The Catholic Book Club discussion

The Life of Catherine of Sienna: By Her Confessor the Blessed Raymond of Capua
This topic is about The Life of Catherine of Sienna
Life of St. Catherine of Sienna > Catherine's private life

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Manuel Alfonseca | 1630 comments Mod
Comment about St. Catherine's life as a private person: her infancy, her vote of virginity, her struggles with her family, her mortifications, her decision to be a Dominican tertiary...

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 719 comments I was surprised to learn she was a twin, and sad that her mother gave up on breastfeeding most of her children.

so harsh that her sister Bonaventura's death in childbirth is affirmed as punishment for the "sin" of trying to help Catherine prepare for what her family wants for her, marriage!

Like others, I am very troubled by her self-flagellation. It's incomprehensible to me that One who chose to be incarnate in a body like ours would inspire someone not only to do without food and sleep (to what end?) but to wound the body He prepared for her. Growing in the Spirit does NOT entail the body wasting away. That's based on the misconception that "flesh" in the Bible refers to the physical body rather than the selfish desires that lure us away from wanting to do God's will. I can't help wondering how much longer she might have lived and served God if her lifestyle had been more moderate.

I love her intimacy with Jesus and the saints, e.g. walking up and down the room praying the Psalms together.

I love the image of intercessory prayer as a nail like the one Jael drives into Sisera's forehead.

Fonch | 1440 comments The topic of self-flagellation were practiced by many saints. I am more worried for the cutting o the braids, and the customs of not feeding, or only sleepig half hour. It is not posible to the rest of the mankind.

Fonch wrote: "The topic of self-flagellation were practiced by many saints. I am more worried for the cutting o the braids, and the customs of not feeding, or only sleepig half hour. It is not posible to the res..."

Fonch, I don't understand why you think that cutting her braids (which after all is just hair) is not possible for the rest of human beings (:-)

Fonch | 1440 comments Manuel wrote: "Fonch wrote: "The topic of self-flagellation were practiced by many saints. I am more worried for the cutting o the braids, and the customs of not feeding, or only sleepig half hour. It is not posi..."

This scene reminds to me the critics of the Sepherd Brockelhurst in "Jane Eyre". She can cut her braids, but in my opinion it had been beter to change her haircut. PD. I miss a lot my friend :-). PD II. I am going to start the second part.

Fonch wrote: "...but in my opinion it had been beter to change her haircut."

Fonch, you didn't get it right. Changing her haircut would have been reversible, her family could have put pressure on her to change back to a more alluring haircut. Cutting her braids, on the other hand, would be final (for some time). Something like burning her ships.

Fonch | 1440 comments Manuel wrote: "Fonch wrote: "...but in my opinion it had been beter to change her haircut."

Fonch, you didn't get it right. Changing her haircut would have been reversible, her family could have put pressure on ..."

Well perhaps a bit excesive, but all right. I have started to read Tarzan, that i promised to you :-).