Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

Paladin of Souls (World of the Five Gods, #2)
This topic is about Paladin of Souls
Monthly Reading: Discussion > July 2018 "The Paladin of Souls" Discussion <No Spoilers>

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Group Read #11

message 2: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kateblue | 4070 comments Mod
Please know in advance that I just read these last November, so I am not reading them again right now. But I will be waiting, with bated breath, to discuss.

message 3: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Jul 01, 2018 03:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Make sure you read this one SECOND. The Curse of Chalion is first.

You could read Paladin of Souls first, but you will not understand the background as well.

message 4: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
I started this one a few days ago and I'm loving it as much as The Curse of Chalion (CoC), but I seem to be reading this one a bit slower. I think it's because I'm not as in love with the main character as I was with Caz. Don't get me wrong...I like Ista well enough, but I adored Caz.

I'm only about 20% into the book. I do like the subtle nobs to her reads by not recapping everything from CoC. She, the author of course, respects the intelligent of her readers and leaves the history between characters unspoken as it was already talked about in CoC.

message 5: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 5 stars

When I started Paladin, I was annoyed because I wanted more Cas. It might have been around 20% when I suddenly fell in love with it.

There's a point in the book I can point to and go . . . there, that's where it gets to be my favorite. We will see if you find that same spot, also.

message 6: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oleksandr Zholud | 3991 comments Mod
I am about to start it and it intrigues me that the main protagonist is changed. For me this is a good thing because it was clear in the last book that the story of Caz is over.

message 7: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Bryan wrote: "I started this one a few days ago and I'm loving it as much as The Curse of Chalion (CoC), but I seem to be reading this one a bit slower. I think it's because I'm not as in love with the main char..."

Enjoying the read so far, I agree that the subtlety behind recapping of the events passed is flawless, not blunt enough to draw yawns but also told from Ista's perspective which tells also some things about herself and the world around her.

So far the pacing is good too, just as the writing is.

message 8: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
The novel keeps surprising me at every turn, the events, the characters even the plot itself. I also find it better written than the first novel.