and enjoying it a lot so far. Looking forward to discussing it when finished, but there is something about long train journeys from that era which are quite a romantic setting...

Roman Clodia | 902 comments I'm also about halfway through my re-read: I remembered this as one of my favourite Christies and that's holding up so far - maybe it's the glamour of luxury trains, jewels and the French riviera.

Frances (francesab) | 413 comments Yes, all sorts of reasons why I've enjoyed this novel-now over to the spoiler section...

Tara  | 831 comments I read this one last month when it became available at my library, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details (I should start taking notes), but I do recall enjoying the characters and storyline. Another home run for Christie!

Jessica | 377 comments I started the book today (fittingly on a train ride). Did you see the dedication?

Christie's dedication in the book reads: "To the two distinguished members of the O.F.D. – Carlotta and Peter".

Really made me wonder what the OFD could be... apparently it mentions the two who stood by Agatha in the turmoil around her disappearance and divorce. Charlotte Fisher was her secretary and Rosalind's governess. And Peter? Well, who other than man's best friend? Her dog.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I picked this up at the library yesterday to start next, but "next" might be the end of the week.

Jessica wrote: "I started the book today (fittingly on a train ride). Did you see the dedication?

Christie's dedication in the book reads: "To the two distinguished members of the O.F.D. – Carlotta and Peter". ..."

Yes, according to the Agatha Christie website, "O.F.D. stood for Order of the Faithful Dogs and both Carlotta, hired by Christie as a secretary and Rosalind's governess, and Peter, Rosalind's much loved dog were in that camp as opposed to the Order of the Faithless Rats who had turned away from her".

Robin I've just begun rereading this, and enjoying it far more because it is being discussed here. I like the observations about human nature. For example, the avoidance of the company of someone to whom one has unburdened oneself. Of course, in this context, it could be a way of hiding an imposter? Clever plotting if it is. We get the back story as well as an explanation for the absence of Ruth from the next meal. In addition, it makes the Poirot scene more feasible too. So many uses to which one scenario is put. Impressive.

Jessica | 377 comments I'm enjoying this one so much! The settings are lovely, the conversations just flow and I am at a total loss who actually did it and why.

Reading all these Poirot books it really makes me smile whenever he takes a minute, or sometimes more, to respond to something. I know it's an expression, but somehow I always picture everyone in the room holding their breaths intently waiting for his reply. You'll see from now on, you'll notice how often this expression (or variations on it) is used.

message 11: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2176 comments This was a reread for me and surprising I could remember all the details. I did enjoy it , but not as much as the ones that still hold some mystery for me. I suppose that should be an encouragement to getting older,when memories become more hazy.😀

Adrian | 136 comments I thoroughly enjoyed this; the settings, the characters and of course Poirot, and at least I'm up to date with one challenge, although I've just discovered I have no Black Coffee

Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7) by Charles Osborne

(My complete set of Agatha Christie is proving very incomplete !! )

Black Coffee was a later novelisation of a play. Although the Christie estate demanded her name be emblazoned on the cover, it was adapted by Charles Osborne. A lot of fans were unhappy with it and, although I read it when it came out, I can't remember much about it now. Not sure if that's a good, or bad, thing!

message 14: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 9408 comments Mod
It is possible to buy the play script in paperback if anyone prefers. Not sure if there is also a film of Black Coffee?

Jessica | 377 comments Yes, Adrian's comment also got me thinking. I was going for the novilisation, but of course you could also read the play script. I haven't done any research yet and don't know how many liberties Osborne takes. There are appearantly a couple of film adaptations too, nothing recent though.