Bailey's/Orange Women's Fiction Group discussion

Elmet
This topic is about Elmet
2018 Book of the Month > July 2018 Elmet

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Penny (new) - added it

Penny | 682 comments Mod
Still reading Sing Unburied Sing but I do have a copy of this so as usual will be a bit behind!!!

message 3: by Penny (new) - added it

Penny | 682 comments Mod
anyone read this one?

message 4: by Penny (new) - added it

Penny | 682 comments Mod
As usual I am miles behind - I have this one and hope I will enjoy it more that Sing Unburied Sing.

message 5: by Penny (new) - added it

Penny | 682 comments Mod
Did anyone read this? i have started (yes I know - I am slow!) but the writing is superb - am hoping the plot lives up to the writing quality

Lagullande | 76 comments Penny wrote: "Did anyone read this? i have started (yes I know - I am slow!) but the writing is superb - am hoping the plot lives up to the writing quality"

Yes, I really liked this one. I wouldn't have minded if it had won the Booker (it did make it to the shortlist).

I found it very atmospheric and wasn't surprised that it was listed for the 2018 Ondaatje Prize, which is awarded to a work that evokes "the spirit of a place".

message 7: by Penny (new) - added it

Penny | 682 comments Mod
interesting!
I've never heard of that prize - i just looked it up and its been going for a while and I haven't heard of any of the winners - and there's me thinking I read quite widely. Might be something I take a look at it as i like atmospheric books

Lagullande | 76 comments Penny wrote: "interesting!
I've never heard of that prize - i just looked it up and its been going for a while and I haven't heard of any of the winners - and there's me thinking I read quite widely. Might be so..."

I can recommend the 2017 winner, Golden Hill, if you like historical fiction, and the 2014 winner This Boy (even if you happened not to agree with his politics).

message 9: by Penny (new) - added it

Penny | 682 comments Mod
OK thanks for recommending them I ll add them to my list

Bailey's/Orange Women's Fiction Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Golden Hill (other topics)
This Boy (other topics)
Elmet (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Fiona Mozley (other topics)