Classical music lovers discussion

Composers > Morricone

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Héctor (last edited Mar 07, 2008 12:47PM) (new)

message 3: by Florita (new)

Florita (ms_rita) | 220 comments Mod
He's our friend on myspace! :cool:

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert | 19 comments I'm sure there are a few music purists who find him vulgar, but I'm a huge admirer of Morricone's work and love the way he crosses so many musical genres, from baroque to rock, jazz and avant-garde. he's written some of the most beautiful melodies of the last century, among them the two posted by Hector.
(Incidentally, if there's anyone on this list unfamiliar with his work, the extraordinary recording he did with Yo-Yo Ma a few years ago is an excellent introduction...)

message 7: by Matthew (last edited Jan 24, 2009 04:30PM) (new)

Matthew | 6 comments I believe Morricone is on par with the classic and romantic greats. I am skeptical of the "purists who find him vulgar". Would their reason be because his music is eminently hummable with recognizable melodies? Or perhaps because he deigns to write for the cinema? Oh, the effrontery!

message 8: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 61 comments LOL Matthew!

message 10: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 61 comments Hi Hector, Robert, Florita, and Matthew,
My classical violist daughter, in addition to playing symphonic and quartet music, performs with a Morricone inspired octet. It's called 'Beat Circus'(Boston) and the pieces are written by the 'ringleader' Brian Carpenter. The music is rich and multi-layered. It's 'americana' with an edge. Here is a link to an interview that just appeared in the Boston Herald.
Beat Circus http://www.bostonherald.com/entertain...
I have also posted some photos on the photo section of this topic. My daughter, Jordan Voelker, plays viola, violin, musical saw, and sings back-up. The photo of the baby exploring sounds on his little piano is not part of the band. He is Henrik, my infant grandson.

message 11: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 61 comments The link looks incomplete, but I tried it and it works.

'Beat Circus' will play in Cambridge, MA, October 24 if I remember correctly. Hmm, I think that's tomorrow.

message 12: by Héctor (new)

Héctor I found it!! (but only a part)...

Morricone - Sicilian Clan (by Beat Circus)

message 13: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 61 comments Whoa, I've never seen that video fragment before.
Good finding, Hector.
Yes, that's Beat Circus all right. Too bad about the poor photography and the people talking in the audience, but they're playing in a club, not a concert hall.
Beat Circus just released a new album, "The Boy from Black Mountain". Some of the songs refer to stories from the South by Faulkner ('As I Lay Dying') and Flannery O'Connor (several).