Mental Health Bookclub discussion

Words on Bathroom Walls
This topic is about Words on Bathroom Walls
2018 Group Reads - MH Fiction > July fiction: Words on Bathroom Walls

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Di (new) - rated it 4 stars

Di | 391 comments Mod
In July our fiction topic is schizophrenia. I have chosen Words on Bathroom Walls by Julia Walton.
Words on Bathroom Walls by Julia Walton

Please use this thread to post questions and comments at any time.
Also looking forward to everyone's opinion on the portrayal of mental illness: what seemed realistic and what seemed too unrealistic.

Blurb:
"Adam has just been diagnosed with schizophrenia. He sees and hears people who aren’t there: Rebecca, a beautiful girl who understands him; the Mob Boss, who harasses him; and Jason, the naked guy who’s unfailingly polite. It should be easy to separate the real from the not real, but Adam can't.

Still, there’s hope. As Adam starts fresh at a new school, he begins a drug trial that helps him ignore his visions. Suddenly everything seems possible, even love. When he meets Maya, a fiercely intelligent girl, he desperately wants to be the great guy that she thinks he is. But then the miracle drug begins to fail, and Adam will do anything to keep Maya from discovering his secret."

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments I am waiting on the book from the library again. It was taken off the hold shelf earlier then it was supposed to. Nothing is perfect. 📚🇺🇸

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments It has to be me. I still not getting into it. It is me. I am going try again late tonight.

My apologizes.

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim (flychickadee) | 32 comments Mod
I'm about half through and so far I really like it.

I think the POV it's written from is really interesting. And oh Adam, I just want to give him a hug and tell him everything is going to be ok.

I don't personally have the experience of the stigma with schizophrenia, but I would imagine it can be awful due to a lot of miseducation and stereotypes.

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just finished it!

I loved it. I am so glad I joined this group and picked the book up; I don't think I would have ever heard of it if not for this group.

Words on Bathroom Walls profoundly impacted me. I didn't want it to end, but the length of the book and how it fits into a teenager timeline is perfection.

I loved it so much that I might reread it for my "reread an old favorite" for the treasure map challenge in this group.

Anyone else reading/read this yet?

message 6: by Di (new) - rated it 4 stars

Di | 391 comments Mod
I read it and liked it too. It showed how hard it is living with such a diagnosis, how people don't trust you sometimes (with babies). But what really made it memorable was the hopefulness in the end. It wasn't gloomy at all.

message 7: by Di (new) - rated it 4 stars

Di | 391 comments Mod
in August we are reading nonfiction book about schizophrenia and I have to warn you guys, that book has entirely different tone and outcome.

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments Glad you guys enjoy it! I finish it earlier today. I have mix motions but I agree it a good book. That does not make any logical sense. But for me to really explain, I have to explain my past. I am not strong to do that. Life can be wirst.

Mahalo for the heads up Di!

Be well,
Alwaysdaddygirl 🤙🇺🇸

message 9: by RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (last edited Aug 11, 2018 07:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments I was finally able to do a short review on this book:

I struggled with this book. The first few times I hate it. There are countless things about this book I question.

However, the stigma associated with having a mental illness is correct. That is why I kept at this book. I also like the ending for it was realistic. This is why I give it four stars.

Be well,
Alwaysdaddygirl
🇺🇸🤙

message 10: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

RM-

If you don't mind me asking, what are some of the things you questioned in the book? If that feels like an invasive question feel free not to respond :) just trying to see a different perspective than mine on this read!

And yes, I so agree with stigma piece. The author did a really good job developing all of the characters around this and showing many reactions that ranged from ones filled with stigma to well, the opposite.

*kim

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments Kim wrote: "RM-

If you don't mind me asking, what are some of the things you questioned in the book? If that feels like an invasive question feel free not to respond :) just trying to see a different perspect..."

Aloha Kim,

Mahalo for the kind way you said it! I suck at social stuff so I try my best.

I understand he is a teenager. Every teenager is different. I had mental illness ( not properly diagnosis) when I was a teenager and I went through grief. So the comment he said about grief shook me.
I think it like two seperate hells you have to battle with. Those battlea are grief and then having a mental illness.

Are you looking forward to the movie coming out? If I may ask, how did it impact you?

Let me pull the back so I can be better understood. Give me a few days, please.

If I may🤗🇺🇸

message 12: by Di (new) - rated it 4 stars

Di | 391 comments Mod
oh my God, I didn't know there was a movie coming out soon. So excited!

message 13: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Di wrote: "oh my God, I didn't know there was a movie coming out soon. So excited!"

I had no idea there was a movie coming out either! So excited!!!

message 14: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl/Salemwitch) wrote: "Kim wrote: "RM-

If you don't mind me asking, what are some of the things you questioned in the book? If that feels like an invasive question feel free not to respond :) just trying to see a differ..."

The thing you said about having to battle the mental illness and also battle the grief is so real to me. It's a really hard duo to juggle and at times accepting myself for who I am (how my brain works) and grieving the ways my life is different because of that is paralyzing to me.

I don't have schizophrenia, but I do have severe mental health diagnoses. I really connected with Adam on feeling like you have to hide to be accepted, being scared of every corner for whatever reason, having your one thing that calms you; it's all so spot on. I just wanted to crawl through the page and give Adam a hug and let him know it's going to be ok.

I do feel if I had read this as a teenager (I was not diagnosed until my early 20s but had been dealing with mental health issues since childhood) I would have really had a lot of hope that things would end up ok. The beginning of the book is so stressful and real remembering what it's like to feel like you have to hide from the world, and also when things unfold it's so tender that his friends and family react the way they do in the most supportive ways.

*kim

Kaleria I just finished this book, and while there was a lot I liked (and I found it to be a fun read) I guess it's made me want to read the reviews more than most books do.

In the final Author's Note, Walton announces that the book was 'loosely based' on research and she took 'a great deal of creative license' in describing Adam's symptoms. That disappointed me. Because, on the one hand it might just be self-protection to add that disclaimer and maybe she did try hard to be accurate. But then again, it also sounds like she just liked the idea of a schizophrenic character and allowed herself to write schizophrenia however she wanted. And that just... isn't right. Especially after her own character talked about how sad it was to see art by a schizophrenic artist being explained by someone else. "I don't want someone else who has no idea what their work means to speak for him. He probably spent the rest of his pathetic life trying to get people to listen to him. But they wouldn't because he was crazy. So he painted instead. And rather than let him tell someone exactly what his work meant, they send some lady with a BA in art history and a green blazer to do it." (215-216) I think that's what's bothering me most about the book: the way the Author's Note felt like it suddenly revealed her as the lady in the green blazer.

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments Kim wrote: "RM(Alwaysdaddygirl/Salemwitch) wrote: "Kim wrote: "RM-

If you don't mind me asking, what are some of the things you questioned in the book? If that feels like an invasive question feel free not to..."

My apologizes for the delay. That is very deep. You have courage to do that. It really cool for you to share. I did not mean to put you in the spot( you did not say this but I realized now my mistake🤦‍♀️.)

Again, Mahalo!

If I may, 🤗

🇺🇸🤙

message 17: by RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (last edited Aug 27, 2018 06:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments Kaleria wrote: "I just finished this book, and while there was a lot I liked (and I found it to be a fun read) I guess it's made me want to read the reviews more than most books do.

In the final Author's Note, Wa..."

You make several good points. Mahalo for explaning it well and being informative of it! It sounds corny but I truly mean it. It makes me rethink things. Mahalo for that!

If I may🤗

🤙🇺🇸🎗🤙

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Words on Bathroom Walls (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Julia Walton (other topics)