What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA fantasy about a magic/fighting school. Involved a youngish boy who grew older as the series went on. Lots of worldbuilding and corruption. Had a magical sidekick who looked like a golden porcupine

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary LePage | 2 comments All I can remember was it was a YA series set in a sort of magic school, but it was also combined with physical fitness skills and fighting. The main character had no knowledge of it's existence before he was taken there, and the school consisted of a building with dorms, etc. as well as a lot of grounds that included a magical soccer pitch, a lake that selkies lived in, underground training areas that were classified to students with a certain level, and a forest where the first year students were taken to find their familiars/pets.

The most vivid memory I have of this is the main character finding and bonding with his pet who will end up being his companion for life. I believe the name of the pet was Nik, and he was described as something that looked like a golden porcupine. He turned out to be a very rare type of animal and I think the main character could make useful things from his quills?

Later on in the series the main character leaves the school and fights the evil things out in the world, theres a ton of worldbuilding and strife and the character starts at about 13 but I think he is a young adult, probably 20 ish, at the end of the series.

I read this book about 6 years ago, I think. Possibly earlier. I believe I was around 12.

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary LePage | 2 comments SOLVED! by a reddit user. It's The Hound of Rowan!