The Catholic Book Club discussion

The Life of Catherine of Sienna: By Her Confessor the Blessed Raymond of Capua
This topic is about The Life of Catherine of Sienna
Life of St. Catherine of Sienna > The author: Blessed Raymond of Capua

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manuel (last edited Jul 02, 2018 02:31AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Manuel Alfonseca | 1643 comments Mod
Comment on the author of this book, whose life and works is partially disclosed by his biography of St. Catherine.

The Blessed Raymond of Capua is not a simple and credulous man whose imagination can be easily seduced, but a religious man of profound knowledge and renowned sanctity, who relates what he saw and heard. A descendant of Pierre des Vignes, Chancellor of Frederick the Holy Roman Emperor, he entered in the Order of St. Dominick, where he exercised important offices. He was the confessor of St. Catharine, whom he accompanied in her journeys to France and Italy. In 1380 he was named General Master of his order, which he governed during nineteen years.

Manuel Alfonseca | 1643 comments Mod
The edition I have of this book is a Spanish translation, originally published in 1947, now made available free, in digital format, at the Biblioteca Virtual Cervantes (Cervantes Virtual Library).

Surprisingly, the author of the book appears in this edition as San Francisco de Capua (St. Francis of Capua). This is strange, as the author was really called Raimundo (Raymond), rather than Francis, and he is not a Saint, but a Blessed.

I had the idea that perhaps this was a different book, so I got an English edition authored by Bl. Raymond of Capua and compared both books. The texts are identical, except that they are translations into different languages. Therefore the Spanish edition must have a wrong author.

message 3: by Bice (new)

Bice (bicebeechay) | 111 comments That is very interesting about the Author.

Mariangel | 584 comments I liked the passage where Raymond refers that at first he was not sure that Catherine's visions were not imaginations, and decided to ask her to obtain from God a great contrition for his sins. Good thinking on his part: if the visions had come from the devil or from her imagination, his request would have been impossible.

Fonch | 1457 comments In my opinion the Raymond Capua`s styles is closer to the Jacob of the Vortex, that the books that i usually to read.

Fonch | 1457 comments Mariangel wrote: "I liked the passage where Raymond refers that at first he was not sure that Catherine's visions were not imaginations, and decided to ask her to obtain from God a great contrition for his sins. Goo..."

About the views it is necessary to be a bit skeptical or not falling in tricks. he views must be analyzed. Of course it is positive the honesty and the religious nature o the person as it is the case of Saint Catherine of Siena.