Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Demons
This topic is about Demons
Fyodor Dostoyevsky Collection > Demons - NO spoilers

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments This is our Old School Classic Group Read for July 2018.

Please use this thread for general, spoiler free discussion of Demons by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

This book has also been published under the titles The Possessed and The Devils

If you wish to discuss the plot in more detail, then please use the spoiler thread here

If you would like a free copy of the book, here are some links for e-book and audio versions:

Project Gutenberg

Librivox

I cannot find this book for free on Amazon, but these are the cheapest copies I found Amazon UK or Amazon.com

Happy reading!

message 2: by J_BlueFlower (last edited Jul 06, 2018 12:54AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1857 comments I have been looking forward to reading Demons. I hope to start reading later this month or maybe in August. I will read it. Since reading Crime and Punishment a few years ago, I started more or less systematically reading trough everything by Dostoyevsky.

I will read it in Danish, and if there are any Danes here notice that ereolen has it in both ebook and audio.

message 3: by Bat-Cat (new) - added it

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments I am also looking forward to reading Demons and hope to start by next week. Because of the length of this book. I am certain that it will take me at least 2 months to get through. Perhaps I will just consider it my quarterly read. :-)

Carlo | 206 comments It took me 4 months to read and I just couldn’t get into it at all. Not sure if it was the translation or the story.

message 5: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) | 9893 comments Mod
I'd like to read this one, but just don't have the time in the summer for it.

message 6: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2383 comments Here's the free US Kindle edition: https://www.amazon.com/Possessed-Devi...

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm hoping to read this next after All Quiet on the Western Front which I'm starting today - I hope don't get too weary reading two such serious books in a row!

I bought a collection of Dostoyevsky's stories on Kindle for a couple of pounds so if like me you intend to read a lot of his works it might work out cheaper overall.

message 8: by Stephen (last edited Jul 08, 2018 02:46PM) (new)

Stephen | 2 comments I think project Gutenberg has over 57,000 ebooks free to read and download. I'm pretty sure most of Dostoevsky's works are there.

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1857 comments Stephen wrote: "I think project Gutenberg has over 57,000 ebooks free to read and download. I'm pretty sure most of Dostoevsky's works are there."

For instance: See the link in the first post ;-)

message 10: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 2 comments Oops

message 11: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark André Carlo wrote: "It took me 4 months to read and I just couldn’t get into it at all. Not sure if it was the translation or the story."

For me, it was the hardest of his books to plow through! - )

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a book that I really want to read, but now that I'm reading it, I am struggling to keep motivated to keep reading. For no other reason that it is long & daunting.

I do want to finish it but I'm not sure how long this will take.

message 13: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark André Dostoyevsky is a daunting task. You need to want to see how the story turns out to keep turning over the pages. - )

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1857 comments Or fall in love with his unique psychological dialogue.

My first Dostoyevsky was Crime and Punishment and there really is very little suspense in that story.

BTW still have not started reading. I will start after All Quiet on the Western Front.

message 15: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sara (phantomswife) | 6121 comments Mod
I have started and intend to take it very slowly. I have done the first chapter, which is not enough to really get a feel. I am hoping this is not as difficult for me as The Brothers Karamazov.

message 16: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark André I don't understand. How did this book win the election when nobody wants to read it? - )

message 17: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 2 stars

I am reading it, Mark, but very slowly. Perhaps other people will join in August.

message 18: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark André Cool! It is not an easy read, but certainly worth the effort. I was just curious where all those that voted for it went? - )

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

The description intrigued me, but going against my better "judgement" (it is Russian Literature after all) voted for it. I'm trying to get through it though.

Maybe this would have been more appropriate for a long read.

message 20: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark André Pam wrote: "The description intrigued me, but going against my better "judgement" (it is Russian Literature after all) voted for it. I'm trying to get through it though.

Maybe this would have been more appro..."

I agree. I think it would be well served by a three month schedule. - )

message 21: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 2 stars

It will take me that long to read it, I'm sure. I actually thought it was the long read when it won and knew I would not be getting through it in July. Not a great summer choice.

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1857 comments I very much want to read it. I will start as soon as I finish All Quiet on the Western Front I will probably be reading it all August.

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1857 comments I have started. A little bit late in July...