Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

The Curse of Chalion (World of the Five Gods, #1)
This topic is about The Curse of Chalion
Monthly Reading: Discussion > July 2018 "The Curse of Chalion" Discussion <No Spoilers>

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Group Read #10

message 2: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kateblue | 4070 comments Mod
Please know in advance that I just read these last November, so I am not reading them again right now. But I will be waiting, with bated breath, to discuss.

message 3: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Jul 01, 2018 03:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Make sure you read this one FIRST. The Paladin of Souls is second.

You could read Paladin of Souls first, but you will not understand the background as well.

message 4: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
I started this yesterday while I was getting some chores down (ahhh, the best part of audiobooks!).

I'm about 14% of the way through it and every sentence just makes me love it that much more. Caz is a very relatable character and the subtlety the author uses to build up on his history is wonderful to read.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the book and I'm pretty excited that Ms. Bujold has 11 books on our list!

message 5: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 5 stars

11 books? That's because this book, tho great, is not as good as many of the others.

message 6: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
I'm having a hard time putting this book down. It is very easy to get lost in the story. Of course, I love that the main character is a damaged introvert who has a forbidden love interest...

message 7: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Jul 05, 2018 01:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

glad you like it, I always like to turn people on to Bujold. She's my favorite

And as you can see by the number of awards and nominations, I am not alone

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 850 comments Mod
I regretted at first I had voted for this series, since the first 30 pages or so didn't feel too promising. There was too much description of scenery - a problem with fantasy books since Tolkien. But I persevered, and luckily my first impressions were deceiving. I'm now on page 100 and now wholly immersed in the book.

message 9: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Jul 07, 2018 12:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Antti, I agree, the first time I tried to read Chalion I put it down for just that reason. But it is great, and the second book is even better IMHO

OK, I will stop raving about my fav author now . . . I promise

message 10: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Jul 07, 2018 06:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Antti wrote: "I regretted at first I had voted for this series, since the first 30 pages or so didn't feel too promising. There was too much description of scenery - a problem with fantasy books since Tolkien. B..."

I haven't had the foggiest what this novel was about when I first opened the book, haven't read a single review nor had I even fleetingly glanced over its synopsis. From the first few paragraphs the quality of writing is screaming at you, not knowing where the story was going didn't feel like a handicap at all.

One thing that kept me flipping through the pages was the main character, who rings much of Zelazny's protagonists (which for me is one of the highest praises I can bestow). And though the story didn't exactly go where I imagined it would go, it remains engaging, entertaining, unpredictable to a point.

I'm only at the beginning but already looking forward to what this series's got to offer. Besides that, truly glad to have discovered this talented author, thanks a bunch to the person who nominated this read.

message 11: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oleksandr Zholud | 3991 comments Mod
I just finished it and I liked it very much. Plan to continue with the series

message 12: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Oleksandr wrote: "I just finished it and I liked it very much. Plan to continue with the series"

Still but a quarter of my way through the book and I can't get enough of Cazaril. Intrigues of the court slightly less so, might be just that I'm not seeing the big picture yet. All that being said, I enjoy the book and am definitely planning on reading the series.

message 13: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Finished reading the novel after a week of stalling.

A definite must-read for fans of the genre and a solid recommendation for those that dabble in visiting realms of fantasy every now and then. Author has managed to surprise me more than once, even some of the concepts that might have been borrowed are presented brilliantly, in a bright new light of author's unmistakable talent.

message 14: by LuthienDillon (new)

LuthienDillon | 24 comments Impatiently waiting for my print copy to arrive. ;-)

message 15: by LuthienDillon (new)

LuthienDillon | 24 comments LuthienDillon wrote: "Impatiently waiting for my print copy to arrive. ;-)"

My book seems to have gone astray in the delivery process. It's a pity , because from what you guys write, it really sounds like a great fantasy series. Well, I 'll have to read it later, I suppose.