Reading the Detectives discussion

Group reads > September 2018 group read - winner!

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 9408 comments Mod
It's time to nominate for our September group read.

You are invited to nominate books which were written in the Golden Age or slightly later, or those which were written later but are set in the era.

Just one nomination per group member, please. Also, only one book by any individual writer can be nominated per month.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 612 comments Gin and Murder by Josephine Pullein-Thompson.

It was a kindle freebie for a while, so a few of us may have picked it up. :)

message 3: by Rosina (new)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) | 847 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Gin and Murder by Josephine Pullein-Thompson.

It was a kindle freebie for a while, so a few of us may have picked it up. :)"

There's a name from my childhood! It's available on Kindle Unlimited, although no longer free for all.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 10512 comments Mod
Currently 99p on kindle, I am going to nominate something slightly different:

The Killings At Badger's Drift The Killings At Badger's Drift (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #1) by Caroline Graham

'Simply the best detective writer since Agatha Christie' The Sunday Times

A book that will glue you from beginning to end. If you love Agatha Christie, you'll adore Caroline Graham, with characters who charm and murderers who terrorise. Named by the CWAs as one of 'The Top 100 Crime Novels of All Time', The Killings at Badger's Drift is the first spectacular novel in the Midsomer Murders series, the novel that inspired the ITV hit drama, now featuring an exclusive foreword by John Nettles who played best-loved TV detective and star of Midsomer Murders, DCI Tom Barnaby.

The village of Badger's Drift is the essence of tranquillity. But when resident and well-loved spinster Miss Simpson takes a stroll in the nearby woods, she stumbles across something she was never meant to see, and there's only one way to keep her quiet.

Miss Simpson's death is not suspicious, say the villagers. But Miss Lucy Bellringer refuses to rest: her friend has been murdered. She is sure of it.

She calls on Detective Chief Inspector Barnaby to investigate, and it isn't long until the previously unseen seamy side of Badger's Drift is brought to light.

But as old rivalries, past loves and new scandals surface, the next murder is not far away.

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2176 comments As we are now going to read the second E.R Punshon as a buddy read I would like to nominate Duplicate Death by Georgette Heyer The third in the Inspector Hemingway series.

Inspector Hemingway has his work cut out for him when a seemingly civilized game of Duplicate Bridge leads to a double murder. The crimes seem identical, but were they carried out by the same hand? Things become even more complicated when the fiancée of the inspector's young friend Timothy Kane becomes Hemingway's prime suspect. Kane is determined to prove the lady's innocence-but when he begins digging into her past, he finds it's more than a little bit shady...

message 6: by Susan (new)

Good nomination, Jill. I loved Envious Casca.

message 7: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Petkus | 43 comments A book by Catherine Aird. Really loved A Dead Liberty but may be hard to get

message 8: by Judy (new)

A Dead Liberty is on Kindle in the UK, Lorraine, but I see it is number 12 in a series? First in the series, The Religious Body, is also on Kindle here if that tempts you. I don't know what the availability in other countries is like.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Can I throw an Agatha Christie into the mix with the first Tommy and Tuppence The Secret Adversary The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie

message 10: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Petkus | 43 comments Thanks Judy, then my pick will be The Religious Body by Catherine Aird

message 11: by Susan (new)

Thanks, Lorraine.

The Religious Body The Religious Body (Inspector Sloan, #1) by Catherine Aird

Detective Inspector C. D. Sloan prays he will find a nun’s murderer in this crime novel by CWA Diamond Dagger winner Catherine Aird

The day begins like any other for Sister Mary St. Gertrude. When her alarm sounds at 5 a.m., Sister Mary begins rousting her convent sisters from their beds, starting with the Reverend Mother. Down the Order she goes with a knock and a warm blessing. But when the young nun reaches Sister Anne’s door, there is no answer. She assumes that Sister Anne got up early, and continues on her way.

But later, when a fellow nun leaves a bloody thumbprint on the sheet music for a hymn, and Sister Anne is nowhere to be found, it becomes apparent that something is very wrong. Then Sister Anne’s body is found at the bottom of a steep set of stairs, her veil askew and her head crushed.

Religious Body introduces the sophisticated Detective Inspector C. D. Sloan along with his eager and trustworthy sidekick, Detective Constable Crosby, and the acerbic Superintendent Leeyes in a mystery of holy proportions that will have readers guessing until the last page.

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2176 comments I really enjoy Catherine Aird, but so far have only read the first 2 as the others were hard to get, but now I think they maybe easier.Mine unfortunately are all small print.

message 13: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1441 comments The Lady Vanishes by Ethel Lina White, published in 1936.

Iris Carr is a beautiful, young socialite on her way back home to England after vacationing in Europe. Feeling terribly alone and afraid, she finds comfort in the company of a strange woman she knows only as "Miss Froy." But comfort soon turns to horror when Miss Froy mysteriously vanishes without a trace. Fearing madness, risking death, Iris desperately tries to solve the sudden disappearance of her traveling companion-a woman no one else on the journey remembers seeing at all!

Also a good movie by Alfred Hitchcock.

Looks like currently available in US on Kindle for $1.03!

message 14: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2176 comments Jan C wrote: "The Lady Vanishes by Ethel Lina White, published in 1936.

Iris Carr is a beautiful, young socialite on her way back home to England after vacationing in Europe. Feeli..."

I think this is also called The Wheel Spins

message 15: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1441 comments Jill wrote: "Jan C wrote: "The Lady Vanishes by Ethel Lina White, published in 1936.

Iris Carr is a beautiful, young socialite on her way back home to England after vacationing in..."

You appear to be correct: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1.... I appear to be reading it as well as Lady Vanishes.

message 16: by Susan (new)

On paperback and kindle as The Lady Vanishes in the UK, as part of Pan's 70th Anniversary editions.

http://www.foyles.co.uk/Pan-70th

Love the retro covers! Some great choices this month - I want to read all of them...

message 17: by Judy (new)

The poll is now open - please cast your votes!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 18: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 254 comments Difficult to choose. I want to read them all!

message 19: by Judy (new)

I agree, Tracey! The Killings at Badger's Drift is in the lead at the moment, but it's looking quite close.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Some excellent nominations - will be interesting to read whichever wins.

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 3004 comments Mod
I haven't decided yet! A couple would be pleasant rereads.

message 22: by Judy (new)

Looking like Inspector Barnaby investigating events at Badger's Drift at the moment, but there are still a few days to vote!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 23: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jul 19, 2018 10:55AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Judy wrote: "Looking like Inspector Barnaby investigating events at Badger's Drift at the moment, but there are still a few days to vote!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1......"

Planning on it. Made my purchase a couple of days ago.

And I'm looking forward to it. too. It's been several years since I watched any of Barnaby in the series.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Hmm I am fairly sure this is on my Kindle TBR list - so I will be glad to read it!

message 25: by Susan (new)

I thought it might be a bit risky, nominating something that isn't GA, so I am glad there is some enthusiasm for Inspector Barnaby :)

message 26: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2176 comments I read the first two in this series almost a decade ago, and as I know I definitely gave these books away, I won't be rebuying. The only thing I can remember which miffed me , was that in the books Barnaby is a cat person, whereas on tv he is a dog person. Hope you all enjoy the read.

message 27: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 3004 comments Mod
It's so hard to get cats to act on command.

message 28: by Judy (new)

I love the dog in the series. I don’t think the previous actor, John Nettles, had a pet at all?

message 29: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1441 comments Judy wrote: "I love the dog in the series. I don’t think the previous actor, John Nettles, had a pet at all?"

His daughter brought in a cat once and he turned out to be allergic.

message 30: by Susan (new)

I have never seen the show. I love cats, but can't have one, as my husband has asthma and my daughter has always been terrified of all animals, especially dogs and cats. She wasn't even keen at visiting the newborn ducklings hatched at her school this year!

message 31: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1441 comments I hope she gets over her fear. A visit with a cute little puppy or kitten wouldn't do it? Not sure I'd be crazy about newborn ducklings either.

message 32: by Susan (new)

She has got a bit better over the years, but has never found kittens or puppies cute. She does like babies, at least, so doesn't mind the human equivalent :)

message 33: by Judy (new)

I haven't seen all of the series - my household was very late in getting into it, so we still have lots more to watch! We always used to have cats and I still love them, but my husband won't have them because they scare off the birds in the garden.

message 34: by Tania (new)

Tania | 448 comments I heard a Vixen shrieking on the other side of the valley last night, immediately made me think inspector Barnaby must be stalking through the woods in search of clues.

message 35: by Judy (new)

We have a winner! It's the first in the Midsomer Murders series, The Killings at Badger's Drift by Caroline Graham.

Full results:

The Killings at Badger's Drift (Chief Inspector Barnaby #1) 12 votes, 35.3%
Gin and Murder (DCI Flecker #1) 7 votes, 20.6%
The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence #1) 6 votes, 17.6%
The Religious Body (Inspector Sloan #1) 5 votes, 14.7%
The Lady Vanishes 3 votes, 8.8%
Duplicate Death (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #3) 1 vote, 2.9%

message 36: by Susan (new)

Hurrah! That will be my holiday read, then :)

message 37: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Petkus | 43 comments This will be a reread for me but I'm going to start with Anthony Horwitz tv adaption of the first Midsomer Murders