Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

The Curse of Chalion (World of the Five Gods, #1)
This topic is about The Curse of Chalion
Monthly Reading: Discussion > July 2018 "The Curse of Chalion" Discussion <Caution! Spoilers May Be Present!>

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Group Read #10

message 2: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
I just got to the part where Caz finds out the boy he saved on the slave ship is alive and well! That was a good scene! Honestly didn't see it coming either!

message 3: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kateblue | 4060 comments Mod
Me too neither.

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 850 comments Mod
Yeah, it was unexpected, and so well executed. It could've been completely unplausible coincidence, but instead McMaster Bujold makes the unbelievability of the event a crucial plot point: Caz realizes then, how long the goddess has interfered and influenced his destiny.

message 5: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Lois McMaster Bujold is amazing at surprising the reader and tying up all the loose ends with a neat ribbon. Even the interaction between the Five Gods makes perfect sense, which furthermore enriches the world building.

message 6: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Did anyone else feel like the novel could use more of Dowager Provincara's appearance? She seemed like an interesting character who set quite a few things in motion at the beginning but then got thrown out of the book completely.

In contrast, Iselle seemed to have matured waaa~y to quickly and dominated a lot of the book. A snobby (even if bright and brilliant student) student who got scolded by her teacher for acting out without thinking, two months later (half of which was just festivals and revelry) and she just can't seem to do anything wrong. I loved the character, don't get me wrong, almost every scene with her was enjoyable to read, I just didn't follow the transformation of a 16-year-old brat into a monarch-to-be who is absolutely correct at everything she says or does. Could be that she was also god-touched or whatever the case...

message 7: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kateblue | 4060 comments Mod
Hmm . . . I see what you mean. I read this last November, though, so I may need some input to discuss this properly. Was there an instigating act? Like did she suddenly have to take responsibility? Or was it because of something Caz did? I remember that he took a big risk of dying to cure her of the miasma that hung over her and her family? Maybe with that removed, she was able to mature as she had not been able to before?

message 8: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Well, the only catalyst I can think of is the urgency of going ahead with the plot, it is not a big deal to be honest. I just felt like it was a shame to have missed the development of as an intriguing character as Iselle was.

As for Provincara, I just love a strong matriarch character. Downton Abbey's Dowager Wassername, played by the amazing Maggy Smith must've been my favourite character.

Just to refresh your memory of the novel, the miasma you are referring came into play in the end of the book, that was the curse of Chalion they worked hard to remove.

I truly enjoyed the book, some of the scenes were simply fantastic. Even the whole idea behind the duality of our world and the spiritual world was pulled off so well, that it actually fit into the plot. Three deaths of Caz opening a gap wide enough for Godess to pull the curse off the house of Chalion... Brilliant.

The only negative comment I could leave (if I had to) regarding the pacing, some of the explanations were way redundant. Cazaril must've explained three or four plot point to four of five different persons EACH. If only that could've been streamlined a little bit, maybe the middle of the book would be just as exciting as the rest of it.